What is happening with 3G?
chrismorrisatl's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, April 6th, 2010 2:43 PM

Static IP address so I can set QOS

I would like to set a static IP address for my MicroCell so I can setup the QOS functionality on my router.  How can I do this?

--Chris Morris

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

452 Messages

14 years ago

The MicroCell is only capable of using DHCP.  If you can, try configuring your router to always assign a specific IP address to the MicroCell's MAC address. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

14 years ago

I need to connect the MicroCell to a router whose DHCP server has been disabled.

Note that for my ATT Motorola Backflip, 7 different technical support people—both ATT and Motorola—assured me there was no way to set a static IP address. Finally, a Level 2 Motorola technical support supervisor showed me how to do it (actually, quite simple).

Hence, I am frustrated by the "cannot be done" responses.

It would seem very short-sighted for ATT (and Cisco) to market a device that cannot communicate with routers that do not provide DHCP service.

Help needed.

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

14 years ago

I'm sure it can be done but they are not going to show you how to do it. The fact that it is a Cisco device it's probably going to be running a form of IOS firmware which you need to be educated on how to make changes and they are not going to do that. The second suggestion is the best one to shoot for, if you are going to run it in between the router just have your router reserve the address to that MAC.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

14 years ago

I must be missing something.

I understand how to use Mac address filtering to block connections (only devices whose Mac addresses have been registered will be permitted to connect). But I do not understand how to use Mac address filtering to assign an IP address and specify a subnet mask and dns servers when the router's dhcp is disabled.

Can a Linksys router be set to send an IP address and other information to only one device (specified by Mac address) and not to others?

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

14 years ago

Unfortantely you are correct, if you use the DHCP mac revesration then you can't specify DNS servers nor subnet mask. Basically what MAC reservation is in a nut shell is a DHCP/Static hybird, it allows you to take the DHCP address that you have in your range and statically assign MAC address so when those devices are connected or connecting they always get that specific DHCP address. Hope that helps you out

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

14 years ago

Check to see if your router allows you to specify QOS based on the MAC address of the device.  I know Linksys routers allow that.  IMO, it seems like a pretty basic feature.

Scholar

• 

303 Messages

14 years ago

@jspaloalto wrote:

Finally, a Level 2 Motorola technical support supervisor showed me how to do it (actually, quite simple).

Care to share? 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

14 years ago

Sure.

To set a static IP address on a Motorola Backflip:

Settings

Wireless controls

Wi-Fi [select/turn on]

Wi-Fi settings

menu button [lower left, with four squares; this is the step that I missed]

advanced

use static IP [select/turn on]

IP address [set the address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX]

gateway [set the gateway XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX]

mask [set the subnet mask XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX.XXXX]

DNS1 and DNS2 [set the DNS server addresses XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX—this may not be needed, but my DSL connection requires that I do this]

joel

Scholar

• 

120 Messages

14 years ago

what router (make and model) do you have - Many are capable of Static IP leasing where when a device requests an IP address via DHCP, it receives one allocated and defined by you - based on its MAC address.

I use this on my network to insure my Microcell (and most other devices) always receive the same IP - outside the range of the DHCP pool.

@chrismorrisatl wrote:

I would like to set a static IP address for my MicroCell so I can setup the QOS functionality on my router.  How can I do this?

--Chris Morris

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

14 years ago

Again, I must be missing something.

For the router that services my local network, DHCP is disabled. There is no DHCP. The router provides no addresses. The router provides no range of addresses. The router does not indicate the correct subnet mask. The router does not indicate accessible DNS servers.

Hence, any strategy that requires or involves DHCP cannot work.

At this point, even though ATT paid for it, I have returned the Micro-Cell. I will repurchase if anyone can explain how to set a static IP address and therefore connect it to my network.

Joel

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.