What is happening with 3G?
Peckmom3's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, March 4th, 2014 10:30 PM

Microcell says address is wrong on GPS!! HELP!

Okay, a week ago the 3G light on my microcell started flashing green so I did what I always do when that happens- I rebooted it. A few minutes later the 3G light was blinking red and I got a text message from AT&T saying: 

ERROR 102- The registered address does not match the actual device location.

and an email reading:

There was an error activating your 3G MicroCell. The address you entered during online activation does not match the GPS information provided by the MicroCell.

So I called AT&T and they waked me through several rounds of unplugging, reregistering, etc. All those attempts failed and they mailed me a new microcell. Well the new one arrived the next day and after registering it and making sure that all information was correct, I plugged it it and got the same result. The top 4 lights solid green with the bottom 3G light blinking red and I got the same text message and email. 

I've been on the phone with AT&T every single day since and no one can help me with this problem. I get ZERO cell service at my house without this microcell so this is a real problem. Nothing on my end has changed- same internet service, same location of microcell in the house- right in a window- same everything. This issue was sudden and unexpected because one minute it was working fine and the next minute nothing. 

Any help would be so appreciated! Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Did you buy the MicroCell new? If not, and you purchased it second hand, then it may not have been properly deactivated by the previous owner. The sn of the MicroCell is tied to your account information, your physical address, and the GPS coordinates. You also need to make sure that the primary phone number is the phone number of the owner of the account.

I'd try a hard reset (holding in the reset button on the back for about 30 seconds while powering up the MicroCell). That usually resets it back to default so when you start the activation process, it goes thru the entire Initial Activation (see my Guide for details, link in my sig). If that doesn't work, try your neighbor's address if they are very close to you.

We need a little more information on where you are, what kind of interent connection you have, who it is, and how you have the MicroCell setup.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

it is second hand but was deactivated by att tech from the person I bought it from. because it wouldnt let me do anything before that was done.

The address I entered in the activation process is the correct address, they had me check that several times.

I hope this dont matter but my billing address for this account is different from the address the microcell is at.

I have read and tried stuff in your guide before signing up on this. But I see others have been helped after several days from your help after i googled this issue.

I have  a DSL connection and its just a local company. speed ranges from 1.5 to 7 but it is usually around 3 or 4 mb

My neighbor that has a microcell is about 300 - 400 yards away from me

I have microcell connected to router then to modem

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Ok I tried the hard reset like you had suggested i have tried doing that several times before but I never did it while powering it up but it made no difference still didnt work.

I was going to use my neighbors address but I was unsure of it so I just made up a address close to what I thought hers was and after about 15 mins i just got a text and email saying it activated and it is showing microcell on my phone now.

Thanks! If it works like that I aint worried about the address being wrong just as long as it works!

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

The fact that your billing address is different that your physical address shouldn't matter.  What matters is that your physical address matches the GPS coordinates that your Mcell sees.

While your Mcell may work now with a fictitious address, what do think is going to happen if you need emergency services and call 911?  The responders will be showing up at the bogus address you entered during the activation process and you may pay the consequences.

If I were you, I'd send a PM to ATTCustomerCare detailing your situation and get it resolved so that your proper physical address works when activating the Mcell.

Don't leave things as they are.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Activation has been odd lately. You're not the first person to report a location issue. For the Initial Activation (which is basically registering your MicroCell account) it's best to have the billing address of the account holder match the GPS coordinates of the MicroCell. That way AT&T knows that your MicroCell is physically located (via GPS) at the same billing address as your account. After that, you can physically move the MicroCell (to your summer home for example), re-register it at the new address and you're good to go because the sn of the MicroCell at the Initial Activation matched the account holders GPS coordinates and billing address.

Using a bogus address does work, as you've seen, but AT&T does periodically check GPS against the account address on file during maintenance cycles, and if they can't reconcile the two, then you'll wake up with a blinking green 3G and when you re-activate, you'll get the address mis-match error again.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I had the same problem all the sudden as well. I've had my microcell for about 2 1/2 years. Same address, its been in the same location, etc. Nothing has changed, same internet provider everything. All the sudden theres a problem with my address? I too have no cell service at my house. We got a microcell and had great service and so we got rid of our house phone. I contacted an At&t rep online and he walked me through all the same steps. Probably set there with him for a good hour or longer. He was very nice, but then and the end his said that he had been talking to his manager and that this has become a more frequent issue. He said at this time he would get back in touch with me on Tues or Wed and hopefully it would be fixed by then. After seeing everyone who has been having this problem it seems pretty doubtful that it will just fix its self. And it doesn't look like a new microcell with be the answer either. Hope the get this figured out soon because I need phone service at my house.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Who is your ISP? I'll mention this to the Admins tomorrow but in the meantime, I'd suggest you PM CustomerCare with your issue, what you have done to try and fix it, your account info and your location. If you were given a ticket number, include that as well.

What was the date that you started having problems?

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

Well like many others here I had a working Microcell until one day the service light (the bars) started to flicker red. Naturally I called AT&T customer service. This all started about 2 months ago now. And I am about to pull my hair out. There has been nothing but trouble since it started. Well first things first, AT&T LOVES to pass the buck and blame ISPs (although I have yet to see anyone on any forum anywhere say "Oh ya it was my ISP") so I called my ISP and even initiated a 3-Way call from AT&T to my ISP and FINALLY AT&T realized that wasn't the problem.

I get the stupid "FTC223: The address entered during online activation does not match the GPS information provided by your MicroCell. Please update “Your 3G MicroCell Device Location Information” section below with the current physical location of your 3G Microcell. If the problem persists, please call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500. " I have called over and over and over, got a tier 2 issue, been called back numerous times by this "backend tech support" only to hear them say they are still working on it. Ive had the device warrantied out a few times, I believe Im on number 3 now. 

This is just horrible. I have almost no service at my house and there is no end in sight to this problem. We have done it all from having me provide coordinates of longitude and latitude through the itouchmap, entered my address in manually (although its only like 1/4 mile off and according to which tech you talk to it gives you 1-3 miles leeway). It is by a window and the GPS light does go solid green. I just have no idea what else to try or do....

BUT WAIT THE PLOT THICKENS! A few weeks back I took my Microcell to my neighbor's house a little ways down the road because he has a microcell as well, plugged it in, and it worked! BEFORE YOU RESPOND PLEASE READ THIS: Me and my neighbor have the SAME plan on the SAME ISP with the SAME identical modem. I even replaced my modem with a new one just to see if that would help, no luck. I have UNPLUGGED the WiFi router just to make sure interference was not happening... Again no luck. Have tested this both in front of the router, behind the router, and with NOTHING else but Modem->Microcell (No router or other devices at all). We have been through the settings numerous times, and the one thing that always gets me is this:  How did it work all along and when nothing changed on my end it stopped working???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

What is a "little ways down the road"? Next door or a mile away? The reason I ask is that you may be in a different MicroCell Service Area and his could be fine but yours may be having issues. Where are you located? I'd like to compile a list of areas that are having activation problems to see if there is a pattern and then send that off to the Admins. I'd suggest PM'ing CustomerCare with your issue, what you have done to correct it, you account information, and location. That is usually better than calling phone support.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

I am located in Poplar Bluff Missouri. 

Sorry I should have included that information, as the crow flies, my neighbor is about 1/4 mile away from my house. I looked on Google Maps and confirmed that as well.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.