For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
jevans14's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, August 28th, 2013 3:20 PM

Question on Microcell Operation

All of the doc I have seen seems to be consummed with getting the microcell activated. What I want to know is that after it is activated does it still require an internet connection through my router. If so can this simply be a wireless connection? If that is true how does one set it up to use wireless? I assume it need to know SSID/passphrase etc.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

Yes. It has to maintain a constant connection to AT&Ts servers because it is a VoIP device. The same holds true for the GPS connection which is why it must remain next to a window for continuous GPS lock (or you can use an external extension antenna if keeping it by a window is not convenient). The connection to your router must be a wired connection. See the MicroCell Technical Guide for more complete information.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

To amplify on Otto's comments, the best method to connect the Mcell to the router should be by Ethernet cable, but there are wireless alternatives if you want to locate your Mcell further away from your router and don't want Ethernet cable strung out all over the place. 

One can use Powerine adapters to move the Mcell to another location.  These adapters use house AC wiring to carry a digital signal from where you locate your Mcell to where your router is located.  You plug the Powerline adapter into an AC outlet and then connect an Ethernet cable from the adapter to the Mcell.  On the other end, you plug the second Powerline adapter into an AC outlet next to your router and connect an Ethernet cable from the adapter to one of the router's Ethernet ports. 

This method can introduce problems though.  Interferences from other electrical devices such as refrigerators, HVAC, hair dryers, etc. can cause disconnections between the Mcell and your cellphones.  The quality of your home's AC wiring can also cause problems due to grounding loops, cross-phase and cross-breaker signal paths.  I speak from personal experience.

If you want to move your Mcell to another location in your house and have it wirelessly communicate with your router, for about the same price as a pair of Powerline adapters, you can buy a wireless range extender/repeater.  You can locate the repeater where you want the Mcell, connect the Mcell to it via Ethernet cable, and wirelessly connect the repeater to your router.  I've done this and it works perfectly.  Just keep in mind that the repeater, in order to maintain decent bandwidth must receive a strong signal from your router so you can't move the repeater too far away from the router.  This shouldn't be an issue in most homes though.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.