Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 28, 2014
10:12:21 AM
View profile
Old Microcell New Iphone Not Being Recognized

My wife got a new iPhone with identical phone number and the phone is not registering the micreocell for usage.

Microcell working with all other phones. I'm stumped! Any help on how to resolve this issue appreciated.

My wife got a new iPhone with identical phone number and the phone is not registering the micreocell for usage.

Microcell working with all other phones. I'm stumped! Any help on how to resolve this issue appreciated.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 1, 2014 8:13:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Sounds like an IMSI issue to me also.  Unless the Mcell's power cycled, it could still have the IMSI number for the old phone in it's memory and will not recognize the new IMSI number until it syncs with AT&T's current Approved User list during a power cycle.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Old Microcell New Iphone Not Being Recognized

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 28, 2014 11:22:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Whose phone number is the MicroCell registered to? Was her old/new phone number listed under the Approved User list (guest list)? It could be that you have to power cycle the MicroCell so it can identify the new iPhone based on it's IMSI number.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Whose phone number is the MicroCell registered to? Was her old/new phone number listed under the Approved User list (guest list)? It could be that you have to power cycle the MicroCell so it can identify the new iPhone based on it's IMSI number.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Old Microcell New Iphone Not Being Recognized

2 of 20 (6,684 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 1, 2014 8:13:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Sounds like an IMSI issue to me also.  Unless the Mcell's power cycled, it could still have the IMSI number for the old phone in it's memory and will not recognize the new IMSI number until it syncs with AT&T's current Approved User list during a power cycle.

3 of 20 (6,647 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2014 5:56:53 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by acouse on Sep 19, 2014 at 6:28:34 PM

Hi guys,

I picked up my new iPhone 6 today but can't manage to get it to show that it's on my MCell.  I have noticed that I get 2 out of 5 bars on my AT&T LTE connection now at my house but my old iPhone 5s never did that. It could only manage 1 bar at best on the 5s so it always connected over to my MCell.

I've power-cycled both my iPhone 6 and the MCell.  I'm not able to delete and re-add my iPhone 6 cell number in my MCell settings on the AT&T web page (since it's my default number).

Since I'm getting 2 bars now on my 6, is that why it's not jumping over to my MCell?  I suspect that it doesn't need to now due to the stronger regular tower signal.  I live in the zip code of 30080, Smyrna, GA.  Has tower strength improved recently in my area?

Thoughts?  OttoPylot?

Thanks.

Hi guys,

I picked up my new iPhone 6 today but can't manage to get it to show that it's on my MCell.  I have noticed that I get 2 out of 5 bars on my AT&T LTE connection now at my house but my old iPhone 5s never did that. It could only manage 1 bar at best on the 5s so it always connected over to my MCell.

I've power-cycled both my iPhone 6 and the MCell.  I'm not able to delete and re-add my iPhone 6 cell number in my MCell settings on the AT&T web page (since it's my default number).

Since I'm getting 2 bars now on my 6, is that why it's not jumping over to my MCell?  I suspect that it doesn't need to now due to the stronger regular tower signal.  I live in the zip code of 30080, Smyrna, GA.  Has tower strength improved recently in my area?

Thoughts?  OttoPylot?

Thanks.

iPhone 6 - Not Connecting to MCell

[ Edited ]
4 of 20 (5,794 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2014 6:46:07 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hi @acouse 

I'm sorry you're having some issues with your Microcell and the new phone. Take a look at this thread, guys in there are reporting positive results with some troubleshooting methods:

http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/iPhone-6-Not-Working-on-Microcell/td-p/4082944

Let us know if you still need help or have any questions.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hi @acouse 

I'm sorry you're having some issues with your Microcell and the new phone. Take a look at this thread, guys in there are reporting positive results with some troubleshooting methods:

http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/iPhone-6-Not-Working-on-Microcell/td-p/4082944

Let us know if you still need help or have any questions.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: iPhone 6 - Not Connecting to MCell

5 of 20 (5,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2014 7:00:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same issue and none of the fixes you suggest work for me. Suggestions?

I am having the same issue and none of the fixes you suggest work for me. Suggestions?

6 of 20 (5,699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2014 7:03:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks DmitriyCM!  Those other user suggestions worked for me as well.  All good now as I'm rockin' on my MCell!

Thanks DmitriyCM!  Those other user suggestions worked for me as well.  All good now as I'm rockin' on my MCell!

