What is happening with 3G?
rloseven's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014 1:16 PM

Microcell won't activate

Hello,  I have a brand new Microcell  (DPH154) and I can't get it to activate or to even start the activation process.  I have registered it online with the proper serial number and address where it is located.  I have it hooked up into a Netgear router and then to a cable modem.  I have checked all cables and tried others just to be sure.  The problem is that the Microcell won't connect to the internet.  On the front panel, the power light and GPS lights are solid green, but the green Ethernet light flickers off quickly about once a second and the Network light blinks green.  I have spoken to ATT support twice.  They ran me through all sorts of tests, but nothing worked.  The first night I spoke with them, they said the Microcell was bad and told me to exchange it.  So I went to the local ATT store and got another brand new one.The new one does exactly the same as the first.  I just wonder if anyone on here knows how I can test this thing to see what the problem is.  Here is what I know:

The router is working fine on all ports for other devices.

The cables work fine.

If I go into my router setup page and check for attached devices, it shows the Mac Address    and has assigned an IP address for the Microcell, though the name is .

If I try to Ping that IP, it says its unreachable  (I don't know if that should be possible or not though)

I have recycled power on everything about 100 times.

I connected the Microcell directly to my cable modem, bypassing the router, and it still does the same thing.

I tried the Microcell at two neighbors houses with the same failures.

I called my ISP (Bigsandy broad band) and asked if any ports were blocked.  They said no.

I waited all night on two nights for the activation and nothing happened.

My ATT web page shows the activation stuck on the Power up step.

I think that's all I have tried.  One thing that I wonder about is that my GPS location may be wrong.  I dont know if that would cause it to not even start the activation process, though.

If I go to Google maps and enter my street address, it shows a location that is about a mile and a half from where I actually live.  I don't know where ATT gets there location data though.

Sorry about this being so long, but I would really like for someone that knows more about this to offer suggestions of what I should do.

I will be gone for several hours, but will definitely check back in later today.

Thanks

Ron

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

The OP should try a hard reset but I doubt that is the problem.  Nor is it a locational database discrepancy vs. the GPS location as the GPS light has locked on.  The OP has tried the alternate connection method which eliminates the router as the problem and eliminated cables as a potential reason for the Mcell to show no Ethernet connection.  The router sees the Mcell so we know that the router ports aren't the problem.

It just might be a AC adapter issue.  We've seen this before with indicator lights doing weird things.  You could replace the AC adapter with a new one and see if that makes any difference.  If not, return the AC adaper.  See Otto's Tech Guide for AC adapter specs.

Former Employee

• 

52 Messages

9 years ago

Hey there it sounds to me like you are quite savvy in the understanding of the issue you are having so i just wanted to complement you on that 🙂

The GPS location is most definitely what the issue could be. Having coordinates that are just across the street can prove problematic when activating microcell devices, and with a 1.5 mile offset, that is definitely going to pose a problem.  I would recommend calling technical support on this issue and let them know of that, there is a special case that can be submitted to get the coordinates updated so that the device can correctly register and activate on the network.  Basically once this case gets handled, they will put in the needed latitude / longitude offset to get the device working and registered in your neck of the woods 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

That's not entirely true. If the power light and GPS light are solid green, he has power and a GPS lock. If his ethernet light is blinking green, there is no ethernet connection. No ethernet connection, no activation. If he received the GPS locational error, then GPS coordinates could be the issue.

I would connect directly to the modem (alternate connection) and do a hard reset of the MicroCell. Turn off the power to the MicroCell. Push a paperclip into the reset hole on the back of the MicroCell. Restore power and keep holding in the paperclip for about 30 seconds and then release it. That will reset the MicroCell back to factory defaults and force it to go thru the Initial Activation process again (see my Tech Guide, link in my sig, for details). If that doesn't work, then I would PM CustomerCare (link in my sig) explaining your problem, what you have done to correct it, your account information, the best way for them to contact you, and your location.

Is your ISP wired broadband or is it WiFi?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Well, I thank everyone for their replies.  I did finally get it to work.  No one was exactly right about my problem, but Avedis53 gave me the info that led to getting it working.  He said it could be something wrong with my AC adapter. I measured the voltage with a voltmeter and it looked fine.  It wasn't getting hot and was the second one I had tried since this was the second Microcell that I had tried.  But, I unplugged the adapter from a power strip I had it on and plugged it up on the same one that I have my router and modem on, and bingo, after power cycling the Microcell, the ethernet light came up and stayed on.  After about an hour, the microcell was working.  I don't exactly why this worked (maybe because it is a cheap cheap power strip and wasn't allowing enough current or steady current ?), but it did work and I can now use my cell phone in my house for the first time since I have had a cell phone !  So again, thanks

Ron

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Regarding this power strip, does it include a surge suppressor?  These can go bad over time and effect the power quality of devices plugged into them.

If my suggestion helped, please feel free to click "Accept Solution" or throw me a few rating stars. 

The management here beats us if we don't get our quota of Accepted Solutions or rating stars.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

I can throw a few stars your way if you want Smiley Very Happy The MOV's in surge suppresors do in fact go bad over time depending on how many spikes they've encountered. Maybe I should add that to the Guide under the AC adapter section? I've since moved my MicroCell off a power strip/surge suppressor and connected it to an APC Battery Backup where I have my modem and router connected as well.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, it does have a cheap surge protector in it.  The strip is probably about 20 years old and was used in an assembly plant where I used to work.  (No I didn't steal it)

I checked the accept solution for you.  I hope I did that so it went to the right person.

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

Yes. Avedis53 got the credit. I'll make sure he gets food and water by the Admins as well.

I think 20 years is a long time for a surge suppressor. Especially considering the advancements made with them since then. Over time I've taken all of my delicate electronics off of surge suppressors of that kind and put them on APC Battery backups (my HTS for example is on one as well). We don't get a lot of power outages or fluctuating current issues here (no severe electrical storms) but I like the idea of being able to have time to properly shutdown and protect my equipment if I'm home at the time of power loss. And even if not, the power protection in them is a lot better than strip surge suppressors.

There is a small mention of the ac adpaters in my Tech Guide but adding the surge suppressor as another possible cause might not be a bad idea.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the Accepted Solution.  I'll get my daily ration of gruel now!

Don't worry about Otto....he has so many of them, he doesn't need one.

Definitely need to add surge protector/power strips to the list of possible culprits in the Tech Guide along side faulty AC adapters.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I appear to have the same problem as Ron-- except he seems to have more patience.  I am posted under microcell nightmare.. because I wasn't sure the category.  We truly need some response from ATT (which is unlikely) because we are wasting so much time.. and we really need these cell phones to work.  

Has anyone thought all these black mc could have some unknown defect that is common right now.  Seems to all be the same problem with no real solution.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.