Helpful Links

Microcell says address is wrong on GPS!! HELP!

Tutor

Microcell says address is wrong on GPS!! HELP!

Okay, a week ago the 3G light on my microcell started flashing green so I did what I always do when that happens- I rebooted it. A few minutes later the 3G light was blinking red and I got a text message from AT&T saying: 

ERROR 102- The registered address does not match the actual device location.

and an email reading:

There was an error activating your 3G MicroCell. The address you entered during online activation does not match the GPS information provided by the MicroCell.

So I called AT&T and they waked me through several rounds of unplugging, reregistering, etc. All those attempts failed and they mailed me a new microcell. Well the new one arrived the next day and after registering it and making sure that all information was correct, I plugged it it and got the same result. The top 4 lights solid green with the bottom 3G light blinking red and I got the same text message and email. 

I've been on the phone with AT&T every single day since and no one can help me with this problem. I get ZERO cell service at my house without this microcell so this is a real problem. Nothing on my end has changed- same internet service, same location of microcell in the house- right in a window- same everything. This issue was sudden and unexpected because one minute it was working fine and the next minute nothing. 

Any help would be so appreciated! Thanks.

Message 1 of 129
Teacher

Re: Activation Nightmare still not over!

Well AT&T merged my topic and now its almost impossible to follow you thanks to them. We've got like 5 conversations merged into one topic. Brilliant :/ What else would I expect from AT&T. Smiley Sad

Message 61 of 129
Tutor

Thank you, Otto. I am also on my call back from earlier this morning and the rep is collecting more data for the powers that be
Message 62 of 129
Teacher

Ok Otto, thanks for the information. Well AT&T tells me that if the 3G Light is blinking green that means that the microcell cannot connect back to their servers. There is really no way to test if the microcell has internet connectivity, the light simply goes green for a link (Much like how your wireless can be connected, but you dont ahve internet service). I know the other nodes are connecting to the internet without incident, so I assume that the microcell should be able to as well.

I HAVE AN UPDATE: Well now when I disconnect and reactivate the Microcell through at&t website, when I get to the activation progress page (Steps 1-4) and nothing happens. It just sits there with all of them saying pending. I have power cycled the microcell, but the power up step just says pending. 3G Light flashing green. So Im not sure if that is any better or not, but Im at least seeing a change. I really wish there was a way to tell if the problem was in home and my microcell for some reason cant connect to the internet, or if the problem is on at&t's servers and my microcell is in fact connected to the internet, just not getting a response.

Message 63 of 129
ACE - Master

A blinking green 3G light does mean that you don't have a connection to the AT&T servers but there can be lots of causes for this. The most common causes are ISP or router issues. But I don't think that's the case here. We have two documented cases from MO so this may be a regional or MicroCell Service Area issue.

What would be very helpful when you PM CustomerCare is also include contact information outside of this forum. AT&T DOES NOT datamine so any extra information you submit will not be shared.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTMobilityCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 64 of 129
Teacher

Thanks Otto, I sent them another message, I provided 3 methods of contacting me, its well over the 24 hour window they provided, still havent heard from them using any of the three. I have sent them everything I can really, now the waiting game I suppose.

While I wait, are there any methods to rule out my router and ISP? Like you I highly doubt that is the case here, but I would sleep better if I could guarentee it. But Im not really aware of any method of detecting if the microcell is able to connect to the internet.

Message 65 of 129
ACE - Master

If you haven't made any changes to your router (no firmware updates or pushes by your ISP) and the MicroCell was working fine before, then I can't think of anything you can do other than making sure the minimal requirements are being met (IPSec Passthrough, etc).

To rule out your router you can try a priority connection with is connecting the MicroCell directly to the RG and by-passing the router altogether. But if you have an all-in-one RG/router combo, you can't do that.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTMobilityCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 66 of 129
Teacher

Good call. I put it back in front of the router, so its straight into the modem. Still the same thing, flashing green 3G light, and activation process doesnt even look like its started, power up is pending. I power cycled it when I did this of course.

So... its either the ISP (which has been ruled out time and again, even once by AT&T rep) or its a problem on AT&T side.

I do find it odd that it no longer goes red, it just flashes green.

Message 67 of 129
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Oh yeah. The merging of the topics is not a bad idea, at least for me, because it makes it so much easier for me, and the mods, to follow a thread. It's looking more and more like a regional issue in which IT has to get involved but that's about all I can say (on know).

Not flashing red is a good thing. At least the MicroCell doesn't think it's a system failure (MicroCell) and you're just unable to connect to the AT&T servers.

Message 68 of 129
Tutor

Re: Microcell says address is wrong on GPS!! HELP!

Mine flashes red when i had the gps location error.
I never gave my location.. I'm in NC
Message 69 of 129
Teacher

I am glad that it makes it easier for you to respond Otto, though I dont see how. It would seem easier to me to reply to each individual would be much easier than shuffling everyone together. But you have experience here and whatever helps you proide the best support Im all for.

I apologize that you catch the wrath Otto, you are a truly good person to lend your assistance all across this forum to the many that come here to simply obtain service that works. If my words mean anything, AT&T should compensate you as you have been more helpful in 1 day than the random people that I talked to on the phone were in months. If nothing else THANK YOU for not telling me for the 4,318,299th time to "unplug it and plug it back in". Perhaps AT&T should hire you to train their employees. You are the example of what customer service should be!

