What is happening with 3G?
JTLP8183's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, September 25th, 2016 10:27 PM

Microcell power flashing red/green

New black microcell, this is the second unit, as the first never finished a full set up. This unit upon attempting set up is flashing the power light green/red. The ether net is solid green. The GPS and network lights both flashed green a few times and then stopped lighting up at all. Is this 2 duds in a row? Unit is next to a window, away from anything that has a transmitter. 3 hours from the time I plugged it in and it's a clear Sunday evening. How do I fix this?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Did you replace an older white MicroCell with the newer model, and are you using the same ac adapter that came with the white MicroCell? If you are, and AT&T didn't send you a new ac adapter with the DPH-154 (black model), it could be the ac adapter is starting to fail. Check it with a voltmeter. It should read 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load. If it's not, replace the adapter with one of the proper rating. The specs are almost exactly the same but there is a subtle difference. Specs for both adapters are given in my Tech Guide (see link in my sig).

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Not replacing old white model. New to at&t, new black model and using ac
adapter that was shipped with the unit. Would using a surge protector be a
problem?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

I use a surge supressor on mine. I'd remove the surge suprssor and see what happens, or try another oultet. It could be that the outlet is bad. The likelyhood of two, new MicroCells having the same problem is very unlikely, but not impossible I guess.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Moved to a new outlet without a surge protector and the problem persisted.
Reset again and still seeing the same.

I know my WiFi works. I know it has power. I've tried different ports in
the WiFi for the cable and that hasn't worked.

I plug it in, power goes green, but GPS and network flash every few seconds
for a few minutes and then power goes back to red/green flashing. Is there
another reset option or reason it doesn't see my WiFi or GPS signal?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

@JTLP8183 - Forget about WiFi. The MicroCell does not use the WiFi frequencies, it is stictly 3G.

The GPS light will flash green while it is checking location. It will stop flashing green when the check has completed and stay a solid green. That doesn't mean that GPS verification has passed, it just means that it has stopped checking. The 3G light, which is the top light on the black MicroCell (as opposed to the power light, which is the bottom light) will temporarily flash green and then turn a solid green once you have established a connection to the AT&T Mobility servers and activation has completed. If the 3G light is flashing green, then something has hindered your connection to AT&T, an update has failed, or there is a hardware failure. If the 3G light flashes red, GPS verification has failed.

So, which lights exactly are flashing on the black, DPH-154 MicroCell, how do you have it setup, and what kind of internet connection do you have (cable or DSL)?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Can't help but think this is a hardware issue with the Mcell but I would check the AC adapter output with a voltmeter to eliminate it as a potential problem even though you've gone through two Mcells.

If the adapter is putting out the proper voltage, then I'd suspect the Mcell except that your first Mcell would not complete registration, so I also am curious about your ISP connection.  Who is your ISP and what are your subscribed upload and download bandwidths?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.