Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 4, 2014
2:30:15 PM
Microcell says address is wrong on GPS!! HELP!

Okay, a week ago the 3G light on my microcell started flashing green so I did what I always do when that happens- I rebooted it. A few minutes later the 3G light was blinking red and I got a text message from AT&T saying: 

ERROR 102- The registered address does not match the actual device location.

and an email reading:

There was an error activating your 3G MicroCell. The address you entered during online activation does not match the GPS information provided by the MicroCell.

So I called AT&T and they waked me through several rounds of unplugging, reregistering, etc. All those attempts failed and they mailed me a new microcell. Well the new one arrived the next day and after registering it and making sure that all information was correct, I plugged it it and got the same result. The top 4 lights solid green with the bottom 3G light blinking red and I got the same text message and email. 

I've been on the phone with AT&T every single day since and no one can help me with this problem. I get ZERO cell service at my house without this microcell so this is a real problem. Nothing on my end has changed- same internet service, same location of microcell in the house- right in a window- same everything. This issue was sudden and unexpected because one minute it was working fine and the next minute nothing. 

Any help would be so appreciated! Thanks.

Okay, a week ago the 3G light on my microcell started flashing green so I did what I always do when that happens- I rebooted it. A few minutes later the 3G light was blinking red and I got a text message from AT&T saying: 

ERROR 102- The registered address does not match the actual device location.

and an email reading:

There was an error activating your 3G MicroCell. The address you entered during online activation does not match the GPS information provided by the MicroCell.

So I called AT&T and they waked me through several rounds of unplugging, reregistering, etc. All those attempts failed and they mailed me a new microcell. Well the new one arrived the next day and after registering it and making sure that all information was correct, I plugged it it and got the same result. The top 4 lights solid green with the bottom 3G light blinking red and I got the same text message and email. 

I've been on the phone with AT&T every single day since and no one can help me with this problem. I get ZERO cell service at my house without this microcell so this is a real problem. Nothing on my end has changed- same internet service, same location of microcell in the house- right in a window- same everything. This issue was sudden and unexpected because one minute it was working fine and the next minute nothing. 

Any help would be so appreciated! Thanks.

Microcell says address is wrong on GPS!! HELP!

126 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
View all replies
(126)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 12:19:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks Dmitriy!

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Thanks Dmitriy!

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Microcell says address is wrong on GPS!! HELP!

91 of 127 (1,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 5:28:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

Help!

As of today I am having these same issues .. I live in Vonore, TN Lat 35.559882 Long -84.233004  

This is crazy - has been working fine for about 2 years and all of a sudden today it wouldn't work and I got an email from AT&T Activation Failure (Error 102) In an attempt to resolve the issue I have restarted every piece of equipment including hte MCell and deleted and readded it to my account to get the error FTC223: The address entered during online activation does not match the GPS information provided by your MicroCell. Please update “Your 3G MicroCell Device Location Information” section below with the current physical location of your 3G Microcell. If the problem persists, please call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

Called ATT and was told they opened a ticket and "hopefully" someone would get back to me by Friday to give me an update. What ?? Give me an update - FIX IT! My husband works from home and must have service !! This is crazy - she also told me not to go buy a new one because I would have the same issue .. 

HELP!

Help!

As of today I am having these same issues .. I live in Vonore, TN Lat 35.559882 Long -84.233004  

This is crazy - has been working fine for about 2 years and all of a sudden today it wouldn't work and I got an email from AT&T Activation Failure (Error 102) In an attempt to resolve the issue I have restarted every piece of equipment including hte MCell and deleted and readded it to my account to get the error FTC223: The address entered during online activation does not match the GPS information provided by your MicroCell. Please update “Your 3G MicroCell Device Location Information” section below with the current physical location of your 3G Microcell. If the problem persists, please call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

Called ATT and was told they opened a ticket and "hopefully" someone would get back to me by Friday to give me an update. What ?? Give me an update - FIX IT! My husband works from home and must have service !! This is crazy - she also told me not to go buy a new one because I would have the same issue .. 

HELP!

92 of 127 (1,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 5:58:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

See Dimitriy's post in this thread, post #90 and follow his instructions or see my separate post, GPS/Physical Address Issues, which is just a copy and paste of his post. AT&T is working on this but it looks like it may be on a case by case basis. There is no projected time for a fix because it's not a global problem and seems to be isolated to specific areas so identifying, isolating, and fixing is a slow process.