7 of 20 (5,693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2014 7:06:19 PM
(0)
Contributor
i resolved it by deleting all users in the Mocrocell app except mine (it would not allow me to delete my own). Then recreated the users. Suddennessly both new iPhone's connected to the Microcell. Go figure!

i resolved it by deleting all users in the Mocrocell app except mine (it would not allow me to delete my own). Then recreated the users. Suddennessly both new iPhone's connected to the Microcell. Go figure!

8 of 20 (5,456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2014 7:08:27 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by acouse on Sep 19, 2014 at 7:14:57 PM

Lisazzz,

What I did was the following and it worked just now for me:

1) Logged into my AT&T account and deleted all other cell numbers that are authorized to use my MCell except my iPhone 6 number (can't delete that since it's the #1 number listed)

2) Powered off my iPhone 6 and my other phones

3) Added back my other phone numbers to my MCell in the AT&T settings

4) Changed the nickname of my iPhone 6 entry in my MCell AT&T settings

5) Waited 5 minutes then powered on all of my phones.  My iPhone 6 is now showing it's connected to my MCell

I did NOT have to reboot my MCell, wifi router or cable internet modem.  I didn't touch them.

Hope that helps.

Lisazzz,

What I did was the following and it worked just now for me:

1) Logged into my AT&T account and deleted all other cell numbers that are authorized to use my MCell except my iPhone 6 number (can't delete that since it's the #1 number listed)

2) Powered off my iPhone 6 and my other phones

3) Added back my other phone numbers to my MCell in the AT&T settings

4) Changed the nickname of my iPhone 6 entry in my MCell AT&T settings

5) Waited 5 minutes then powered on all of my phones.  My iPhone 6 is now showing it's connected to my MCell

I did NOT have to reboot my MCell, wifi router or cable internet modem.  I didn't touch them.

Hope that helps.

[ Edited ]
9 of 20 (5,686 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2014 8:58:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

It's a new phone folks so give it time. Re-entering your phone numbers is one way, or doing a hard reset on the MicroCell may be another.

It's a new phone folks so give it time. Re-entering your phone numbers is one way, or doing a hard reset on the MicroCell may be another.

10 of 20 (5,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2014 9:01:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Not surprising. It's a new phone and sometimes you just need to re-register it so that the mobility network, via the MicroCell, can recognize it.

Not surprising. It's a new phone and sometimes you just need to re-register it so that the mobility network, via the MicroCell, can recognize it.

11 of 20 (5,424 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2014 7:12:16 AM
(1)
Contributor

Hey guys... never stops amazing me the power of coming together.. This actually worked perfectly!! 

Nice job all for trouble shooting and saving us all lots of time!!!! 

Hey guys... never stops amazing me the power of coming together.. This actually worked perfectly!! 

Nice job all for trouble shooting and saving us all lots of time!!!! 

12 of 20 (5,240 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2014 9:58:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

What exactly worked for you? The hard reset, deregistering/registering, etc. I'm trying to compile an accurate list of what some have had to do to get the iPhone 6 to work with the MicrCell in case the issues don't get resolved in a week or so. Sort of like a mini-Tech Guide or an addendum to my Tech Guide in general.

What exactly worked for you? The hard reset, deregistering/registering, etc. I'm trying to compile an accurate list of what some have had to do to get the iPhone 6 to work with the MicrCell in case the issues don't get resolved in a week or so. Sort of like a mini-Tech Guide or an addendum to my Tech Guide in general.

13 of 20 (5,154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2014 10:41:56 AM
(0)
Contributor
Got my IPhone 6 and my microcell doesn't work on it. All the other phones do in the house, this doesn't come as a surprise with all the microcell issues I've had over the years. Just figure somebody should figure out and post what the fix will be. Love to have a fix by Monday so I can receive by business calls at the house.
Got my IPhone 6 and my microcell doesn't work on it. All the other phones do in the house, this doesn't come as a surprise with all the microcell issues I've had over the years. Just figure somebody should figure out and post what the fix will be. Love to have a fix by Monday so I can receive by business calls at the house.

iPhone 6

14 of 20 (4,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2014 11:56:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Sep 20, 2014 at 12:22:54 PM

Dmitriy beat me to it. See his help post. If you've had trouble in the past with your MicroCell did you ever come here for help? The iOS 8 needs an AT&T network update (at least my iPhone 5 did when I upgraded to iOS 8) so maybe it's just taking AT&T a bit longer with iPhone 6 that has iOS 8 pre-installed. This is a new phone so there are bound to be some issues and glitches at first. Be patient.

