For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
sunvox's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, September 29th, 2015 4:25 PM

No GPS search.

I had a Microcell for 5 years with no trouble.  It stopped working 3 days ago.  I bought a new Microcell yesterday.  I have been unable to activate the new Microcell.  I have:

1) Made sure old Microcell is deactivated.

2) Waited 24 hours.

3) Called tech support and had them de-activate and re-activate the new unit.

4) Performed complete reset.

Each time I turned the unit on I got only the Ethernet green signal.  The GPS signal never flashed at all.

Does that have any meaning?  Shouldn't the unit try to find a GPS signal?

Given the previous years of great service I am leaning towards an ISP issue, but really I do not have time to  pursue this.  

Can I hire a technician through ATT to troubleshoot and resolve this issue?

Without the Microcell I have no service at my house and would be forced to change carriers as a result.  I have been an ATT customer for nearly 2 decades spending $200+ per month for all my family members.  I would be disappointed if I had to leave now.

I can't believe that ATT can't "talk to" the units directly and straighten out problems from their end.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

All three of mine must be magic because they all still work and test out ok. Well, actually two of the three are white MicroCells, the black one doesn't count.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, I only bought the unit a week ago so they let me return it for a full refund, and then I simply bought a second unit.

But, in a desire to be honest and offer full disclosure I thnk I should add some facts to the story, and then you can tell me whether or not this may have played a role in the demise of the unit.

1) I owned a white unit for many years, but it stopped picking up the GPS signal.

2) I bought a black unit, BUT by pure accident I plugged the old unit's AC adapter into the new black unit the first time I tried to set up the new unit.

3) I noticed the fact that I had the wrong adapter plugged in only AFTER the first 24 hours.  At that time I replaced the old AC adapter with the new proper adapter.

So . . .

If the old white unit had a defective adapter could that have damaged the new unit?

Just wondering, and trying to add as much "color" to the story as possible so others can learn something from my troubles.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

I don't think using the wrong adapter would damage the MicroCell. It just won't get the consistent power that it needs for all of its functions. If the adapter was shorting somehow, or felt really hot (subjective I know) and was pushing more current than is required, possibly.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

I doubt using another adapter of approximately the same output will cause any damage to the Mcell.  We have had one person report that they had measured an output voltage of 38 VDC from a faulty adapter.  I don't recall if there was any damage in that case but there is certainly the potential for an AC adapter-caused failure of the Mcell if the input voltage gets too high.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.