What is happening with 3G?
Boo153's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, September 17th, 2019 12:17 AM

Pantech breeze II won't connect to microcell tower

Husband's old pantech breeze connected to our microcell with no trouble. He left it out in the rain and we had to replace. This seems to be an upgraded model but it won't connect and I've been all over the internet trying to figure this out. Calling at&t was no help.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Boo153 - he may need a new SIM card so you'd have to check with a corporate store. I wouldn't ask them anything about the MicroCell other than you may need a new SIM card because the store employees know even less about the MicroCell than phone support does.

I can't stress enough that you need to seriously consider your options before AT&T discontinues service. It could happen by the end of this year or the end of next year (more likely) so you still have some time, but it is going to happen.

I understand your apprehension about performing a hard reset so try the SIM route first if possible and let's see what happens.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Boo153 - where did you get the phone and is it a model that AT&T currently sells? Sometimes with newer model phones the "upgrades" just don't play nice with the MicroCell, or if it is a model that AT&T doesn't sell, it may not be recognized via the MicroCell. There is really nothing that AT&T can do if that's the case. Are your phones WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) capable? If so, AT&T and us recommend that you switch to WiFi-C and stop using the MicroCell.

Try turning the phone completely off, wait a minute or so, and then turn it back on. It could be as simple as the phone needs to recognize that the MicroCell is part of its cellular neighborhood.

The MicroCell reached its EOL at the end of 2017 and the service itself will be discontinued as well once AT&T begins to transition away from their 3G network.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

It's a branded AT&T phone. It has no wifi. Tech support said they fixed it but would take 30 minutes to connect, they'd call me back. They didn't 😞

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Have turned it off and on repeatedly. Put it in airplane  mode, moved close to tower, turned off airplane mode. Texted remove the number to AT&T then texted added the number. Nothing has worked

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Boo153 - ok. If it's an AT&T branded phone then it should connect to the MicroCell. By not having WiFi, you mean it doesn't have WiFi-C capability, correct? Consider yourself very lucky if you get a call back from AT&T Support.

Is the phone number on the Approved Users List or is it the primary phone number, iow, the phone number that was used to originally register/activate the MicroCell? If it's on the Approved Users List, try to delete the number, Save, and then re-add the phone number. However, you need to do this thru your myAT&T MicroCell Settings page, not the mobile app, which hasn't work correctly for years. If it is the primary number, there is no way to delete that the phone number without deactivating the MicroCell and then reactivating it again. I wouldn't recommend doing that at this point in time. Sometimes it takes the system a day or so to properly recognize the request and deactivate your unit. If you deactivate and then try to reactivate too soon, the system can lock up because it now has two conflicting requests and doesn't know how to handle that.

You really need to think about upgrading your phones to WiFi-C capable ones because I don't think AT&T is going to give MicroCell users a lot of advanced notice before they shutdown the service.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

The number is on approved list, not primary. What I found online said to text 6235 with remove the number, then text again with add the number. When I tried remove I got a message that it couldn't be completed due to maintenance.

My problem with upgrade is husband refuses anything other than a flip phone. He doesn't care about in internet or texting. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Boo153 - that texting number hasn't worked correctly for a very long time. What you need to do is go into your myAT&T MicroCell Settings page, delete his number, save your changes, and log out. Then log back in and add his number and save. Have him turn his phone completely off, wait a minute or so, and then turn it back on. See if that works.

Note: looking into this phone it's a fairly old phone. Did he have to get a new SIM card by any chance?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for all this. I tried that and the only option I was given is Link Your AT&T MicroCell® to a Wireless Phone Number. I found nothing about removing his number

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Boo153 - where did you see that message? Have logged into your myAT&T MicroCell Settings page? You should see the account information, which is basically your name, address, MicroCell serial number, and the Approved Users List, of which you can edit. I added a comment to my previous reply so we may have crossed each other in posting.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

OK, I found it. I had to hit my phone number to get to manage. I removed his number and saved, waited a minute, then added his number. His phone was already off so I just moved next to the tower and turned it on and still have nothing. I seriously hate this phone of his.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.