What is happening with 3G?
cook1956's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, October 27th, 2016 11:29 PM

Satellite blown out of orbit- microcell down

I have had a working microcell for years. First a white and then a black. It was working well and then all the lights went out except the on green light. When the power goes out it always had to be reset and I have always been able to get it up and working again. But now nothing. I just was sent a replacement and no go. I think the satelite is gone because the only light that is green is the on and no other light is on.  The ATT web site has listed no progress for activation for 2 days now. When I push the reset the wifi lights up for a second but then goes dark. Help I have no service. I live in the mountains of no service. Could the satelite have moved? Been blown out of orbit? Gone dark? 

Cook 1956

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

The "satellite" on the MicroCell is for GPS location/check only. The "WiFi" lights (the bars) indicate that you have connection to the AT&T Mobility Servers. It has nothing to do with WiFi. The MicroCell works just like a mini-tower by broadcasting a 3G signal and then using your internet connection to reach AT&T.

What kind of internet service do you have? The MicroCell is designed and intended for land-based internet connections only (DSL or cable). If you have satellite or wireless broadband you will have issues. The MicroCell can work on those types of connections but they are not supported by AT&T or us. If that's the type of internet service you have, there is nothing that AT&T or us can do.

That being said, are you using the original ac adapter that came with the white MicroCell? They have a tendency to fail faster than the actual MicroCell. AT&T has an annoying habit of sending out a replacement MicroCell, even the new one without a new adapter. I woud test the ac adapter with a voltmeter. It should read 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load. If not, the adapter is bad and that may be your problem with both MicroCell's.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

I agree with Otto about the AC adapter problem.  You should verify that the adapter is operating properly before doing anything else.  It is the most likely reason your Mcell suddenly stopped working.

As a side note concerning GPS satellites, there isn't just one GPS satellite in orbit, there are 32 of them with 31 in operation.  The Mcell, as well as any other GPS location device, needs to receive signals from a minimum of 4 satellites to determine its location.  The GPS satellites haven't disappeared or failed, trust me.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I have a new black microcell with a new adapter. Only the on light is green- no other lights. I am connected to the internet via an ethernet cord. This system has worked for several years- until lat week. It will not progress to activate- I have tried 4 x after making adjustments- chat has not helped . : (

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

Who is your internet provider and what do you have the MicroCell connected to? If it has worked in the past, and now all of a sudden has stopped working, even with a new MicroCell and a new, appropriate ac adapter, I'd have to suspect your ISP. Have you upgraded your router and/or modem? We need more detail on your setup.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

The first thing I'd do is test the output of the NEW AC adapter.  Even if the Mcell won't connect to the AT&T servers, it should still show a steady green light for the Ethernet connection if your Ethernet cable is good and connected between the router and Mcell.  A blinking green light for GPS should be seen even if the Mcell has not determined its location yet and the Network light should be flashing red or green.

I'd say either your new AC adapter or Mcell is faulty. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.