For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
Peckmom3's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, March 4th, 2014 10:30 PM

Microcell says address is wrong on GPS!! HELP!

Okay, a week ago the 3G light on my microcell started flashing green so I did what I always do when that happens- I rebooted it. A few minutes later the 3G light was blinking red and I got a text message from AT&T saying: 

ERROR 102- The registered address does not match the actual device location.

and an email reading:

There was an error activating your 3G MicroCell. The address you entered during online activation does not match the GPS information provided by the MicroCell.

So I called AT&T and they waked me through several rounds of unplugging, reregistering, etc. All those attempts failed and they mailed me a new microcell. Well the new one arrived the next day and after registering it and making sure that all information was correct, I plugged it it and got the same result. The top 4 lights solid green with the bottom 3G light blinking red and I got the same text message and email. 

I've been on the phone with AT&T every single day since and no one can help me with this problem. I get ZERO cell service at my house without this microcell so this is a real problem. Nothing on my end has changed- same internet service, same location of microcell in the house- right in a window- same everything. This issue was sudden and unexpected because one minute it was working fine and the next minute nothing. 

Any help would be so appreciated! Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I have not heard of AT&T re-designing the MicroCell to work with 4G/LTE. That would require new hardware so I'm not sure who called you or why. The blinking green 3G light means loss of connectivity to the AT&T servers. It could be AT&T or it could be something your ISP has done or is doing.

You've posted to the GPS problem thread. How do you know it's the GPS/wrong address issue?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Otto - the text messages I am receiving are these: (Free AT&T Txt Msg) Error 102-The registered address does not match the actual device location. Call 1-800-331-0500 or visit att.com/3GMicroCell.

The emails I receive:
Activation Failure (Error 102)
Hello LORI DUNNHALEY,

Mobile Number# 9892051103 Device# 00223A-0000402049

There was an error activating your 3G MicroCell. The address you entered during online activation does not match the GPS information provided by the MicroCell.
Please visit att.com/3GMicroCell and select Manage Settings to update the address information on your MicroCell account.
If the problem persists, please call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

Thank You,
AT&T

I don't know that I have a GPS issue. I shouldn't have since my address is where the MicroCell is. But these are the messages received.
Both messages were infrequent until more recently although we have had a lot of dropped calls for over a year. But the dropped calls are now more than 3 times per day with the need to reboot the MCell each time.

I have checked with CenturyLink and supposedly they have not changed anything or done anything to interfere with the MCell.

I have to follow up with at&t on the information I was given about the known issue with dropped calls with LTE phones and MCells, as it appears this information may be erroneous.

Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

There were some issues a month or so ago where the sent GPS coordinates didn't match the physical address that AT&T had in their database. This could have happened while AT&T was performing their nightly maintenance in your region. They will check your location against a nearby tower, and if the tower is not available or is down, then they will match GPS to what they have in their database for your address. I think that's where the problem lies. The two systems aren't talking to each other correctly. If AT&T can't verify your address, connectivity is disrupted and you get the flashing green 3G. If you go thru the activation process again, the same error occurs.

This has nothing to do with iPhones and 4G/LTE. Also keep in mind that most ISP customer support people haven't a clue as to what their engineers are doing behind the scenes. The same holds true for AT&T. So even if they say they haven't done anything to their system, you can't rely on that. Some are better than others but basically support are the last folks to know what's going on.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I understand that customer service does the best they can but aren't always aware of what some issues are or what is going on. How do you get past the 'front-line' of the ISP to get to someone who is knowledgable? This just occurred with AT&T too, and although I was past the 'front-line' and into Urgent Care, I was told that my iPhone isn't compatible with the MCell, known issue, etc. Erroneous information given by someone who should have more info. Getting to someone who knows what is going on and how to fix it is difficult and time consuming.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

The text message from AT&T that my address is wrong goes back to at least December 2103. And since that's around the time I purchased my new phone, probably before then but I would not have a record of those any more. I had text messages and emails that my address doesn't match the GPS location/activation failed in December (2 this month), one in March, and then this last Saturday I had 2, and one on Monday.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I understand your frustration and agree that phone support should be made more aware of what is going on and definitely not suggest to customers information that it just not true. Believe me when I tell you that the Admins I've talked to today are NOT happy that this is happening but like all companies the size of AT&T, a lot is compartmentalized and just getting the various divisons to talk to each other is a monumental feat. Unfortunately, it's the customer who pays the price.

The iPhone is totally compatible with the MicroCell, more so in fact than some other popular phones. We've had iPhones all the way back to the 3 and never had call quality or connection issues. Same is true for the old Samsung phones we had as well.

The address mis-match has nothing to do with your phone per se, it's how the MicroCell itself is attempting to communicate to the AT&T servers.

I know that AT&T is getting ready to release VoLTE in a select few markets by the end of next week. VoLTE is AT&T's new "high definition" cellular voice that is supposed to increase the voice clarity and quality. I touch upon it a bit in my Tech Guide (see link in my sig). It uses the LTE band so it won't be noticeable via the MicroCell because the MicroCell is 3G only. Just a guess on my part but maybe something is not quite right while they are tweaking the system and it has affected some MicroCell users. Probably not but AT&T is doing something on their end. I should have asked all of the folks who were having issues where they were located to see if there is a correlation between their locations and the selected markets for the initial VoLTE  rollout.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I bought a new router for our internet the other day, now my microcell says the GPS does not match. Have called customer service but to no avail. 

I did send an email the guy in post 96. 

Any help!? 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Does your new router meet the minimum requirements for the MicroCell (see the Tech Guide, link in my sig)? Are all of the lights a solid green on the MicroCell (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G)? Have you power cycled everything? You might want to try a hard reset of the MicroCell as well. Turn off the power to the MicroCell. Hold in the reset button on the back with a paperclip and restore power. Keep holding in the reset button for about 30 seconds. That forces the MicroCell to go thru the Initial Activation process again and clears up the registers as if it was brand new.

There are issues with the received GPS coordinates matching up with the locational database (in other words, the GPS agrees with the physical address). This has been going on for some time now and  it seems to be a localized issue in various service areas so AT&T has to look at these issues one by one.

I would also pm CustomerCare (see link in my sig) with your problem, what you have done, your account information, the best way for them to contact you, and most importantly, your location.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

Had a customer myself for the past 3 weeks who had the same problem. We went through three different mcells, all had the same problem. Turned out the Comcast modem setting needs to be on Medium (Typical), not on anything else. Mine was on Low and it wasn't working. I had to increase the firewall setting to Medium for it to work. If this isn't rediculous, I don't know what is.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks. It appears that more and more ISP's are providing modems and/or routers that are pre-configured which makes it difficult to figure out what the default settings are or how to modify them to meet the MicroCell requirements. AT&T is very public about what the router configurations are to be so it makes you wonder...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.