See Dimitriy's post in this thread, post #90 and follow his instructions or see my separate post, GPS/Physical Address Issues, which is just a copy and paste of his post. AT&T is working on this but it looks like it may be on a case by case basis. There is no projected time for a fix because it's not a global problem and seems to be isolated to specific areas so identifying, isolating, and fixing is a slow process.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

93 of 127 (1,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 6:07:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

AMAZING! I used my neighbors address and my husbands login after disconnecting from my account .. and just like you I am up and running now! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! My husband works from home as a Medical Professional and is on call needing his phone to work .. you are a life saver, thanks so much for posting your fix! 

AMAZING! I used my neighbors address and my husbands login after disconnecting from my account .. and just like you I am up and running now! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! My husband works from home as a Medical Professional and is on call needing his phone to work .. you are a life saver, thanks so much for posting your fix! 

Re: Activation Nightmare still not over!

94 of 127 (1,596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 6:13:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Please send your info to Dimitriy as requested. AT&T does periodic maintenance in the middle of the night and part of that maintenance is checking location against GPS. If they don't match, you'll wake up to a blinking green (and sometimes red) 3G light with no service. You really need to get your address problem fixed because using another, close by address, is only temporary.

Please send your info to Dimitriy as requested. AT&T does periodic maintenance in the middle of the night and part of that maintenance is checking location against GPS. If they don't match, you'll wake up to a blinking green (and sometimes red) 3G light with no service. You really need to get your address problem fixed because using another, close by address, is only temporary.

95 of 127 (1,595 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 7:17:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Yep

Yep

96 of 127 (1,594 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 1:32:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

Just a quick update.  Worked on the 24th over the phone with a person who located my cell lat long and was to pass the info on to the team working on the problem.  He said to expect a call back on 3/26.  Call came to my cell but I missed it, voice mail said to call a number, of course and without a functional microcell, the message is garbled so I could not return the call.  I did however try to contact tech support via the usual number and gave the case number which greatly facilitated getting to level 2 and reported the problem with the microcell  was not yet resolved.  (Actually tech support when they looked it up the case number said it had been resolved?) I assured them this was not the case.  They forwarded the information off to whoever is really wokring on the problem.

Just a quick update.  Worked on the 24th over the phone with a person who located my cell lat long and was to pass the info on to the team working on the problem.  He said to expect a call back on 3/26.  Call came to my cell but I missed it, voice mail said to call a number, of course and without a functional microcell, the message is garbled so I could not return the call.  I did however try to contact tech support via the usual number and gave the case number which greatly facilitated getting to level 2 and reported the problem with the microcell  was not yet resolved.  (Actually tech support when they looked it up the case number said it had been resolved?) I assured them this was not the case.  They forwarded the information off to whoever is really wokring on the problem.

97 of 127 (1,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 1:50:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

See Dmitiry's post for how to "log" your issue with him, if you haven't done so already. It's on the previous page. I also copied his request and made a new posting to better highlight it for those affected.

See Dmitiry's post for how to "log" your issue with him, if you haven't done so already. It's on the previous page. I also copied his request and made a new posting to better highlight it for those affected.

98 of 127 (1,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 5:58:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

It is now April 25th.  The Microcell and its replacement still does not work. Same issues as before, blinking red 3G light.  I am no longer being contacted by anyone.  I called in on the 18th and was told my case had been sent to Megan who was working on the error message problem.  They will call me back.  Has not happened.   I am thinking they solved some problems as I was told that about 9 out of ten users problems were solved by sending a replacment unit.  I guess I am in the unlucky 10%.  Any word on a soltion or have they given up? 

It is now April 25th.  The Microcell and its replacement still does not work. Same issues as before, blinking red 3G light.  I am no longer being contacted by anyone.  I called in on the 18th and was told my case had been sent to Megan who was working on the error message problem.  They will call me back.  Has not happened.   I am thinking they solved some problems as I was told that about 9 out of ten users problems were solved by sending a replacment unit.  I guess I am in the unlucky 10%.  Any word on a soltion or have they given up? 

99 of 127 (1,479 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 8:36:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I had heard about 70% of the affected users were up and running but that was some time ago. I'll forward  your post to the Admins. I don't know if "Megan" is an AT&T employee or a sub-con. Shouldn't make a difference though.

