What is happening with 3G?
JakeJ35's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, June 15th, 2014 10:47 PM

Why can't I use a MicroCell in Fairfield Montana

I have a very limited signal from AT&T and wanted to put in a MicroCell.  When I called in I was told Fairfield Montana was not an autorized area because I was getting a signal from an Alltel site which makes no sense to me be cause all of the Alltel sites in Montana were converted over to AT&T.  

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

AT&T has what's called MicroCell Service Areas. What determines a MicroCell Service Area is not really clear to me, but it is, and can be, different from the macrocell (tower) service area. It could be that the Alltel conversion has not been updated in the AT&T service database or that the particular tower that serves your area hasn't been converted over yet. I'd send a pm to CustomerCare (link in my sig) with your problem and see if there is anything they can do, or find out. It could also be that the infrastructure is still not in place to connect your GPS to a MicroCell Service Area. Cell phone coverage, no matter how good or poor, doesn't automatically make you available for AT&T VoIP.

Employee

• 

156 Messages

10 years ago

That does seem odd that you wouldn't be available for microcell service in your area, however there are areas that are not allowed to have microcell, the reason behind it has more to do with broadcast restrictions i believe. I would double check with customer service to verify though. Hope this helps!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

^^^^^ that's why I suggested the OP contact CustomerCare. Calling phone support will more than likely be an exercise in futility.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for your input.  I sent a PM to customer care as you sugested today and am waiting to see what I hear from them.  I have talked to a couple other CSRs and have received different answers from each one.  I really wish that I could hear from someone that works in the group that maintains the Micro Cell data and really tell me why they can't be used here.  When I am getting the message:

FTC122: The location provided for the AT&T 3G MicroCell device does not appear to be within an area AT&T is authorized to provide service. Re-enter the address to ensure it is correct, or please relocate the device. If you are unable to resolve, please call 800.331.0500 for assistance. /n [AFA|AddFemtocellAddress|30000062014]

Yet AT&T is selling service to people all over this area.  Does not make any sense.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

CSR's just don't have the training or support to answer questions other than routine. Some of them refer back to the Tech Guide but that is not an officially approved AT&T document even though, in my humble opinion, it should be.

The MicroCell database is actually an IT/Engineering responsibility which is a separate division altogether from the MicroCell Support folks.

Again, macrocell service (tower) is separate from MicroCell (femtocell) service. Cellular service doesn't automatically mean femtocell service. There's a whole different infrastructure that needs to be in place before your internet connection is able to connect to the AT&T mobility servers.

Who's your ISP and what kind of service do you have?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I have fiber to the home and 6 meg down and 1 meg up.  The unit was able to connect to the AT&T servers, but the responese back is talking about this is an area AT&T is not athorized for service - The location provided for the AT&T 3G MicroCell device does not appear to be within an area AT&T is authorized to provide service. -  even though we are getting literature from AT&T at this address inviting me and many others to become an AT&T customers since Cell one is closing their doors.  I probably am aking this to simple, but I would think that someone somewhere to add 59436 to their servers.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

If AT&T is moving into your area to fill the void of the current cell provider there's a lot of backend stuff that needs to be done and getting cell service up and running is priority one, the MicroCell is the last priority. However, the more that AT&T cellular customers call and complain that they can't get in-home coverage the more likely AT&T will work on the MicroCell Service Area issues. AT&T could be working on that now for all we know but that kind of information is more than likely proprietary until it is released. Let me see what I can find out.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.