What is happening with 3G?
CAT-S60's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Wednesday, August 30th, 2017 4:28 AM

Recently I get -122db cellular service at my home.

Recently my cell service basically went away at my home. Called AT&T support with no help. So they connected me with Don, in Tech support. We discussed problem, he ran diags on ??? and thought all looked OK. Mentioned closest tower to me is approx. 2.5 miles, yet I have to go on my deck to get 1-2 bars. Suggested I get a new SIM card. Card is less than a year old, CAT S60 phone about 18 months old. Phone has all updates. My WiFi is perfect via Optimum cable router, only I can not make or receive phone calls. Figured out how to display signal strength and it varies from -110 to -122 inside, 15' from a huge window and 20' behind me are glass sliding doors. Can the -MicroCell-DPH-154 help me in this situation? My wife uses Verizon and that service is fine. Thanks for any suggestions, George

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@CAT-S60  Is your phone the North American or global version?   The global version lacks the 3G band 1900 which along with 850 is required for service.  When 2G service was shut down, that would limit the phones ability to connect.  

Yes, a microcell will bring you up to 5 bars again.  I bought one a couple months ago due to declining service in my area.

Mentor

• 

22 Messages

7 years ago

Yes a microcell will help. I get mine off eBay, they have come down in price and the last one I got was $30 and that included shipping. Read the ad's carefully and look for one that is new or never used. Make sure they de-registered it from their account.

AT&T shut down the 2G service and replaced it with nothing and as a result the coverage STINKS. They want you to use the wi-fi calling feature but that doesn't help when your away from home. It's called a MOBILE phone.

I am also starting a campaign to get AT&T paying customers to start writing their US Senators and representatives to complain about advertising false coverage maps. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

7 years ago

Phone is 2G, 3G, LTE capable. So that would seem to indicate it's US version. Works great accept last few months at the house and generally in my home area.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@CAT-S60 - as @lizdance40 mentioned, 1900 Mhz and 850 MHz are the bands that the MicroCell uses. FCC licensing restrictions determine as to which of those bands can be used for a given area.  Updates to phones, especially Android-based, has affected in certain cases, how the phone will search, lock on, and then hand over to the MicroCell. A perfectly working phone can develop connection issues to the MicroCell after an update. If that's the case, then there is nothing that AT&T can do about that. It's also possible that AT&T is doing some sort of tower maintenance, upgrades, whatever.

@dbqer - coverage maps for any carrier always need to be taken with a grain of salt. If a signal is detectable at a certain level, the carriers will say you have coverage (which is true, but questionable). The coverage maps do not take into consideration, buildings,   trees, changing FCC requirements, etc. They are also not updated enough to reflect changes in areas (overgrown trees, new buildings, other interfering factors, etc). Coverage doesn't always necessarily mean a reliable signal. You can complain to your US Senator and Representatives all you want but given the current status of our government, you're ****ing in the wind.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@dbqer wrote:

Yes a microcell will help. I get mine off eBay, they have come down in price and the last one I got was $30 and that included shipping. Read the ad's carefully and look for one that is new or never used. Make sure they de-registered it from their account.

AT&T shut down the 2G service and replaced it with nothing and as a result the coverage STINKS. They want you to use the wi-fi calling feature but that doesn't help when your away from home. It's called a MOBILE phone.

I am also starting a campaign to get AT&T paying customers to start writing their US Senators and representatives to complain about advertising false coverage maps. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

@dbqer

how about you read the coverage map...  Read what I circled.....

Capture.PNG

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76

Let's be honest... the coverage maps from T-mobile and Sprint are more accurate and suggest you zoom in for ground coverage.  

Both Verizon and ATT maps are more general.  They count coverage which in truth is text only.  No voice or data.  

I marked up the map as followed, the yellow area is -122 dbm, text only.  The area in the black circle is a dead zone, no service for both ATT and Verizon, despite what their maps say.  The orange diamond shape is an admitted dead zone for all carriers and shows on all of their maps as low or no coverage.  

While I can live with "general", the fact is coverage is decreasing and it's a regular topic of annoyed discussions among us locals. 

IMG_6330.JPG

1 Attachment

Mentor

• 

22 Messages

7 years ago

Like I said "FALSE ADVERTISING"

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@dbqer wrote:

Like I said "FALSE ADVERTISING"

@dbqer

wrong again....  Its not false advertising if there is a disclaimer on the page telling you coverage may vary....  I swear people just dont get it....  Do you not think att had a lawyer look at the disclaimer....  And it SAYS OUTDOOR COVERAGE.......

Capture.PNG

Or here I clicked on learn more for you

Capture.PNG

2 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76

Let's be honest... the coverage maps from T-mobile and Sprint are more accurate and suggest you zoom in for ground coverage.  

Both Verizon and ATT maps are more general.  They count coverage which in truth is text only.  No voice or data.  

I marked up the map as followed, the yellow area is -122 dbm, text only.  The area in the black circle is a dead zone, no service for both ATT and Verizon, despite what their maps say.  The orange diamond shape is an admitted dead zone for all carriers and shows on all of their maps as low or no coverage.  

While I can live with "general", the fact is coverage is decreasing and it's a regular topic of annoyed discussions among us locals. 

IMG_6330.JPG

@lizdance40

Dont think I dont agree with you....  I never like coverage maps anyway...  Just show me how far I am from the tower and I can figure it out.....  

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.