For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
Marcl1's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, November 11th, 2015 9:43 PM

Samsung s6 & microcell mms issues

After spending hours on the phone with AT&T regarding this problem, last night I was told that this is a known issue, BUT THERE IS A FIX FOR IT.  According to the person I was talking to there is a work around that his "back office" people had to set up in my account.  An hour later, I could send MMS, although it is fairly slow.  Based on the number of people with the same problem, I have no idea why this fix isn't known by the customer servide people, and why whatever account change isn't automatically made with this equipment combination.  So if you are still having this problem, call again.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

I responded to you in the other thread but I'll repeat myself here. The "fix" doesn't work across the board and we have seen the same problems come back after a while once the account change was made. Especially if you update the OS or add another app or two. If there was a permanent fix, then it would be part of the Support tree that they are required to follow. If you call and try to convince a support person that there is a "back office" fix for this you will probably not get very far. I'll link your username to the Admins and see if they can shed some light on this and report back if I can.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

I'm sorry.  I thought I had replied to my own post, but somehow I wrote it but didn't post it.  I have now been told that there is no "back office" fix.  I guess the rep was frustraited and made something up.  The wierd thing is that it seemed to work that night.  Now I am back to being able to receive, but not send, mms.  I am frustrated, annoyed, upset and stuck.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

As we've stated, this is an on-going issue with Samsung and their version of the Android OS. To quote from an earlier post:  “we have Google/Android to thank for allowing manufacturers to come up with an incredible number of screen sizes, resolutions, and differences in features in Android phones—otherwise known as device fragmentation. It makes testing and optimizing a significantly longer process when you're trying to reach as many people as possible for a single app or mobile site.”

I wish there was an anwer for you but there isn't. This is another reason why AT&T hasn't been able to implement WiFi Calling for the Android devices yet.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

I am sorry to disagree with you, as I know you have alot more information and knowledge in this area, but based on what I have seen and read, I do.  At least in my case, it appears to be a connection/handoff/speed  issue when there are signals other than the microcell available.  So the size of the screen, features or installed application should have absolutly no effect.   If AT&T actually had the coverage they advertise, there would be no need for the microcell.  Once the microcell is involved, If is actually acted as a "micro cell" and the signals were decipherable, there would be no problem, at least as it relates to 3g.  So I put the blame and responsibility directly with AT&T.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

The point of the statement, and this is what I was told by some Android programmers that I've talked to, is that the OEM's as well as the carriers overlay what they need onto the Android OS because the Android OS is not as locked down as the Apple iOS is. That's not to say that iOS is a better OS, they both have their pros and cons, it's just the main difference between the two and why it is generally easier to fix an iPhone issue than it is for an Android issue. A pure Android OS is very robust but once the mfrs and carriers get a hold of it and add their stuff on top, something is bound to break. And given the number of different Android devices out there with varying flavors of Android OS, and the fact that apps for the Android OS don't have to go thru the extensive vetting process that Apple requires, conflicts are gonig to arise. You can blame AT&T all you want but this is an issue that Samsung has admitted but is reluctant to work with AT&T, and vice versa, because the numbers of MicroCell users for the Samsung and Apple phones is so small that neither is willing to put the resources into fixing the issue. Especially Samsung because of the open-sourceness of the Android/Google. And, as I said, that is EXACTLY why WiFi Calling will be released at a later date for Android devices. AT&T/Android have to make it work for for Lollipop and Marshmallow devices which is no easy feat considering that there will be slightly different iterations depending on the OEM device.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Is there a fix to this yet....I haven't been able to send pictures in a text message since about Oct 2015. I've called AT&T  several times and have been given the run around. I've been told numerous reasons as to why it's happening but the one I tend to believe is that there is an issue between the S6 and the microcell. They're not compatible, and that it has been a known issue since last June. If that is the case, why did they let us buy 2 S6's and not give us a warning? We had no issues with the S3. I've also been told that the "marshmallow" update will fix this. When will we get that update? I am not very phone or tech savvy.,..I just want to be able to use my phone at home and send pictures in a text message like I should be able to. Thanks for any advice...and please keep it simple. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

No, there is not a fix, and I doubt if Samsung/Google/Android with work closely enough with AT&T, and vice versa, to fix it. There are third party apps that you can load that will allow you to send SMS/MMS when at home and connected to the MicroCell. However, with the open sourceness of the Android OS there is just no telling what will happen with the addition of a third party app or another update later on. Technically, the S6 does work with the MicroCell as far as voice calls go so Samsung and AT&T will just ignore the complaints from the small minority of MicroCell users. WiFi Calling is not even offered for the Android-based phones and there is no target date, that I am aware of, when AT&T will offer WiFi-C for Android. That's the downside of an open source OS.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you....just irks me to no end. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

You and a lot of other folks as well. I really don't see a fix other than switching carriers or phones at this point in time. Both of which are no bueno.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

It's like this. MMS in order to function properly without any issues needs tower data. Nothing emulates true mobile data as it works from an actual cell phone.

The issue with a lot of Samsung devices is that they timeout whenever sending or rec an MMS due to low data bandwidth. I've had success with altering the port fowarding and firewall settings.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.