I had heard about 70% of the affected users were up and running but that was some time ago. I'll forward  your post to the Admins. I don't know if "Megan" is an AT&T employee or a sub-con. Shouldn't make a difference though.

100 of 127 (1,473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 1:55:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

In my case there is still one important customer who does not have use of his Microcell.  Seems there was a bunch of actvity a few weeks ago then not much at all since then.  Each time a call is made I get a different person who says they will forward it off to the person who is handling the case.  At least I have not been asked to go through all of the trouble shooting steps with the exception of the reset rpocess. 

I have updated my status to the Social Care folks as well but no repsonse from them either. 

Thanks for any proding you can do to help solve the problem.

In my case there is still one important customer who does not have use of his Microcell.  Seems there was a bunch of actvity a few weeks ago then not much at all since then.  Each time a call is made I get a different person who says they will forward it off to the person who is handling the case.  At least I have not been asked to go through all of the trouble shooting steps with the exception of the reset rpocess. 

I have updated my status to the Social Care folks as well but no repsonse from them either. 

Thanks for any proding you can do to help solve the problem.

101 of 127 (1,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 2:15:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The Admin said that she forwarded your posting (via my message to her) along with  your cusomter info so hopefully being as it came from internal, you'll get some traction and resolution. I'll do what I can.

The Admin said that she forwarded your posting (via my message to her) along with  your cusomter info so hopefully being as it came from internal, you'll get some traction and resolution. I'll do what I can.

102 of 127 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 6:09:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

Update about 5:30 pm today (May 1st) I got a text message that my mircrocell had been successfully activated.  YEAH!

I am not sure just what the problem has been or how it was solved, since I have had no contact since 4/18. 

Regardless, I want to thank all of those folks who have been working on the problem.

I for one appreciate the time and effort that it must have taken.

Update about 5:30 pm today (May 1st) I got a text message that my mircrocell had been successfully activated.  YEAH!

I am not sure just what the problem has been or how it was solved, since I have had no contact since 4/18. 

Regardless, I want to thank all of those folks who have been working on the problem.

I for one appreciate the time and effort that it must have taken.

103 of 127 (1,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2014 4:37:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I'm glad to hear that your Mcell has activated.  Perhaps AT&T did something on their end to make that happen, but you'll never know.

Let us know if anything changes.

I'm glad to hear that your Mcell has activated.  Perhaps AT&T did something on their end to make that happen, but you'll never know.

Let us know if anything changes.

104 of 127 (1,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2014 6:34:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Thanks Avedis. I'm out of town so replying via phone is tedious.

Thanks Avedis. I'm out of town so replying via phone is tedious.

105 of 127 (1,393 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2014 2:19:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am having the same problem. Around the 1st of March my microcell that had been sitting on a shelf humming away for over a year went to blinking 3G light. Now almost 2 months into this.....

This is the problem that is occuring.......After the 1st of this year (different timing for various area's) the Phase II of E-911 implementation began......I know that google earthing, talking with the people that did the survey (probably at his kitchen table) and checking, that although my house is in the same place (NW Okla, very rural) that nearly any database that can even find my location or address puts me 3 miles East of where I really am.

AT&T contracted this surveying out to multiple independant parties and they have turned in "NEW" information to the E-911 system and it appear's that these parties have done a very haphazard and poorly conducted review of addressing. From what I've put together very few of these contractor's used any GPS verification of address's and merely relied on maps and various other unverified information, then turned it in to the Wireless Carrier's.

This is a problem that will cause a very BLACK eye, especially to AT&T.

The lack of any oversite by the Wireless Carrier's or many of the E911 director's in the various state's has created a very hazardous state for many that may some day have to reliy on Emergency service's ...............not to mention the lack of wireless access.

AT&T need to get these contractor's back out quickly into the field with strict guidelines and proper maps ANNNNDDDD Gps to verify at the very least the customer's address's that are having the problems.....Then they need to go to the States E911 commission member's and raise a little ........weeeeellll.

This keeps up much longer and they are going to lose a 20+ yr customer here. I am working with a Teir 4 person now and have been for over 3 weeks and still no resolution.......as the individual who did the E911 for AT&T here basically flat refuse's to admit he made massive error's and he even told AT&T rep that he wouldn't fix it.

People add your E911 people in your state's and counties to your call and complain list...this is a massive, massive screw up a unheard of proportion.

Also I am suspecting that some issues are aggravated by some of the major internet backbone carrier's that are making changes, especially in the SSL certificates of their web servers and this MAY be biting some as I suspect that their is some kind of certificate matching that the Microcell software does to verify security in addition to the location data.

