For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
kkauffmansd's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, March 5th, 2013 7:10 PM

No data through Microcell

I have a 3G microcell that is seemingly connected/activated okay ... I can make and receive phone calls with no issues over it.

If I turn off wifi on my phone though while the phone is connected to Microcell, I cannot get any data.  Without data flowing over the Microcell connection, that means I cannot get MMS messages either.  I'm told that only an ATT data connection will allow you to reach the MMS servers so that your device can actually download MMS content...you cannot use your WiFi connection for such purposes.  I have verified no data over microcell, by disabling Wifi and trying to hit simple websites like google.com and have verified that I cannot.  If I leave coverage of Microcell and just get back on regular ATT towers, then data works fine and I can hit websites okay.

I have tried going into my router and even placing the Microcell in the DMZ so that it is in front of the built in firewall functions of the router...but that didn't change anything.

This is already a replacement microcell that ATT shipped me just last week, yet the problem still persists.

Anybody have any ideas?  Thank you in advance!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

Why are you turning off WiFi on your phone? I just leave WiFi on all of the time on my iPhone. Everything works inside my house on the MicroCell like it does when I'm out of range and on one of the towers.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Because your home IP/ethernet cannot speak to AT&T's MMS servers (for example)...you can only get MMS content through your AT&T connection (Microcell)...and with no data flowing over Microcell that means no MMS message contents on your phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

Huh? I'm confused. Our cell phones (iPhones of various flavors, and old Samung, etc) have no problem sending/receiving text messages, iMessages, pics, etc. Our "guest" list is full so anyone who comes over and uses our MicroCell for cell phone doesn't have any problems.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Here's what I understand:  When you are on the Microcell you have both a data and a voice pipeline.  The data pipeline is akin to having a VPN connection from your phone to AT&T via the Microcell.  AT&T's MMS servers (where your MMS messages live until they are delivered to your phone) is only accessible from within the AT&T network...you cannot reach those servers from, say, your home computer's ethernet connection...because you are not proxy'd in to AT&T's data network.

Only the data connection that goes VIA the Microcell (and thus first connects to AT&T's back end infrastructure) is able to talk to those MMS servers.

Any other data connection you have, either via wired ethernet connection off your router or wireless/WiFi does _not_ connect to AT&T's back end infrastructure and thus cannot talk to the MMS servers and download your MMS messages/content.

Therefore, if your Microcell is not passing data along (in addition to the voice duties it normally does) you do not have a data connection to AT&T's back end infrastructure and thus no MMS messages for you.

Try this experiment:  Turn Wifi off on your phone, make sure your phone is connected to your Microcell and try opening up a browser on your phone and see if you can get to a web page like Google.  If you can, great! (I wish I was you!)...then you have a data connection via Microcell that works.  For me, when I disconnect Wifi and only have Microcell I cannot get to any web page or anything...thus I get no MMS messages. 

I'm fine with leaving WiFi enabled on my phone and normally would--as the speed you get through your WiFi connection totally blows away the small data pipeline the Microcell (should) provide.  But again, the one thing that the Microcell data connection can do that no other connection can, is talk to those MMS servers.  So the upshot is I cannot send or receive MMS messages while I'm on Microcell at home.  If I have WiFi on my phone, then my phone can do everything (make and receive calls, surf the internet)...but I cannot get those MMS messages.

I don't how to explain it any more clearly than that.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

I tried your experiment and turned off WiFi on my iPhone. Safari didn't work which was interesting but the App Store did as well as most of my other apps. Apparently some seem to work ok without WiFi but browsers don't. So, if I understand your last statement then, even if you leave WiFi on, and are connected to the MicroCell, you still can't get MMS messages? That sounds like an issue with your phone because I can do anything with mine while at home, with WiFi on, without any problems at all. Text messages (with or without attachments), iMessages, etc all work fine on the MicroCell/WiFi connection.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

It's true:  Wifi on, Microcell connected, can't receive MMS.  But it isn't the phone because as soon as I step out of the house and get back on regular AT&T towers, MMS messages send and receive just fine.  It's only when I'm on Microcell that I don't get MMS.

I did an experiment today where I moved the Microcell to be the first device after the cable modem and then plugged router into the "computer" port on the Microcell....    lo and behold, it fixed the issue -- Microcell only now let data flow and I was able to surf to any mobile web page with only Microcell (no wifi) connected.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

Connecting directly to the modem is called priority connection. modem -> MicroCell -> router. That's usually reserved for troubleshooting but some folks prefer to set it up that way. Nothing wrong with it. The idea is that it takes the router out of the chain in case that's the problem. I prefer to connect: modem -> router -> MicroCell so I can do port forwarding to a static assigned IP address for the MicroCell. There may have been a config setting in your router that was preventing your messaging. It's really hard to troubleshoot at times becuase of the multiple router types, configurations, and LAN setups. With different problems having the same symptoms at times. If you haven't done so already, you may want to check the MicroCell Troubleshooting link in my sig. I'm glad it seems to be working ok now.

Guru

• 

396 Messages

11 years ago

Don't know if this will help or not, but I was curious so I tried a couple of experiements with my iPhone 5.  I found that when connected to my MicroCell, I can send/receive MMS (actual MMS, in addition to iMesssages) and browse websites with only cellurlar data or with only wifi on.

Browsing is faster on wifi but it still works with MicroCell cellular data only.

Bottom line, I couldn't duplicate problem kkaufmansd is having. 

edit:  FWIW, I ran one more test and found that if I select Airplane Mode and wifi on, although I can browse, email, etc., I cannot send or receive MMS messages in that configuration.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

Yeah, that's one of those strange anomalies with the MicroCell which is hard to explain at times. For some it works and for some it doesn't. But, as we discussed in another thread, just leave WiFi on all of the time and your phone will pick which connection to use for voice and/or data.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

I don't think you quite understand what he is saying, you can't receive txt or MMS messages or browse the internet.  Sure you can leave wifi on and get internet, but you can't get MMS or TXT messages!  I am having the exact same problem and it is annoying as heck.  The point of the Microcells are to provide you with the service to make your phone operate correctly, TXTS and MMS is part of the things you are meant to get.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.