For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
Peckmom3's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, March 4th, 2014 10:30 PM

Microcell says address is wrong on GPS!! HELP!

Okay, a week ago the 3G light on my microcell started flashing green so I did what I always do when that happens- I rebooted it. A few minutes later the 3G light was blinking red and I got a text message from AT&T saying: 

ERROR 102- The registered address does not match the actual device location.

and an email reading:

There was an error activating your 3G MicroCell. The address you entered during online activation does not match the GPS information provided by the MicroCell.

So I called AT&T and they waked me through several rounds of unplugging, reregistering, etc. All those attempts failed and they mailed me a new microcell. Well the new one arrived the next day and after registering it and making sure that all information was correct, I plugged it it and got the same result. The top 4 lights solid green with the bottom 3G light blinking red and I got the same text message and email. 

I've been on the phone with AT&T every single day since and no one can help me with this problem. I get ZERO cell service at my house without this microcell so this is a real problem. Nothing on my end has changed- same internet service, same location of microcell in the house- right in a window- same everything. This issue was sudden and unexpected because one minute it was working fine and the next minute nothing. 

Any help would be so appreciated! Thanks.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I am in north Georgia.  Thanks for your help!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I'm just trying to rule everything out, and keep it all straight between you and the other 5 or 6 I'm trying to help (as well as Avedis53).

I'm thinking that the 3G light going red initially was the MicroCell getting confused on the GPS/physical address and just "broke" for want of a better term. Blinking green 3G light probably means that "half" of the verification went thru then the system just hangs during the matching phase.

Try putting in your neighbor's address, or did we try that already, and see if that works. That may give you temporary service until AT&T can figure this out.

I do believe that there is a glitch somewhere in the verification system and AT&T's IT folks are going to have to isolate and fix. All I can tell you is that AT&T is KEENLY aware of this and is scrambling to get a fix but obviously not fast enough.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks. I've notified the Admins so they are aware of you. I do believe that there is something amiss with the validation/verification system in that the GPS coordinates confirm that you are in a MicroCell Service Area but when the system goes to match that with what's in the database for your physical address, the system hangs, hence the blinking green 3G light. The fix will probably have to come from AT&T's IT department and unfortunately that's going take time to isolate, fix, and make sure it doesn't break again. That's about all I'm allowed to tell you right so just hang in there.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I was getting the same error when I tried to activate mine for first time. I also have a neighbor that lives about 1/4 mile away that uses a microcell. I added that to my address list and about 10 mins later got a text saying it was good to go.
I had also tried some addresses closer to me but they never worked.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

@ Otto - another example of AT&T's borked activation/GPS reconciliation problem.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Will also add my 3g bars never went solid red. They would always be blinking green during the process and then change to blinking red about 10 mins later when thing failed with that error

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Avedis53 wrote:

@ Otto - another example of AT&T's borked activation/GPS reconciliation problem.

Yep. I'm on it Chief. You should see the list I've accumulated for the Admin. Wish I could go into detail but suffice it to say that AT&T is not happy and is really working on a resolution.

Trying to get me to use "borked" again are ya?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I have had the same issue since 3/13/14. I've talked with numerous customer support reps. I am in ROLLA, MO, my ISP is CenturyLink. We've had this 3g microcell since late Dec 2013. On 3/13/14, when I received a call back, the rep that called me stated this: Known issue that they're working with internet providers to resolve the issue and suggest power cycle of the 3G microcell every 24 hrs. No ETA on when this issue will get resolved. It's a problem on their side and the internet service providers. Having said that, I've been power cycling the 3g unit at least once a day, sometimes, more. I was not home yesterday, or I would have called. I called again today, and the rep found out the following: - my address was my mailing address, not my physical location so when the rep deactivated / reactivated the physical location was not correct. - today's rep put in the correct location and started the process over - yet again along with pressing the hard reset button and power cycling my computer 2-wire modem AND the 3g unit. I still get a blinking RED 3g set of lights, but the top 3 lights (power, ethernet, and gps) are solid green. I am frustrated beyond belief with not having the 3g working. I am in a rural area and things were fine until 3/13. I added to this post hoping it will help to get this resolved. I like the 3g -- when it works -- and I get frustrated with no calls, no texts (or 3 hrs to a day later to get a text). Annoying is not even close to how this feels - frustrated, and I feel I have no recourse. I would LOVE clear updates. I'm a technical person and understand VoIP, etc, but I don't like it when things cannot be resolved in a timely manner. On the activation in progress window it shows this error: FTC232: Your MicroCell was unable to obtain a GPS signal to report its position. Please attempt to move your MicroCell within 3 feet of a window with a clear, unobstructed view of the sky. Once you have moved the device, wait 60 minutes for your GPS light to turn solid green. In rare instances it may take up to 24 hours. If the problem persists after 24 hours, please call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500. on the page to manage my unit is says: FTC224: Your MicroCell was unable to obtain a GPS signal to report its position. Please attempt to move your MicroCell within 3 feet of a window with a clear, unobstructed view of the sky. Once you have moved the device, wait 60 minutes for your GPS light to turn solid green. In rare instances it may take up to 24 hours. If the problem persists, please call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500. I just want this fixed. What is the issue?? What is the ETA, etc.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Rural areas are difficult at times because  the physical address of the house is not in the current locational database. That being said, you had service before with no issues so your address was fine. This seems to be isolated west of the Rockies because we aren't having these issues on the West Coast (Wash. to Calif.), or at least none have been reported. My feeling is that something happend to the AT&T locational database and it's taking AT&T's IT Department longer to isolate and repair than expected.

Support is very much aware of this because I've been working with them on a daily basis and believe me, they want to get this resolved as soon as possible but the machine moves slowly. That doesn't help you or the others affected but they are trying to get it fixed asap. Please send a PM to CustomerCare (link in my sig) with all of your details, and location. I will forward your post to the Admins as well so we can sort of take a two-pronged approach at this. All I can say (or am allowed to say) is hang in there. AT&T really is working on this.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

Well AT&T merged my topic and now its almost impossible to follow you thanks to them. We've got like 5 conversations merged into one topic. Brilliant 😕 What else would I expect from AT&T. 😞

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.