What is happening with 3G?
Keeztan's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, December 25th, 2017 2:55 PM

My Samsung j7 will not connect to Microcell

Samsung j7 will not connect to microcell. I have tried disconnecting Microcell and resetting, Powering off phone for 5 minutes or longer, disabling HD Voice etc. but no connection.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@Keeztan - Did you update the j7 recently? Did it ever work? What does the light pattern look like on the MicroCell.

This is a common problem with Android-based phones. Most often associated with the "flavor" of OS, apps loaded, etc that will affect the way the phone "sees" and attempts to connect to the MicroCell. It's not the MicroCell per se but your phone. If your phone is capable of WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) then I would disable the MicroCell altogether and setup WiFi-C, as long as you have a post paid AT&T account, which is the same requirement for the using the MicroCell? Keep in mind that you can not successfully use the MicroCell if you have WiFi-C enabled because the phone will preferentially attempt to connect to the cellular signal instead of your WiFi signal. It's either/or.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

The j7 is WiFi Calling capable as it has HD Voice.  Dump the Mcell and activate WiFi Calling on your phone.  AT&T no longer sells the Mcell and support for it will go away next year.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I have to use microcell because I live in a mobile home and no phone will pick up a signal due to the metal frame which is why we had to buy the microcell signal booster. Although we have WiFi no phones will work on just Wi-Fi in a mobile home.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@Klc49er - if your phone is WiFi-C capable, then your phone should be able to connect to your router's WiFi signal.  The MicroCell is not a signal booster but a femtocell (propagates an actual 3G cellular signal). You would need to disable the MicroCell (turn off the power) and setup WiFi-C on your phone so that it can connect to your router's WiFi signal. The MicroCell is a dead issue now so you really need to move forward and investigate WiFi-C. Your only other option is to purchase an actual cellular booster, which can work very well but is pricey.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

What make and model phones do you have?  Phones that are WiFi Calling capable do work in a mobile home with a WiFi router inside the structure.  A metal-skinned structure is a different story as far as sending and receiving cellphone signals while inside as you indicated.  WiFi Calling requires WiFi-C capable phones, an AT&T post-paid account, a DSL or cable internet ISP and a WiFi router or gateway.  If you have all that, the service is free. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

6 years ago

The J7 is Wifi calling capable.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40@Avedis53 - hopefully the OP understands now the difference between the MicroCell, WiFi-C, and WiFi.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

6 years ago

I found this..  “How to switch from Microcell to Wifi calling”

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1221704/

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 - we've seen that. "If Wi-Fi Calling isn’t listed, your phone isn’t compatible." This is the last item in that AT&T "help document". The wording is vague at best. It should be clearer and mention that a post paid account is required at the very beginning.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

6 years ago

Yes, it should say that, because then ATT reps and service people would know it too.  🤪

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.