What is happening with 3G?
percher's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, November 16th, 2013 12:02 AM

Samsung Solstice shutting down & rebooting itself after standby

My Samsung Solstice II works fine on my Microcell when manually booted up. Calls can be received and called out without any problem. After the phone is left on standby for a while (usually overnite), phone will shut down & reboot itself if you try to call out or if there is an incoming call. Callers will receive a message stating call was rejected. My two other phone (Nokia 6350 & ZTE Z221) works with the Microcell without any problem.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this or whats going on?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

You have the most current firmware version (Samsung calls it baseware).  There were earlier firmware versions that were associated with the problem you described but if you have the most current firmware then I'm not sure what the issue is.

You can certainly contact Samsung Support and discuss your phone's problem of shutting down and rebooting to see if there is something amiss with the phone.  As Otto said, don't bother mentioning your Microcell problem as they will simply refer you to AT&T. 

You never said if the phone always had a problem with the Microcell or was it something that started at a later date.  If it has always had this problem then I'd say your phone doesn't play well with your Mcell and you may need to consider a more current phone if connecting to the Mcell is a priority to you.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

I suspect your phone is the issue since your other phones work with the Mcell.

Please post back with your Solstice 2's firmware version number.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

I'd give Samsung a call. The fact that your phone initially works, and then shuts down while two other phones continue to work indicates the phone and not necessarily the MicroCell. There really isn't anything that I am aware of that the MicroCell can do to cause a phone to shutdown. My initial guess would be that there is something with the phone that when it tries to re-negotiate its connection to the MicroCell, or the macrocell that is nearby, it can't establish the connection and shuts down. Don't expect Samsung to help you with the MicroCell because they won't and will just tell you to call AT&T, but they may have reported issues with the Samsung and VOIP services in general. When the new Note 3's were released there was a problem with them and the MicroCell that took an update by Samsung/AT&T to fix.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

I believe it is a firmware issue.  There is an update that addresses what he describes.  If he posts the firmware version, I can determine if the upgrade will help.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Sorry........ not really a techie. Is firmware same as software? Software version is A817UCKH2.

Did go into "setting" and then to "check software update" and got "software is current"

btw: phone is model SGH-A817 and is currently disable from Microcell and works fine except calls will sometime drop because of weak signal.

Thanks everyone for all your help & inputs

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Software is the applications (programs), firmware is the "software" that tells the hardware how to work, usually contained on a ROM (Read Only Memory) chipset.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the reply. The phone always had this problem. Kind of suspected what you said. Guess its time to upgrade.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Agreed. Sounds like upgrading is in order. An early X-mas present? 😁
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.