What is happening with 3G?
TimVi's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, February 13th, 2013 1:41 PM

Microcell only gets power light

Help!

On installation, my Microcell only gets power light on.  AT&T Microcell support has tried to resolve this issue to no avail and sent me 2 more Microcell towers and still only get the power light.  

In Texas with Comcast, my old router, and my 1st Microcell, I had no issues.  We just moved to Deland, FL, Comcast not available so using Brighthouse cable, my old router and my 1st Microcell, only got the power light on the Microcell.  Now with AT&T support, 2 more Microcell towers and a new router, I still only get the power light.

I'll call AT&T again, but doubt they will help.  I've asked for a tech support person to come to my residence, but they say they don't offer that.  

Can anyone here help?  I'm not good with computers, so need very basic instructions.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

First of all, anything bought off of eBay can be suspect. There's a reason why it's being sold. That being said, if only the Power light comes on, and stays on, it's possible that it's the adapter but one would think that if there is enough power for the light to go on, then there's enough power to run the rest of it. Does the adapter feel hot to the touch? That's a relative judgement I know but it should just be warm to the touch. Kind of like when you are recharging something. Try plugging it into another outlet from a different circuit to rule out any sort of power variability.

The MicroCell can not be repaired so if you have a lemon, or bought a defective one, there's not much you can do. As far as others having the same issue with brand new MicroCells (not refurbs) I haven't seen that many reports.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

If the Power light is steady green, I would say that the power supply isn't the problem.  With only the power cable plugged in to the Mcell and the Mcell sitting in a location that allows it to see GPS satellites, the Mcell should show a steady green power light,  steady green GPS light and a flashing 3G light.  Plugging in the Ethernet cable from the router to the Mcell should add a solid green Ethernet light.

The fact that the Mcell did work previously and now just shows a steady green power light only with the Ethernet cable connected to the router from the Mcell would indicate to me the the Mcell has failed.  Since the unit was bought second-hand on eBay, there is no warranty.  I doubt that AT&T will fix Mcells that are off-warranty since all they do is send a refurbished unit for a warranty replacement.  Even if there were a repair option for off-warranty Mcells, it would most likely cost more than buying another one off of eBay.

IMHO, your Mcell is dead and you can buy another unit at a reduced price off of eBay with no warranty or you can buy one from AT&T for $200 and have a one year warranty.  Given that the Mcell's reliability isn't the greatest, you might opt for a warranty if you need one for your home.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

There seems to be two reported issues about this from the Florida area and Houston. It's possible that there could be a routing issue or switch failure somewhere along the way that is causing loss of connection and is sort of "dominoing" thru the system. I've seen this before. What I would suggest doing is calling support or PM CustomerCare (link in my sig), detailing your issue, and supplying your complete account info, including location. The more similar complaints that support gets, with location information, the more apt they are to push it up to the network engineers so they can see if there is a failed upstream switch or router somewhere. However, this is a long shot but you never know.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

I agree that pricklyman should contact CustomerCare for the sake of being thorough, but regardless of any problems that AT&T may have, the fact that his Mcell initially worked for two weeks and now all he sees is a power light tells me that his Mcell is borked.

If the Mcell is connected to the power supply and the Ethernet cable is disconnected, he should still see a steady green power light, a steady green GPS light (assuming a good Mcell location to see the sky) and a flashing green 3G light.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

True. But the MicroCell is a stange beast and anything is possible. On further reflection, the fact that there are two or three reported issues from around Feb. or March, and now one recently makes me think that there is either a bad production run of MicroCell's (if these are new) or these are re-furbed units who have just reached their life expectancy. And yes, at the very lease the ethernet light on the MicroCell should be lit if it detects an open ethernet port.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the input Otto & Avedis53. Since I now only have the power light and I've tried other power supplies and the power supply doesn't get too hot, I'll bite the bullet and go to AT&T and get a warranted unit.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

Good luck pricklyman.  Let us know if you have any issues with your next Mcell.

@Otto - If it came off eBay used, it was most likely an older hardware version.  You have access to information that I don't see.  You must have a separate forum for you ACE types.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

If you get a new one, let us know how it works out.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Interesting....Was the power supply that you measured 40 VDC output on the one that came with the Mcell?  If so, then this would be a good tip to put into the 3G Microcel Technical Guide for Power Light only problems.

As long as the replacement power supply is rated for 12 VDC output with at least 1.25 A, then you should be good to go.

I'm surprised that your Mcell wasn't damaged too.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

The ac adapter specs are listed in the Technical Guide. The MicroCell is specific in its power requirments so it's best to keep as close as possible to what was supplied with your MicroCell. 40 VDC is pretty high. Did you buy the MicroCell from a party other than AT&T? Maybe you were given the wrong adapter.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.