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Message 70 of 129
Contributor

Okay, so I like everyone else have had the worst two weeks of my life. Let me share my story with you. I have had the same mcell for over a year, in the same exact spot on my window, with the same Internet and router, and have never once had a problem with it until two weeks ago randomly. I woke up one morning and my phone said, "no service" so I went over to the mcell and I had the flashing red 3g bar. I unplugged the mcell, and of course the same exact thing happened. So I literally unplugged all of my routers and it still didn't work. I then signed onto my account and it said that the GPS location did not match the actual location of the mcell. So after COUNTLESS phone calls to the tech support (after waiting for a solid 25 minutes for someone to help me) I was told that my mcell was defective, that I needed a new one, that my Internet didn't support it, and that it needed to be worked on. I waited the 48 hours that I was told it was gonna take until I got a call from a tech person, but go figure didn't get a phone call until 6 days later. At that rate I was furious, because I had been told multiple things. This guy told me that an update was sent out to the mcells and some of them got effected by it which also effected the account, so that even if I got a new mcell it still wouldn't work. He then proceeded to tell me that there was nothing he could do and that I needed to wait for them to fix the mcells. That answer didn't satisfy me at all.. 

I have NO SERVICE at my house. I literally live in the sticks, and AT&T is the worst phone carrier to have out here because it's unreliable (I would drop if it didn't cost me an arm and a leg). It has been two weeks now that it hasn't worked, and I refuse to speak to tech support that tells me something different each time. I, like other customers, pay hard earned money for my cell phone and I did for my mcell as well, so them telling me that there was nothing they could do infuriated me. Tonight, March 19, I got fed up. I have read every single post on the forum about this problem, and even dug deeper on google. My result: I beat the system Smiley Very Happy 

Here's How: I read that a hard reset did the trick, so that's where I started. I then switched my mcell to a different account (my boyfriends) to activate it because the guy thought my account got affected too. I went through the activation steps, and got all the way up to the verify location before the hated red message. So I "disconnected" the mcell on the website. I went over to the mcell and unplugged it, and reset my wireless router and modem. I then had an idea to plug the yellow ethernet cord into the actual modem. Then I got thinking even more to the "GPS Location" when people were saying that they had to register an address that's recognized with AT&T. So, I entered my address into google and it's not a "9-1-1" address, so I found the nearest address that was (my next door neighbor). I then entered it into my device location, because the device only needs to be verified by an AT&T tower anyways, and I read that on the manual. I then read on the manual that you can hold the reset button on the mcell for 30 seconds DURING the activation process. I did it during the powering up step. Guess what? It worked.

-Ethernet cord into internet modem directly (not wireless router), putting an address that is recognized on the map into the device location, unplug and plug mcell, start the activation process, then go press the reset button for 30 seconds. Ta-da! I then disconnected the mcell from my boyfriends account, and put it back under mine (that was "affected") with the altered address and the reset, and it is now working perfectly fine and has a solid green 3g. I'm not saying the way I did it was the "right" way, but my way has made it possible to have cell phone service that my carrier can't provide me. It also has allowed me to dodge the frustration and fury that encompasses the dead-end tech support with a device that is notorious for this problem, AND STILL HASN'T BEEN FIXED.

Here's one for a head scratcher: We pay AT&T monthly for our cell phones, but also pay them for this device to access our internet that we pay for, so they can patch the holes in their network... Just let that sink in.

-Sincerely, 

Not a happy camper

P.S: Share your results if one of these work for you, I'm curious as to what exactly made it work.  

Message 71 of 129
ACE - Master

Where are you? AT&T is trying to figure out if this is a local or regional service area issue. We have at least two documented issues from MO. Connecting directly to your RG (modem) is called a priority connection (detailed in my Guide, link in my sig) and is used mostly as a troubleshooting method to rule out the router as the cause. There's nothing wrong with leaving your connection that way but the preferred method is behind the router for security reasons. Spoofing your address does work in some cases but the MicroCell will periodically confirm the physical location of the MicorCell via GPS or a local macrocell (tower), if one is available, during the night time maintenance window so don't be surprised if one morning you wake up witha blinking green 3G light. AT&T is aware of the locational issues and is trying to resolve it.

Do us a favor and send a PM to CustomerCare (link in my sig) detailing your issue, your account information, what you have done to correct it, and most importantly, your location. Also include an alternate way for AT&T to contact you if you don't want to be contacted here via PM.

Message 72 of 129
Teacher

gilmoregirl Im so glad to hear you got it back up and running. I gave your method a try, but no such luck just yet. Smiley Sad

Message 73 of 129
ACE - Master

@ Cyunide - thanks for the kind words. I didn't see your post this morning above or I would have acknowledged your compliment sooner. Yeah, being a volunteer sometimes sucks Smiley Sad so your comment makes it worthwhile. I still haven't heard back from AT&T yet but as soon as I do.....

Message 74 of 129
ACE - Professor

@ Otto - Item of note:  In the interest of clarity, I think it important to not refer to a RG (residential gateway) as a modem.  A RG is a combination of a modem and a router.

Connecting a Mcell to a RG is not a priority connection (actually called "Alternate Connection" in the User Guide).  You aren't really bypassing the router in a troubleshooting effort as it would be if your router and modem were two separate entities and you were connecting your Mcell directly to the modem, bypassing the router.

Not trying to stir things up but I think it's necessary to make sure people who post here don't get confused.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Message 75 of 129
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support