For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
BeckyMax's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, July 20th, 2017 3:53 PM

Transferring Micro cell to my name

My husband has an AT&T cell phone provided by his employer and billed on their corporate account.  We are purchasing a home and the current owner is leaving the micro cell for us.   Am I able to set this up without having AT&T service in our name?  We do have a uverse account at our current house, unfortunately Uverse is not available at the new home.

Becky

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@BeckyMax - ok, understood. Then if you just continue with Charter (no VoIP service) then you should be ok if you can register/activate the MicroCell. It's worth a shot. If you use their Charter equipment you should be set. If not, then you'll still have to make sure that the equipment that you bring meets the router requirements.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@BeckyMax - the MicroCell is independent of Uverse or any other internet service.

You need to have a post paid AT&T cellular account to register and activate a MicroCell and you will also need to make sure that the owner deactivates their MicroCell before leaving it for you in case you choose to use it. They will have to go to their myAT&T MicroCell Settings page and deactivate it there. If they don't, you'll end up with a bookend.

Using a corporate supplied cell phone to activate a personal MicroCell  has been done in the past (rarely) but it is a real pain in the *** to get it to activate. I wouldn't recommend it.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I would love to be able to avoid it, but my husband works from home and has to have service.  Maybe we will find out if we can forward his calls to our home phone.  

My sister has an AT&T account, perhaps I can have her activate it and then add all our phones?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@BeckyMax - By home phone do you mean AT&T's Home Phone or do mean an ordinary landline?

If your sister has a post paid AT&T account, she could register and activate the MicroCell at her house and let it go for a couple of days to make sure it is ok. Then, she could take it over to your house, change the address on the myAT&T MicroCell Settings page from hers to yours, and Save. Her phone number would still be listed as the primary number and then she could just add other AT&T phones, pre paid and post paid, to the Approved Users List and those phones should register to the MicroCell so they could be used at your house. The idea of that is one could take their MicroCell to a summer home and use it as long as all of the other conditions of registration/activation, and other requirements are met.

If it's a white MicroCell those are the old models. They still work in most cases but most folks develop issues with the ac adapter, which is easily fixable, but it can be frustrating trying to setup a MicroCell with a failing adapter. If you do go with the previous owner's MicroCell, and they properly deactivate it, then we can show you how to check the adapter.

Keep in mind that all of this is dependent on your ISP and equipment. I would read my Tech Guide (see link in my sig line) on router requirements, etc beforehand.

If your phones are WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) capable, then you wouldn't need the MicroCell and you could use your WiFi connection. I much prefer WiFi-C instead of the MicroCell but we are a mixed environment so I need to keep the MicroCell online.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

@OttoPylot,
by home phone I mean a Charter Communications line bundled with my cable,
so a voip line. With Sprint I used to have to pay for each call that was
forwarded. I will have to look into the fees with AT&T if we went that
route.

Your suggestion on my sisters account seems like it might be workable.

The MiroCell is black, I think it would be less than 2 years old, the
people we are buying he house from lived there just 2 years.

Thanks for the link I will read more on this a bit later.

WiFi calling may also be an option, he has a newer iPhone. a 5S I believe

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@BeckyMax - WiFi-C is available on iPhone 5SE and above. A 5S is not capable.

If you have Charter VoIP there may be an issue. A lot of times they will provide the hardware (router or gateway) that is configured for their service which may not be compatible with the MicroCell. Charter is, and has, gone thru some networking changes with their merger with TWC/Spectrum so we have seen issues if you have Charter VoIP and want to use AT&T's VoIP service which is the MicroCell. Charter will not help you with the MicroCell and will in fact blame any problems on the MicroCell and not their network configuration. The MicroCell can and does work quite well with Charter as long as you don't have their VoIP service  and specially configured hardware.

The black MicroCell (DPH-154) is the newest model but it still wouldn't hurt to check the ac adapter just to be sure. Easy to do.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I'm sorry, I don't think I was clear in my reply. We would be using
charter voip if it came down to not being able to get the microcell to work
with husbands phone. In that case, we would just forward his calls to our
charter line and not use the microcell at all.

The current owners have charter for internet and the microcell so I'm
hopeful we can get it to work, but if it doesn't we will just forward his
calls from AT&T to the home line or possibly his Sprint line.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate all of your assistance especially the written info that you took the time to assemble.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

Thank you. If I'm not around @Avedis53 pops in and helps as well.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.