This is an issue that could use massive media coverage, because AT&T is going to keep bouncing everyone around until it bite's their bottom line!

Like I said I am in very Rural NW Okla, but my microcell worked perfectly until around the 1st of March. I am now sitting on a (more money) Static IP, ALL port blocking removed,

6 mb, Fiber OPTIC line from my ISP's server farm to my house and have spent several hours overall on the phone with the IT guys coordinating this end......But UNTIL AT&T get's off their collective duff's and actually does something ain't nuthin gona git better!

Disgusted Steve

I am having the same problem. Around the 1st of March my microcell that had been sitting on a shelf humming away for over a year went to blinking 3G light. Now almost 2 months into this.....

This is the problem that is occuring.......After the 1st of this year (different timing for various area's) the Phase II of E-911 implementation began......I know that google earthing, talking with the people that did the survey (probably at his kitchen table) and checking, that although my house is in the same place (NW Okla, very rural) that nearly any database that can even find my location or address puts me 3 miles East of where I really am.

AT&T contracted this surveying out to multiple independant parties and they have turned in "NEW" information to the E-911 system and it appear's that these parties have done a very haphazard and poorly conducted review of addressing. From what I've put together very few of these contractor's used any GPS verification of address's and merely relied on maps and various other unverified information, then turned it in to the Wireless Carrier's.

This is a problem that will cause a very BLACK eye, especially to AT&T.

The lack of any oversite by the Wireless Carrier's or many of the E911 director's in the various state's has created a very hazardous state for many that may some day have to reliy on Emergency service's ...............not to mention the lack of wireless access.

AT&T need to get these contractor's back out quickly into the field with strict guidelines and proper maps ANNNNDDDD Gps to verify at the very least the customer's address's that are having the problems.....Then they need to go to the States E911 commission member's and raise a little ........weeeeellll.

This keeps up much longer and they are going to lose a 20+ yr customer here. I am working with a Teir 4 person now and have been for over 3 weeks and still no resolution.......as the individual who did the E911 for AT&T here basically flat refuse's to admit he made massive error's and he even told AT&T rep that he wouldn't fix it.

People add your E911 people in your state's and counties to your call and complain list...this is a massive, massive screw up a unheard of proportion.

Also I am suspecting that some issues are aggravated by some of the major internet backbone carrier's that are making changes, especially in the SSL certificates of their web servers and this MAY be biting some as I suspect that their is some kind of certificate matching that the Microcell software does to verify security in addition to the location data.

This is an issue that could use massive media coverage, because AT&T is going to keep bouncing everyone around until it bite's their bottom line!

Like I said I am in very Rural NW Okla, but my microcell worked perfectly until around the 1st of March. I am now sitting on a (more money) Static IP, ALL port blocking removed,

6 mb, Fiber OPTIC line from my ISP's server farm to my house and have spent several hours overall on the phone with the IT guys coordinating this end......But UNTIL AT&T get's off their collective duff's and actually does something ain't nuthin gona git better!

Disgusted Steve

106 of 127 (1,382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2014 8:15:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

@ Satar

I can certainly sympathize with your situation.  We have had many people post about the discrepency between their GPS location and the location database that AT&T uses.  I read that you were working with a Tier 4 support person ( I wasn't aware one even existed) but have you tried contacting Customer Care also (See link below)?

They may be able to help you as they seem to be able to get things moving when the usual phone support can't seem to make any headway .  Send them a message about your problem and be sure to include your location.

ATTCustomerCare

@ Satar

I can certainly sympathize with your situation.  We have had many people post about the discrepency between their GPS location and the location database that AT&T uses.  I read that you were working with a Tier 4 support person ( I wasn't aware one even existed) but have you tried contacting Customer Care also (See link below)?

They may be able to help you as they seem to be able to get things moving when the usual phone support can't seem to make any headway .  Send them a message about your problem and be sure to include your location.

ATTCustomerCare

107 of 127 (1,373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2014 6:40:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm back but I see you have the situation well in hand.

I'm back but I see you have the situation well in hand.

108 of 127 (1,360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2014 11:51:57 AM
(0)
Tutor
Hi
I lost device on 3/26 it is now 5/4 and AT&T has NOT resolved the issue with my flashing 3G light.
I have no other choice but to take my business account to another provider. I have been very patience but do not see a fix in the near future.
Hi
I lost device on 3/26 it is now 5/4 and AT&T has NOT resolved the issue with my flashing 3G light.
I have no other choice but to take my business account to another provider. I have been very patience but do not see a fix in the near future.

