Microcell without access to ethernet port

Contributor

Microcell without access to ethernet port

My building has its own WiFi which I can log into just fine on any device. I just found out that my unit however does not have an ethernet port to be found. Does this then mean that I can't use my MicroCell?

I'm frustrated because I've just spent way too much time on trying to aquire the MicroCell, so if it ends up not working it will all have been for nothing.

Message 1 of 7 (1,289 Views)

Re: Microcell without access to ethernet port

With the microcell you do need to have a broadband internet connection and would need to have access to the router that the internet is provided from so that you could use the ethernet cable port on the router to plug in to the microcell device. 

With this being your apartment complex's provided internet I'm assuming you don't have direct access to the router so in that case the microcell would not work.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 7 (1,279 Views)
ACE - Master

The instructions that come with the MicroCell graphically illustrate the MicroCell being connected via an ethernet cable to a router or modem. As stated above, you will have to have direct access to the router to be able to connect the MicroCell. The MicroCell is not a wireless device.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7 (1,255 Views)
ACE - Professor

Or.....

The OP could buy a WiFi range extender/repeater and connect it to the router (providing they have the router login/password) like any other WiFi device.  They could then plug the Mcell into one of the range extender's Ethernet ports and use it.

Not having access to the router's settings could be a problem though if the OP needs to make changes to the router to accomodate the Mcell like port-forwarding, setting a static IP address, enabling IP-Sec Passthrough or disabling the blocking of fragmented packets.  This would require the OP to know who has administrative control of the WiFi system in her building and that the admin would be willing to make changes to router settings to allow her Mcell to work (if necessary).

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7 (1,229 Views)
ACE - Master

+1

Message 5 of 7 (1,224 Views)
Contributor

Avedis53 is on the right track. I am a landlord and provide WiFi for the tenants and have a garden level where the cell signals are too weak for some phones.

Talk to the property manager/ landlord to see if he/she will connect your MicroCell to the community router.

Message 6 of 7 (1,002 Views)
ACE - Master

The OP never got back to us so hopefully she followed Avedis's advice and asked for access.

Message 7 of 7 (991 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support