For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
OttoPylot's profile
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

Monday, December 21st, 2015 2:31 AM

WiFi Calling and the MicroCell - Some Answers

The following is basically a summary of what AT&T had to say about WiFi calling (WiFi-C) in response to my questions and questions that were posted/sent to me. There is nothing earth shattering here and is pretty much what everyone expected.

WiFi-C is essentially offered for the same reason that the MicroCell is. It is intended to patch holes in coverage, primarily in your home. It is not intended to replace cellular. The phone should attach to WiFi-C whenever cellular strength is weak/unsteady and a strong WiFi connection is present.

HD Voice only matters for the purposes of handing-off to a tower. However, a 2G/3G device (i.e. the MicroCell) isn’t capable of HD Voice so calls will not hand off from WiFi-C to the MicroCell (or a 3G connection) because the 3G tower cannot “see” the WiFi call. This is due to network/technology structuring.

So, if you are in a mixed environment and want to use WiFi-C in home, your only option is to enable Airplane Mode to turn off the cellular radio and force the phone to connect to your WiFi network. AT&T will probably not change the preference for cellular over WiFi because they are selling a cellular service, not a WiFi-C service. If there is anyway to change the preference it will have to come from Apple. Personally I don’t think Apple will change it either because it’s just not a priority for them.

According the AT&T, if you have wireless access points in your house and move from point A to point B, the WiFi-C call will drop because your wireless access points don’t have handing off protocols between them. Towers can hand off to each other because they are connected to each other by a base controller. I’m not convinced that this is true in all cases of WiFi-C. Even though your wireless access points don’t communicate (hand off) directly with each other, they do go thru your router, which to me, would act as a base controller. My guess is that your mileage will vary on this one depending on how you have your wireless network setup, distance between access points, and other wifi-related issues.

The strength of the WiFi signal needed for successful calls is probably close to the same as it is for cellular calls. If the signal strength gets close to -90dBm calling may be iffy. At -95dBm to -100dBm or lower you will probably start to drop calls or lose them altogether. Any issues that affect your WiFi will affect WiFi-C so keep that in mind.

WiFi-C for Apple devices use ports 500 and 4500. Those are two of the same four ports that are required for the MicroCell. When there have been port issues with the MicroCell, port 4500 seems to be the culprit in a lot of cases. So, if you experience MicroCell issues and port 4500 is blocked or is having issues, you may have WiFi-C issues as well. Unfortunately, port issues can only be corrected by your hardware and/or the ISP. AT&T has no control over that.

Will WiFi-C come to Android devices? That’s a good question. The challenges to implementing WiFi-C on the multitude of Android-based devices and mfrs is daunting at best. The iPhone was easy because it’s only one device and OS. Android is a bit more difficult so it’s anybody’s guess as to if, and when, it will be offered. iPhone models earlier than the iPhone 6 will not be able to take advantage of WiFi-C either because they can’t be provisioned for VoLTE (Voice over LTE) which is a base requirement for HD Voice. Both terms have been used interchangeably so the distinction between the two is probably only minor, if at all.

Of course all of the above is from AT&T so it can change without notice, and I’m sure there are going to be instances where actual experiences will differ.

So for now, if you want to use WiFi-C in home you need to either;

1. Disable the MicroCell altogether and sell it.
  2. Enable Airplane Mode so that your phone can only connect to your WiFi network.
  3. Remove your phone number from the MicroCell. If the phone number used to register the MicroCell is the same as the WiFi-C capable phone, then the MicroCell will probably have to be deactivated and then re-registered to another non-WiFi-C capable phone on the same account. There is some disagreement on whether this works easily or not. I haven’t actually tested that myself so if anyone else has, please let me know.

Remember, you cannot hand off from WiFi-C to cellular (2G/3G) and vice versa, and

cellular will always be the preferred connectivity protocol when the signal is stronger and/or more stable.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Scholar

• 

229 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the update. I still prefer Wi-Fi Calling over my decommissioned MicroCell. However my phone won't always switch to AT&T Wi-Fi at my home - even when signal is -100 or less, or when I switch on Airplane Mode+WiFi. Then there are times when it switches to AT&T Wi-Fi when I don't necessarily want it to - like the screenshot taken below when I was in a Waikiki hotel last week connected to a crummy 3x1 Mbps wi-fi connection. Notice the -82 signal strength from the cell network.

IMG_0438.jpg

It seems to me the consistency of connecting to AT&T Wi-Fi where you want it to (home) or not (hotels) could be resolved by the phone's geofencing capabilities. When I walk by an Apple store I get a notification that an Apple Store is nearby. Why can't my phone automatically switch to AT&T Wi-Fi when at home or other predetermined place that I specify?

Another thing mentioned in your post: I too have noticed that a call while on AT&T Wi-Fi will NOT drop when my home wi-fi network switches from one router to another while roaming about.

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

2,832 emails Smiley Surprised I thought I was popular Smiley Wink

Yeah, there does seem to be some variation in what the iPhone can and can not do with regards to WiFi-C. You are the second person to mention that you can move from Point A to Point B in your house witout losing WiFi-C. Keep in mind that some of the information that I posted came from the AT&T Wireless SME's so accuracy has to be taken with a grain of salt.

I think overall your impression of WiFi-C is pretty much what most people experience. It's better and more reliable than the MicroCell, but it still has a few oddities. Again, WiFi-C is just meant to help fill in coverage holes and not meant to be a full  scale replacement for cellular. Changes and improvements will have to come from Apple and not the other way around. AT&T is still tweaking and expanding LTE which seems to have an effect, at times, on phones when LTE is enabled. I think it's just going to take some time for the phones to "smarten up" on when, and how, to connect to a preferred signal. There is also some WiFi projects in the works so who knows what's going to happen down the road. At least iPhone users can enjoy WiFi-C on AT&T while the unfortunate Android folks are still waiting. However, with over 12,000 Android devices out there, compatibility across the board is just about impossible, at least with the AT&T network.

Thanks for the update.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I was able to re-assign the MCELL to a different number in my account by de-activating it and re-activating it. I removed my number from the list of permitted numbers to try to force the phone to use the WiFi calling. It still seems to find the MCELL. I restarted the MCELL and did a reset on my iPhone, but it still connectcts to the MCELL unless I put the phone in airplane mode. Any suggestions to stop having it connect to the MCELL? Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

The iPhone will always preferentially look for, and try to connect to, a cellular signal. The fact that you have removed your phone number altogether from the primary and/or Approved Users List only means that the MicroCell won't recognize the phone and connect. Does your phone display the M-Cell alpha tag? The iPhone is "seeing" the 3G signal from the MicroCell because it's local and it trys to connect, but can't because the MicroCell doesn't recognize the phone. Mixed environments are difficult because of this cellular preference by the iPhone. The only way around this is to power off the MicroCell or use Airplane Mode on the iPhone to disable the phone's cellular radio. This is not a problem with the MicroCell, it's how the iPhone is designed. WiFi-C is only meant to fill in "holes" in coverage when the celluar signal is very weak or non-existent.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the answer. I have another Microcell in my office from which I removed my number from also, and the phone finds and stays on ATT Wi-Fi there without a problem. Not sure what the difference in the two locations is, but thanks for the feedback!

Kathy

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

There could be just enough of a signal from your home MicroCell and a nearby tower to confuse the iPhone. I doubt if Apple will update the system so that the phone's connection preference is user configurable.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.