Keep in mind that the iPhone 6 is not specific to the AT&T network so there's probably some tweaking left to do on the AT&T side.

Dmitriy beat me to it. See his help post. If you've had trouble in the past with your MicroCell did you ever come here for help? The iOS 8 needs an AT&T network update (at least my iPhone 5 did when I upgraded to iOS 8) so maybe it's just taking AT&T a bit longer with iPhone 6 that has iOS 8 pre-installed. This is a new phone so there are bound to be some issues and glitches at first. Be patient.

Keep in mind that the iPhone 6 is not specific to the AT&T network so there's probably some tweaking left to do on the AT&T side.

Re: iPhone 6

[ Edited ]
15 of 20 (4,812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2014 2:39:36 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by acouse on Sep 20, 2014 at 2:42:37 PM

Otto: 

I think renaming the nickname of my iPhone in my MCell settings was what bumped it to re-register and work for me.  I say that because I wasn't able to delete that registered number since it was my #1 listed on there.  

BTW, when I picked up my new iPhone 6 from the Apple Store yesterday, all I asked them to do was simply activate the phone, which they did.  About 10 minutes later while I was checking things out, I suddenly got the AT&T phone/network firmware/update notification that you did and I let that install.

When I got home, I did a full reset of the new phone then restored it from my latest backup.  I did not receive the AT&T update notification again after my phone was restored.  I suppose that even after a phone reset, the AT&T update is not needed since it installed earlier, when I was at the store (it didn't lose the update during the reset).

I renamed my phone nickname in my MCell settings AFTER I performed the reset/restore procedure above.  My phone has been locked onto my MCell at the house perfectly ever since.

Thanks.

Otto: 

I think renaming the nickname of my iPhone in my MCell settings was what bumped it to re-register and work for me.  I say that because I wasn't able to delete that registered number since it was my #1 listed on there.  

BTW, when I picked up my new iPhone 6 from the Apple Store yesterday, all I asked them to do was simply activate the phone, which they did.  About 10 minutes later while I was checking things out, I suddenly got the AT&T phone/network firmware/update notification that you did and I let that install.

When I got home, I did a full reset of the new phone then restored it from my latest backup.  I did not receive the AT&T update notification again after my phone was restored.  I suppose that even after a phone reset, the AT&T update is not needed since it installed earlier, when I was at the store (it didn't lose the update during the reset).

I renamed my phone nickname in my MCell settings AFTER I performed the reset/restore procedure above.  My phone has been locked onto my MCell at the house perfectly ever since.

Thanks.

[ Edited ]
16 of 20 (5,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2014 3:00:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok good. I think a lot of the problems folks are having with the iPhone 6 is AT&T scrambling to get the new cofigurations updated on their network.

Ok good. I think a lot of the problems folks are having with the iPhone 6 is AT&T scrambling to get the new cofigurations updated on their network.

17 of 20 (4,988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2015 7:32:20 AM
(0)
Contributor

The instructions on the microcell web site said to disconnect and then reactive the microcell. I tried this with no luck on getting a disconnect.

I found from AT&T tech support level 2 that my microcell would hung so it would not disconnect   Tech support was able to disconnect at their end and then I just reactived the microcell and everything is good.

The instructions on the microcell web site said to disconnect and then reactive the microcell. I tried this with no luck on getting a disconnect.

I found from AT&T tech support level 2 that my microcell would hung so it would not disconnect   Tech support was able to disconnect at their end and then I just reactived the microcell and everything is good.

18 of 20 (1,093 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2015 9:28:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Glad to hear that you got it working again. The support instructions are not always the most accurate or complete. Deactivating/reactivating is their answer to everything and as you've seen, it doesn't always work. There is a more complete way to get the new iPhones to connect but as long as you are up and running, there's no reason to go into them here.

Glad to hear that you got it working again. The support instructions are not always the most accurate or complete. Deactivating/reactivating is their answer to everything and as you've seen, it doesn't always work. There is a more complete way to get the new iPhones to connect but as long as you are up and running, there's no reason to go into them here.

19 of 20 (1,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2015 10:03:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If the Mcell was "hung", as AT&T puts it, another thing to try in the future would be a hard reset.  The procedure is in the Tech Guide.

If the Mcell was "hung", as AT&T puts it, another thing to try in the future would be a hard reset.  The procedure is in the Tech Guide.

20 of 20 (1,058 Views)