What is happening with 3G?
brutus3750's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, November 3rd, 2014 9:13 PM

Terrible voice quality - LG G2 on 3G MicroCell

I have always had issues with the 3G MicroCell and the LG G2.  I am currently on my second G2 and my third Microcell.  To make a long story short, the issue I am having now is the outgoing voice quality is absoluty terrible.  Cracks, pops, cut-ins and outs, robotic voice, and anything else you can think of.  I have called my work phone and left several voice mails to verify that nobody can hear me.  However, I can hear the incoming voice crystal clear.  No indication that there is a bad connection at all until the other end says they can't hear me.  When not on the microcell, I don't get any complaints of voice quailty.

My wife has a Samsung S5.  After I left a voicemail with my G2 on my work phone, I did the same thing with the S5.  To my surprise, no issues and the outgoing voice quality is fine....not crystal clear, but good enough and didn't cut out at all.

I have done all the troubleshooting recommend in that Microcell .pdf and opened all the required ports on my Netgear N450 cable modem router.  I do have the Microcell going through an ethernet powerline connection, only to keep the Microcell in a window.  I don't think that setup an issue since the S5 works fine.  I am now on Cox with a 50Mps down and around 7Mps up.  My G2 has not been modified and I have the latest AT&T update.  I did turn off "Privacy Keeper" and "Noise Suppression".  Any other suggestions??

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

Typically poor voice quality is due to a line quality issue and not necessarily the MicroCell. Speeds are pretty much irrelevant as long as your downloads are a sustained 3.0Mbps or greater. PowerLine adapters can be problematic because some phones seem to handle the line quality issues better than others. I would run the VoIP test a couple of times to get a decent idea of your line quality. If it does turn out to be a line quality issue, that's something that can only be fixed by your ISP. Post  your results if you can.

The MicroCell is a dumb device in that all it does is establish and maintain a secure VPN to the AT&T mobility servers. If all of the lights are a solid green (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G) then that indicates that the MicroCell is working and has established connectivity. The rest is the wire between between the modem and AT&T.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

OttoPylot, thanks for your reply.  My results are below.  I have used my phone a couple times today and the sound quality has been fine.  I usually only hear complaints at night so I'm guessing it just the strain on Cox's network?  The download consistency of service is low and shows up as red on the report so not sure if that is causing a problem or not.  I will run another test while being plugged in to the Microcell directly to see if there is any difference.

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 10157 kbps
Upload speed: 14291 kbps
Download consistency of service: 29 %
Upload consistency of service: 86 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 68 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 51 ms
Average round trip time to server: 54 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 36397 kbps
Route concurrency: 3.5833383
Download TCP forced idle: 74 %
Maximum route speed: 10280 kbps

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.5 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

Your results don't look that bad. As I stated, PowerLine adapters can work but some phones may work better with that type of connection than others. Do you have anybody on your Approved User list with a different phone that you could use as a test? That may rule out the MicroCell altogether (and to be honest, I don't think its the MicroCell) and point back to a phone or your ISP.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I don't think it is the Microcell at this point either.  I think it is something with the G2 and using the phone at night as I don't get complaints during the day.  I know it sounds strange but like I said in the first post my wife has the Galaxy S5 and she does not have the issue day or night.

I ran another test while connected to the powerline adapter, the first one was on my wifi network.  I also tried through the Mircocell from its ethernet port but could not get a connection at all.

Speed test statistics

---------------------

Download speed: 24916 kbps

Upload speed: 13832 kbps

Download consistency of service: 41 %

Upload consistency of service: 98 %

Download test type: socket

Upload test type: socket

Maximum TCP delay: 36 ms

Average download pause: 1 ms

Minimum round trip time to server: 52 ms

Average round trip time to server: 53 ms

Estimated download bandwidth: 42265 kbps

Route concurrency: 1.696258

Download TCP forced idle: 77 %

Maximum route speed: --

VoIP test statistics

--------------------

Jitter: you --> server: 0.2 ms

Jitter: server --> you: 0.7 ms

Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %

Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %

Packet discards: 0.0 %

Packets out of order: 0.0 %

Estimated MOS score: 4.2

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Your VOIP tests don't show any issues to speak of.  I can certainly see the expected difference between the two tests since one is on WiFi and the other is "wired" via Powerline adapters.  I don't put much credence in the "consistency of service" numbers as they are calculated values and I haven't seen any correlation between those values and the real-life line quality of the connection.

IMHO, after reading what has been posted, it doesn't appear to me that the problem resides in the Mcell.  Yes, Powerline adapters can also be a problem and I say that from personal experience when I tried using them with my Mcell.  However, Powerline adapter/Mcell issues center around the Mcell dropping its connection due to interference from a home's AC wiring.  Voice distortion isn't a symptom of a Powerline adapter problem based on my observations and if it were, I'd expect to see distortion in both directions, not just outbound.

Based on your VOIP testing, your subscribed ISP bandwidth and your wife's S5 performance, my inclination is to point at your G2 as being the culprit.  In our time here on the forum, we've certainly seen other cellphones that for some reason don't play well with the Mcell.

That being said, the fact that your G2's inbound voice quality isn't affected and it's only the outbound voice quality makes me wonder if there is some other issue with your ISP connection.  The symptoms you describe are usually due to packet loss or packets that are delayed or out of order (jitter).  Robotic voice is indicative of excessive predictive insertion of voice packets by your hardware's digital signal processing capabilities.  Minor predictive insertion isn't really noticeable to the user and happens on a routine basis.  It's when the loss or gaps between voice packets become excessive that the predictive insertion function is overwhelmed and voices become weird sounding (robotic) or break up.  However, since both phones don't exhibit this, I'm inclined to rule this out.

Ultimately, the fact that your wife's phone works and yours doesn't brings me back to the G2 as being the prime suspect.  I would try Otto's suggestion of adding a friend with a different AT&T phone to your Approved User's list and seeing how it performs.        

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.