What is happening with 3G?
kkauffmansd's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, March 5th, 2013 7:10 PM

No data through Microcell

I have a 3G microcell that is seemingly connected/activated okay ... I can make and receive phone calls with no issues over it.

If I turn off wifi on my phone though while the phone is connected to Microcell, I cannot get any data.  Without data flowing over the Microcell connection, that means I cannot get MMS messages either.  I'm told that only an ATT data connection will allow you to reach the MMS servers so that your device can actually download MMS content...you cannot use your WiFi connection for such purposes.  I have verified no data over microcell, by disabling Wifi and trying to hit simple websites like google.com and have verified that I cannot.  If I leave coverage of Microcell and just get back on regular ATT towers, then data works fine and I can hit websites okay.

I have tried going into my router and even placing the Microcell in the DMZ so that it is in front of the built in firewall functions of the router...but that didn't change anything.

This is already a replacement microcell that ATT shipped me just last week, yet the problem still persists.

Anybody have any ideas?  Thank you in advance!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Have you enabled WiFi on your phone? The MicroCell is primarily for voice but you can use it for data albeit it would be very slow because of its max download speed. If you can make calls via the MicroCell with no problems then it's not faulty. How many devices on your network do you have on at the same time? The slowness could be a priority issue. Who is your ISP (or did I already ask that)?

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

Did you ever get a solution to this?  I'm fighting the same issue!  Thanks...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

@kkauffmansd wrote:

I have a 3G microcell that is seemingly connected/activated okay ... I can make and receive phone calls with no issues over it.

If I turn off wifi on my phone though while the phone is connected to Microcell, I cannot get any data.  Without data flowing over the Microcell connection, that means I cannot get MMS messages either.  I'm told that only an ATT data connection will allow you to reach the MMS servers so that your device can actually download MMS content...you cannot use your WiFi connection for such purposes.  I have verified no data over microcell, by disabling Wifi and trying to hit simple websites like google.com and have verified that I cannot.  If I leave coverage of Microcell and just get back on regular ATT towers, then data works fine and I can hit websites okay.

I have tried going into my router and even placing the Microcell in the DMZ so that it is in front of the built in firewall functions of the router...but that didn't change anything.

This is already a replacement microcell that ATT shipped me just last week, yet the problem still persists.

Anybody have any ideas?  Thank you in advance!

Bump.  I just installed a new Microcell.  Tried port forwarding, and hooking the router up directly to the MC.  DMZed the MC, reset, etc.  Exact same conditions.  

With WIFI off, I get no data or MMS but voice and standard texts work fine.  With WIFI on everything works except for MMS, which obviously requires an AT&T data connection to authenticate with the back end.  Very simple issue, and AT&T should have a resolution to this by now.  We pay top dollar for these devices and our service should work, all of it.  

We are sorry we ever switched to AT&T.  After blatantly lying to us about coverage in our area (no signal whatsoever even outside, and it is very flat in this area) they get us for more money for yet aonther half arsed product.  Their wireless division is as bad as their business division.  LOL I`ve waited 2 years for them to bring fiber to our business park  in Texas and now the new project manager doesn`t even know we are.  Must have lost your file was the official response.

We just signed a contract with another provider.  Wirelss is next.  FAIL.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I always leave WiFi on. That way no data charges are applied to my wireless account and everything works just fine. Some phones, for some reason, handle that better than others. What kind of phone do you have?

If you'd like to see if we can help you please post details of your setup, ISP, etc. If not, then I hope your new carrier works out better for you.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

I am having the same issues. I have a microcell set up (arris gateway>router>Mcell). I can send and recieve calls perfectly fine on all phones connected (Lg, Iphone, Samsung, etc.) but none of them will get MMS messages and the visual voicemail on iphone does not work. My phone can brose the internet when connected to Mcell with wireless on, but when wireless is off it doesn't seem to work. Have followed all directions for opening ports, etc. Phone sends and recieves MMS messages when off of microcell and near a window in apartment or anywhere else. Any ideas? 

I should also mention I have another mcell at another house (not same internet provider) and the phones work perfectly there. Help!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

If you leave WiFi enabled on the phones, does the problem go away (MMS issue)?

It sounds like it's something happening on the ISP end because you don't have that issue with another provider at another location and if you move out of the MicroCell range and connect directly to a macrocell (tower) there is no problem with the AT&T mobility network connection.

The fact that you can send and receive calls just fine with the MicroCell indicates that the MicroCell is working as designed for voice calls.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

If the wifi is on it still does not work. No mms and no visual voicemail. 

Any suggestions on the ISP end? 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Who is the ISP, and what kind of service, where mms doesn't work with or without WiFi?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

I have Wide Open West (WOW) and it is a Arris media gateway so it has a router built into it. This is my DVR, modem, and router all in one. I have the mcell on the DMZ on a separate router but still have had no luck. We have also tried it on the Arris to no luck. 

If you need more technical information I will have to provide that later tonight. My knowledge is limited but my boyfriend has been the one working on it. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

WOW is a cable company operated out of Denver, CO. They do offer a voice service and it's not unheard on now a days for a provider to hobble in one way or another a competitors voice service for using their network structure to access their own servers. Verizon, for example, has done this numerous times. Just something to file away.

It could be the way the Arris is prioritizing the traffic specific to WOW. The fact that you have no issues with another ISP points back to WOW and the way the Arris is configured. I am not familiar with the Arris so I can't provide any technical suggestions other than port forwarding to the MicroCell with a statically assigned IP address based on the MAC address of the MicroCell. If you assign the MicroCell the first available IP address in your DHCP table, that will never change so the Arris won't have to locate and assign an address if their is a power outage or update that causes a reboot or brings  your service temporarily down. That isn't directly related to your mms issue but it does provide the MicroCell with a more stable environment and priortizes its traffic a bit. You'll have to get the instructions on how to do that from WOW or Arris, and asking either one of them questions about the MicroCell will be an exercise is futility because I doubt if you'll get help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.