What is happening with 3G?
kkauffmansd's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, March 5th, 2013 7:10 PM

No data through Microcell

I have a 3G microcell that is seemingly connected/activated okay ... I can make and receive phone calls with no issues over it.

If I turn off wifi on my phone though while the phone is connected to Microcell, I cannot get any data.  Without data flowing over the Microcell connection, that means I cannot get MMS messages either.  I'm told that only an ATT data connection will allow you to reach the MMS servers so that your device can actually download MMS content...you cannot use your WiFi connection for such purposes.  I have verified no data over microcell, by disabling Wifi and trying to hit simple websites like google.com and have verified that I cannot.  If I leave coverage of Microcell and just get back on regular ATT towers, then data works fine and I can hit websites okay.

I have tried going into my router and even placing the Microcell in the DMZ so that it is in front of the built in firewall functions of the router...but that didn't change anything.

This is already a replacement microcell that ATT shipped me just last week, yet the problem still persists.

Anybody have any ideas?  Thank you in advance!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

I have no problems at all getting text messages, iMessages, or even Facetime on my iPhone 5 when it is connected to the MicroCell at home. Neither does the rest of the family or people on our Approved Users List. I leave WiFi on all of the time. Using the MicroCell at home is no different for us than when we are outside and out of the MicroCell's range and on an AT&T macrocell (tower).

Guru

• 

396 Messages

10 years ago

@Otto Pylot wrote:

I have no problems at all getting text messages, iMessages, or even Facetime on my iPhone 5 when it is connected to the MicroCell at home. Neither does the rest of the family or people on our Approved Users List. I leave WiFi on all of the time. Using the MicroCell at home is no different for us than when we are outside and out of the MicroCell's range and on an AT&T macrocell (tower).

Ditto here, but I might add that a good reason to have wifi enabled in addition to the MicroCell is a well known shortcoming of the MicroCell, that being extremely slow Internet connectivity.

While our MicroCell enables reliable voice calls and MMS text messages, almost any type of Internet data activity would be unuseable if we didn't have our wifi enabled.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

True. I did some speed tests last year I think with WiFi on and off using the MicroCell. Under ideal conditions, I think the MicroCell topped out close to if not at 3Mbps without WiFi, and even then it was a bit flaky.

Guru

• 

396 Messages

10 years ago

Here are my test results with my iPhone 5S in the same room as my MicroCell:

photo 1.PNG

And here's the same device connected via wifi:

photo 2.PNG

Especially when uploading the MicroCell reminds me of the days of dial-up.

I rest my case.  Smiley Wink

2 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Ouch! Mine was better than that but I certainly wouldn't use the MicroCell inside my home without WiFi on. Besides, with WiFi, any data downloads you do don't go against your data plan.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

I used to get pretty good speeds over my MicroCell, now it will do almost nothing.  Phone works good and all, just no data....

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

The max download for the MicroCell is around 3.0Mbps with WiFi off. Leaving WiFi on, which is what is recommended, your download speeds for data is dependent upon your ISP. If your phone's download speeds are considerably less than you expect, or you are having messging issues, AND WiFi is on, it's a problem with your phone and not the MicroCell. It could also something that your ISP has done to affect VoIP, which is not uncommon.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

Wireless is off, with wireless on I get good speeds upto 6mb, with it off I can't even tell as my speed test fails.

All the ports are open as they should be, just nothing is working and I turn Wi-Fi off due to battery usage and other reasons.

My phone is fine, my internet is fine, my network is fine as every other device I have works with no issues.  The problem is this MicroCell..... I can't even do a priority connection on it, plugged direct into my modem it lights everything up but flshes the 3G lamp continuosly for days.  Plug it back into my router or one of the routers and all lights go solid green within 10 minutes.

I have unplugged, reset it and eveything I could read or do to it.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

Ohh, I also run my own VOIP phone system including a phone server with 4 trunks, so my ISP blocking VOIP is also not valid.

I am wondering if it just does not like my Cisco RV-042 router, it seemed to work fine on the last router that was in place, maybe I will try and dig it out and see if this one has an issue.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

Changed over to another router on another DSL line and the same issue.... this has me stumped and I am leaning towards a faulty MicroCell.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.