109 of 127 (1,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2014 11:52:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on May 4, 2014 at 11:53:06 AM

Have you contacted CustomerCare (link in my sig?).

Have you contacted CustomerCare (link in my sig?).

[ Edited ]
110 of 127 (1,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2014 2:37:51 PM
(0)
Tutor
AT&T contacted me about my MCell. I have received 2 calls, both of which were unfortunately cut short due to the MCell cutting out. I received a voice message today after the last call was dropped that there is a known issue with MCell dropping calls with LTE Apple phones. A new MCell that will work with LTE devices is being worked on but this is not known when it will be available. I dropped 4 calls today, rebooted the MCell 5 times. For whatever reason, this is getting worse. (Our MCell doesn't show red - the green light is either on, blinking, or goes out and it has been out more than on today). And there doesn't appear to be a fix in sight. I'm confused why this seems to be getting worse. We may have to change providers so we have phone coverage unfortunately.
AT&T contacted me about my MCell. I have received 2 calls, both of which were unfortunately cut short due to the MCell cutting out. I received a voice message today after the last call was dropped that there is a known issue with MCell dropping calls with LTE Apple phones. A new MCell that will work with LTE devices is being worked on but this is not known when it will be available. I dropped 4 calls today, rebooted the MCell 5 times. For whatever reason, this is getting worse. (Our MCell doesn't show red - the green light is either on, blinking, or goes out and it has been out more than on today). And there doesn't appear to be a fix in sight. I'm confused why this seems to be getting worse. We may have to change providers so we have phone coverage unfortunately.

111 of 127 (1,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2014 2:49:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have not heard of AT&T re-designing the MicroCell to work with 4G/LTE. That would require new hardware so I'm not sure who called you or why. The blinking green 3G light means loss of connectivity to the AT&T servers. It could be AT&T or it could be something your ISP has done or is doing.

You've posted to the GPS problem thread. How do you know it's the GPS/wrong address issue?

I have not heard of AT&T re-designing the MicroCell to work with 4G/LTE. That would require new hardware so I'm not sure who called you or why. The blinking green 3G light means loss of connectivity to the AT&T servers. It could be AT&T or it could be something your ISP has done or is doing.

You've posted to the GPS problem thread. How do you know it's the GPS/wrong address issue?

112 of 127 (1,275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2014 8:42:34 AM
(0)
Tutor
Otto - the text messages I am receiving are these: (Free AT&T Txt Msg) Error 102-The registered address does not match the actual device location. Call 1-800-331-0500 or visit att.com/3GMicroCell.

The emails I receive:
Activation Failure (Error 102)
Hello LORI DUNNHALEY,

Mobile Number# 9892051103 Device# 00223A-0000402049

Please visit att.com/3GMicroCell and select Manage Settings to update the address information on your MicroCell account.
If the problem persists, please call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

Thank You,
AT&T

I don't know that I have a GPS issue. I shouldn't have since my address is where the MicroCell is. But these are the messages received.
Both messages were infrequent until more recently although we have had a lot of dropped calls for over a year. But the dropped calls are now more than 3 times per day with the need to reboot the MCell each time.

I have checked with CenturyLink and supposedly they have not changed anything or done anything to interfere with the MCell.

I have to follow up with at&t on the information I was given about the known issue with dropped calls with LTE phones and MCells, as it appears this information may be erroneous.

Thanks.

Otto - the text messages I am receiving are these: (Free AT&T Txt Msg) Error 102-The registered address does not match the actual device location. Call 1-800-331-0500 or visit att.com/3GMicroCell.

The emails I receive:
Activation Failure (Error 102)
Hello LORI DUNNHALEY,

Mobile Number# 9892051103 Device# 00223A-0000402049

Please visit att.com/3GMicroCell and select Manage Settings to update the address information on your MicroCell account.
If the problem persists, please call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

Thank You,
AT&T

I don't know that I have a GPS issue. I shouldn't have since my address is where the MicroCell is. But these are the messages received.
Both messages were infrequent until more recently although we have had a lot of dropped calls for over a year. But the dropped calls are now more than 3 times per day with the need to reboot the MCell each time.

