For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
Stenzo's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, April 10th, 2015 5:46 PM

Nokia Lumia 1520 doesn't display Microcell connection

Hi, Our other phones display "ATT Microcell" next to 5 bars on the status line. My Lumia 1520 doesn't always connect and show 5 bars. Is it normal for the Windows phone to NOT display the words? Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

There have been lots of issues in the past with the Lumia (Windows-based) phones. There are some current connection issues is some areas where the MicroCell displays all solid green lights but the phone(s) can't connect or stay connected.

If  your other phones are working as expected with the MicroCell, M-Cell displayed and no connection issues (dropped calls, unable to connect, etc) and it is only happening with the Lumia, then it may be the phone. Have you recently updated the Lumia and what are your other phones?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you for the reply. I just learned from AT&T that the Windows Phone 8.1 OS and some newer Android versions do not display the Alpha "ATT Microcell" message when connected. I had to uninstall and re-install the Microcell using the ATT\microcell online portal. Now the Lumia connects to the microcell with 5 bars. Interestingly though, selecting Network in Settings there is a AT&T Microcell Search button. Using this the phones bars increased from 2 to 5, so it did appear to connect the phone to the microcell, but the message displayed "NOT Connected". There is some O/S work to be done here I think!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

Interesting. Yes, it does sound like there is some Windows OS tweaking that still needs to be done. I'm sure there will be some Galaxy S6 issues as well once it is released. Android/Windows OS's always seem to need some tweaking to get them to play nice with the MicroCell. However, that's not to be unexpected with any new hardware or OS update for any mfr.

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

9 years ago

I just bought a Motorola Moto G (Android) for my wife and it does the same. It does not display "ATT Microcell" but it obviously is connected as it displays 5 bars and there is basically no over the air signal at our home.

My Moto X does display the "ATT Microcell".

As long as it works, I am not worrying about it.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

Exactly. Not all OS's will display that for one reason or another. It's more of a convenience than anything else. But with future updates don't be surprised if it appears.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.