What is happening with 3G?
rjniles's profile

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

Monday, September 19th, 2016 9:06 PM

Thanks Otto Pylot

Came home today from 2 week vacation to a non working Micro Cell. Power light on but nothing else. Remembering Otto's sage advise about checking the power supply (easy for me as I have a complete spare Micro Cell and power supply), I swapped the power supply to my spare. Bingo! 5 minutes later I was up amd running. My Micro Cell is powered off a UPS so it is not an issue of a power hit. Maybe just old age. Now I am in the market for a new power supply and will use Otto's advice to get the correct one.

Thanks again Otto.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

@rjniles - you're welcome. As the MicroCell ages, we are starting to see more and more ac adapter problems. The adapters are pretty cheap to begin with and to have them last as long as they do is amazing. My old MicroCell, DPH-151, still works with its original adapter but it has since been relegated to the electronic closet ,but my guess is that if I put it back into use, it would die.

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

8 years ago

Otto,

Here is the replacement powewr supply I am ordering (12 VDC, 2.0 Amp) Under $5 with shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-2A-24W-Power-Supply-AC-to-DC-Adapter-for-3528-Flexible-LED-Strip-Light-/121635981504?hash=item1c5211c8c0:g:1QQAAOSwpDdVQCrd

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

That should work even tho the output amp is higher. Check it with a voltmeter before use to get a baseline in case problems develop later on. $5 incl shipping seems pretty cheap even for eBay.

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

8 years ago

When I receive the new power supply I will connect to my working Micro Cell and test it out. I will post feed back, good or bad. For $5 it is a good insurance policy.

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

8 years ago

An intersting aside. Thought I would test the power suppy that went bad. Connected a DVM to the output of the supply and got 36VDC. Connected a 12 volt lamp as a load and the voltage dropped to about 3VDC. Classic symptom of a transformer with an open secondary winding.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Yep. That's a typical failed power supply. Thanks for reporting back your test.

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

8 years ago

Otto,

As promised here is the feed back on the $5 FleaBay power supply I ordered as a replacement.

It works perfectly. My only complaint is the cord is shorter than the OEM and I have to use a extension cord to reach the receptacle.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Excellent. Thanks for reporting back.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.