I have checked with CenturyLink and supposedly they have not changed anything or done anything to interfere with the MCell.

I have to follow up with at&t on the information I was given about the known issue with dropped calls with LTE phones and MCells, as it appears this information may be erroneous.

Thanks.

113 of 127 (1,261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2014 9:08:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

There were some issues a month or so ago where the sent GPS coordinates didn't match the physical address that AT&T had in their database. This could have happened while AT&T was performing their nightly maintenance in your region. They will check your location against a nearby tower, and if the tower is not available or is down, then they will match GPS to what they have in their database for your address. I think that's where the problem lies. The two systems aren't talking to each other correctly. If AT&T can't verify your address, connectivity is disrupted and you get the flashing green 3G. If you go thru the activation process again, the same error occurs.

This has nothing to do with iPhones and 4G/LTE. Also keep in mind that most ISP customer support people haven't a clue as to what their engineers are doing behind the scenes. The same holds true for AT&T. So even if they say they haven't done anything to their system, you can't rely on that. Some are better than others but basically support are the last folks to know what's going on.

There were some issues a month or so ago where the sent GPS coordinates didn't match the physical address that AT&T had in their database. This could have happened while AT&T was performing their nightly maintenance in your region. They will check your location against a nearby tower, and if the tower is not available or is down, then they will match GPS to what they have in their database for your address. I think that's where the problem lies. The two systems aren't talking to each other correctly. If AT&T can't verify your address, connectivity is disrupted and you get the flashing green 3G. If you go thru the activation process again, the same error occurs.

This has nothing to do with iPhones and 4G/LTE. Also keep in mind that most ISP customer support people haven't a clue as to what their engineers are doing behind the scenes. The same holds true for AT&T. So even if they say they haven't done anything to their system, you can't rely on that. Some are better than others but basically support are the last folks to know what's going on.

114 of 127 (1,258 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2014 2:22:35 PM
(0)
Tutor
I understand that customer service does the best they can but aren't always aware of what some issues are or what is going on. How do you get past the 'front-line' of the ISP to get to someone who is knowledgable? This just occurred with AT&T too, and although I was past the 'front-line' and into Urgent Care, I was told that my iPhone isn't compatible with the MCell, known issue, etc. Erroneous information given by someone who should have more info. Getting to someone who knows what is going on and how to fix it is difficult and time consuming.
I understand that customer service does the best they can but aren't always aware of what some issues are or what is going on. How do you get past the 'front-line' of the ISP to get to someone who is knowledgable? This just occurred with AT&T too, and although I was past the 'front-line' and into Urgent Care, I was told that my iPhone isn't compatible with the MCell, known issue, etc. Erroneous information given by someone who should have more info. Getting to someone who knows what is going on and how to fix it is difficult and time consuming.

115 of 127 (1,240 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2014 2:29:06 PM
(0)
Tutor
The text message from AT&T that my address is wrong goes back to at least December 2103. And since that's around the time I purchased my new phone, probably before then but I would not have a record of those any more. I had text messages and emails that my address doesn't match the GPS location/activation failed in December (2 this month), one in March, and then this last Saturday I had 2, and one on Monday.
The text message from AT&T that my address is wrong goes back to at least December 2103. And since that's around the time I purchased my new phone, probably before then but I would not have a record of those any more. I had text messages and emails that my address doesn't match the GPS location/activation failed in December (2 this month), one in March, and then this last Saturday I had 2, and one on Monday.

116 of 127 (1,239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2014 2:44:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I understand your frustration and agree that phone support should be made more aware of what is going on and definitely not suggest to customers information that it just not true. Believe me when I tell you that the Admins I've talked to today are NOT happy that this is happening but like all companies the size of AT&T, a lot is compartmentalized and just getting the various divisons to talk to each other is a monumental feat. Unfortunately, it's the customer who pays the price.

The iPhone is totally compatible with the MicroCell, more so in fact than some other popular phones. We've had iPhones all the way back to the 3 and never had call quality or connection issues. Same is true for the old Samsung phones we had as well.

The address mis-match has nothing to do with your phone per se, it's how the MicroCell itself is attempting to communicate to the AT&T servers.

