What is happening with 3G?
Peckmom3's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, March 4th, 2014 10:30 PM

Microcell says address is wrong on GPS!! HELP!

Okay, a week ago the 3G light on my microcell started flashing green so I did what I always do when that happens- I rebooted it. A few minutes later the 3G light was blinking red and I got a text message from AT&T saying: 

ERROR 102- The registered address does not match the actual device location.

and an email reading:

There was an error activating your 3G MicroCell. The address you entered during online activation does not match the GPS information provided by the MicroCell.

So I called AT&T and they waked me through several rounds of unplugging, reregistering, etc. All those attempts failed and they mailed me a new microcell. Well the new one arrived the next day and after registering it and making sure that all information was correct, I plugged it it and got the same result. The top 4 lights solid green with the bottom 3G light blinking red and I got the same text message and email. 

I've been on the phone with AT&T every single day since and no one can help me with this problem. I get ZERO cell service at my house without this microcell so this is a real problem. Nothing on my end has changed- same internet service, same location of microcell in the house- right in a window- same everything. This issue was sudden and unexpected because one minute it was working fine and the next minute nothing. 

Any help would be so appreciated! Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I'm still working with the Admins on the activation issue so as soon as I hear anything, I'll post it.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

Couldnt have said it better myself! AT&T refuses to admit fault and only gives vague and generic answers. They are "looking into it" or are "researching the problem" etc. but nothing actually real. No light at the end of the tunnel either. Just a faint hope that one day we will wake up to working microcells. I again took my microcell to my neighbors house down the road less than 1/4 mile and it WORKED! Activated and everything. We even changed some addresses and such and it worked like a charm. He also has a microcell and hasnt had any problems. Ive checked, checked, rechecked, and checked again my connections and such, there is simply nothing that I can see to do to fix it. I have a Linksys EA3500 router, not sure if that would help anything, but its more information. And Im sorry, but I have got to say that the service is just TERRIBLE! Well I send them a PM and much like the reps that I talk to when I call in they all tell me they are going to call me sometime the next day or whatever... I usually end up getting a voicemail from them because... DUH I didnt have service when they called! And of course WE CANNOT CALL THEM BACK! WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!? Our only option is to call the regular tech support number, get some fresh out of training employee, explain our situation for the umpteenth time, only to have this newbie employee ask us "Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?" I know, I know they have a script, etc. but still there should clearly be a way for us to call the backend people back. Perhaps like paypal does with a temporary code you must have to get through their automated system. Because yes, I can forsee the problems if they just opened up their higher level tech support numbers to the public. Not to mention it takes customercare about 8-14 hours to even read my message. AT&T you clearly have a case of failure on YOUR network. We all know about it, it has become obvious. I do understand things take time and such, but just hoping that by dumb luck I have service (and time to talk) when they call in this 24-48 hour window is just sub-par.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Your message has been copied and pasted in it's entirety and sent to the Admins.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks Otto 🙂 Glad to see you again. When I brought it back from my neighbors I just plugged it in here... Well it didnt go red it just flashes green (3G Light). Not sure if that is an improvement or not but at least its different lol! I was hoping that it would flash and I could still use it, no such luck 😞

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I am also having the same problem.  The Microcell has not worked for a couple days. I've had the Microcell for a few years with no problems with it before.  I called ATT today and they walked through some unplugging etc. and then said he would re-enter everything and it should be activated in 90 minutes.

I got the email a bit ago saying the address does not match the GPS location and it could not be activated.  I also do not have any cell phone service at my home and really need that Microcell.

I saw in this thread it was suggested to PM customer service so I went ahead and did that.  My internet is TDS Telecom.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

What went red? The power light initially?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Where are you located? The Admins are keenly aware of this because I've been keeping them in the loop. The idea is that if engineering/support not only hears about this from the customers but are also hearing it from within AT&T that they will work harder at trying to figure out what is going on. This appears to be a regional issue because we haven't seen any reports, yet, on the West Coast so I'm not sure what that means. My MicroCell is going on three years and hasn't missed a beat.

I will update everyone when, and if, I hear anything. You did the right thing by pm'ing CustomerCare. That is usually a quicker and more efficient way of getting someone higher up the support chain to look at your issue. Do keep in mind though that the more "written" complaints CustomerCare gets, the response may be a bit slower due to the volume.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

No my 3G light that usually goes red stayed flashing green. Like I said to test I took it to my neighbors again and activated it. Shortly after I posted AT&T called me and said they saw I was connected and "no longer affected by the outage" sadly I had to inform them that I had taken it to the neighbors where it originally worked. So when I brought it home, I did NOT do the activation process or anything, I just plugged it up. Well now, rather than 3G light going red like it used to, it just flashes green. The rep told me this is because the Microcell "cannot connect back to their servers". Ive power cycled the router, modem, and microcell and still the 3G light continues to flash green. So there has been a change, instead of powering up and starting to go red, the 3G light now just sits there and flashes green. The tech advised me not to do the reactivate online so Im just sitting here looking at it waiting 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

If your 3G light was ever red, that usually indicates a system failure. But, it could also indicate that an update was sent and your MicroCell didn't properly reset itself and it thinks its a system failure. Why that would happen at your house and not  your friend's house is a mystery unless there is something slightly different about your ISP connections or you are in a different Service Area and there is something amiss with your Service Area, either MicroCell or ISP.

RG stands for Residential Gateway (modem) if you're the one who asked.  Trying to keep my help straight between posters Smiley Sad

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

No I didnt ask about the gateway lol. Yes the light went red when this whole thing started months ago. And when it goes red I get the gps error I copy pasted in original post in this thread. The thing is we have use 3 different microcells, all 3 did the identical thing. Red light and GPS error.

I agree it is possible with ISP but that is a big stretch. We have the same ISP and same modem, etc. And we have been in much contact with ISP and they have confirmed everything they could.

I dont know as much as you do, nor can I match you in experience. But there really is only 1 logical explanation here. The coordinates that the microcell reports at my friends house are different than the ones reported at my house (as they should be of course). The system is rejecting my coordinates. That is legit the only thing thats different from my friend's house. I will likely never know how it worked for around 8 months before just going down one day, but it did. And I am just lost. 😞

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.