I know that AT&T is getting ready to release VoLTE in a select few markets by the end of next week. VoLTE is AT&T's new "high definition" cellular voice that is supposed to increase the voice clarity and quality. I touch upon it a bit in my Tech Guide (see link in my sig). It uses the LTE band so it won't be noticeable via the MicroCell because the MicroCell is 3G only. Just a guess on my part but maybe something is not quite right while they are tweaking the system and it has affected some MicroCell users. Probably not but AT&T is doing something on their end. I should have asked all of the folks who were having issues where they were located to see if there is a correlation between their locations and the selected markets for the initial VoLTE  rollout.

I understand your frustration and agree that phone support should be made more aware of what is going on and definitely not suggest to customers information that it just not true. Believe me when I tell you that the Admins I've talked to today are NOT happy that this is happening but like all companies the size of AT&T, a lot is compartmentalized and just getting the various divisons to talk to each other is a monumental feat. Unfortunately, it's the customer who pays the price.

The iPhone is totally compatible with the MicroCell, more so in fact than some other popular phones. We've had iPhones all the way back to the 3 and never had call quality or connection issues. Same is true for the old Samsung phones we had as well.

The address mis-match has nothing to do with your phone per se, it's how the MicroCell itself is attempting to communicate to the AT&T servers.

I know that AT&T is getting ready to release VoLTE in a select few markets by the end of next week. VoLTE is AT&T's new "high definition" cellular voice that is supposed to increase the voice clarity and quality. I touch upon it a bit in my Tech Guide (see link in my sig). It uses the LTE band so it won't be noticeable via the MicroCell because the MicroCell is 3G only. Just a guess on my part but maybe something is not quite right while they are tweaking the system and it has affected some MicroCell users. Probably not but AT&T is doing something on their end. I should have asked all of the folks who were having issues where they were located to see if there is a correlation between their locations and the selected markets for the initial VoLTE  rollout.

117 of 127 (1,233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2014 6:25:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

I bought a new router for our internet the other day, now my microcell says the GPS does not match. Have called customer service but to no avail. 

I did send an email the guy in post 96. 

Any help!? 

I bought a new router for our internet the other day, now my microcell says the GPS does not match. Have called customer service but to no avail. 

I did send an email the guy in post 96. 

Any help!? 

118 of 127 (1,157 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2014 8:13:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Does your new router meet the minimum requirements for the MicroCell (see the Tech Guide, link in my sig)? Are all of the lights a solid green on the MicroCell (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G)? Have you power cycled everything? You might want to try a hard reset of the MicroCell as well. Turn off the power to the MicroCell. Hold in the reset button on the back with a paperclip and restore power. Keep holding in the reset button for about 30 seconds. That forces the MicroCell to go thru the Initial Activation process again and clears up the registers as if it was brand new.

There are issues with the received GPS coordinates matching up with the locational database (in other words, the GPS agrees with the physical address). This has been going on for some time now and  it seems to be a localized issue in various service areas so AT&T has to look at these issues one by one.

I would also pm CustomerCare (see link in my sig) with your problem, what you have done, your account information, the best way for them to contact you, and most importantly, your location.

Does your new router meet the minimum requirements for the MicroCell (see the Tech Guide, link in my sig)? Are all of the lights a solid green on the MicroCell (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G)? Have you power cycled everything? You might want to try a hard reset of the MicroCell as well. Turn off the power to the MicroCell. Hold in the reset button on the back with a paperclip and restore power. Keep holding in the reset button for about 30 seconds. That forces the MicroCell to go thru the Initial Activation process again and clears up the registers as if it was brand new.

There are issues with the received GPS coordinates matching up with the locational database (in other words, the GPS agrees with the physical address). This has been going on for some time now and  it seems to be a localized issue in various service areas so AT&T has to look at these issues one by one.

I would also pm CustomerCare (see link in my sig) with your problem, what you have done, your account information, the best way for them to contact you, and most importantly, your location.

119 of 127 (1,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2014 9:43:54 AM
(0)
Teacher

Had a customer myself for the past 3 weeks who had the same problem. We went through three different mcells, all had the same problem. Turned out the Comcast modem setting needs to be on Medium (Typical), not on anything else. Mine was on Low and it wasn't working. I had to increase the firewall setting to Medium for it to work. If this isn't rediculous, I don't know what is.

Had a customer myself for the past 3 weeks who had the same problem. We went through three different mcells, all had the same problem. Turned out the Comcast modem setting needs to be on Medium (Typical), not on anything else. Mine was on Low and it wasn't working. I had to increase the firewall setting to Medium for it to work. If this isn't rediculous, I don't know what is.

120 of 127 (869 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments