What is happening with 3G?
TimVi's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, February 13th, 2013 1:41 PM

Microcell only gets power light

Help!

On installation, my Microcell only gets power light on.  AT&T Microcell support has tried to resolve this issue to no avail and sent me 2 more Microcell towers and still only get the power light.  

In Texas with Comcast, my old router, and my 1st Microcell, I had no issues.  We just moved to Deland, FL, Comcast not available so using Brighthouse cable, my old router and my 1st Microcell, only got the power light on the Microcell.  Now with AT&T support, 2 more Microcell towers and a new router, I still only get the power light.

I'll call AT&T again, but doubt they will help.  I've asked for a tech support person to come to my residence, but they say they don't offer that.  

Can anyone here help?  I'm not good with computers, so need very basic instructions.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I also had the solid power light. After chat, several resets, multiple  cat5 cord swaps deregister microcell and then unable to reregister, and up next was a trip to buy a new one. I thought I would humor  Test Subject and check the wall wart.

Blammo 38 volts. Found a 12 v replacement in the basement. Plugged it in and it looks like christmas.

Once I registered it  lights began to flash and a couple of minutes later,a  text arrives that announces our ability to use our now connected MicroCell. 4 bars!

Thank you,

Bob

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I went to dust and reconfigure my entertainment center and upon disconnecting the M-cell, I am now having the same issue. Everything was fine but now just the power light. Do not listen to anyone who says that it should be enough power. I used my router power cable on the m-cell and now it works fine!!! It was the cable!!!! I'm assuming it's the cable for everyone that this suddenly started happening to. It's def worth a check to save time and aggravation. The cable will not power up my router. So the cable is sending just enough power to turn the power light on and that's about it. I know it sounds silly, but TRUST ME!!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@dltempler - testing it would be a good idea but from what you’ve said it sounds like it’s the MicroCell. If you want to see if calls can be made/received you’ll have to go to your myAT&T MicroCell Settings page  and change the physical location (address) if changing locations still works. 

Keep in mind that using WiFi-C within range of an active MicroCell that the phone is registered to may result in call quality/connection issues because the phone won’t know which signal to connect to. You’ll need to place the phone in Airplane Mode to disable its cellular radio, remove your phone number from the MicroCell (unless you are the registered owner), or disable the MicroCell.

You can always find used MicroCells on eBay but there are caveats to that (see my MicroCell Tech Guide , link is in my sig line).

Accepted Solution

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I tried hard resetting it multiple times with no luck. I have since made progress though. I was trying to think what is the common denominator, I came to the conclusion that it had to be the power supply, outlet, or power strip. Since I'm a technician I know these type of devices are very sensitive to power. I have since replaced the power supply and plugged the power supply directly into the power outlet ( no power strip, extension cord etc) and the Internet light came on along with the GPS light but.............still no signal / bars light 😞  it just keeps flashing. Does anyone know how long it should take for this stupid thing to connect ? I remember it being a good 15 to 30 minutes a couple of years ago but not 2 hours  right ?!?

Accepted Solution

Tutor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I had this problem and just figured it out.  The power supply (the thing you plug in the wall) might be bad.  Mine was 40 volts and should have been 12V.  You can check this out with a volt meter.  If it is 40V like mine, you can replace it with one (like I had laying around) or buy a new one at Radio Shack.  Anyway, mine was not damaged and worked correctly as soon as I fixed the voltage problem (amazing that it was not damaged).

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

I'm surprised that AT&T didn't mention ConnecTech. They used to send a technician to your house, at a cost to  you, for troubleshooting and setup of their equipment. Maybe they've changed their service offerings.

If the only green light you get is the power light, then there is obviously no internet connection or GPS lock, which would result in no 3G light as well. Let's start with the basics. Is the MicroCell within 18" of a window with an unobstructed view of the sky? Is it at least 2' away from any WiFi source? Are  your ethenet cables in good condition and firmly in place? Is your internet service ok? If the answer to all of those is yes, then we can move on.

Try priority setup: modem -> MicroCell -> router. That connects the MicroCell directly to the internet without having to go thru the router which takes the router out of the chain. Does the MicroCell activation page have your correct information (address, phone number of the account holder, serial number of the MicroCell you are currently using)? Does the MicroCell unit rattle if you shake it GENTLY? There are tamper-proof clips inside the MicroCell and if it gets knocked over (the cat knocked it over Smiley Happy) or if someone has attempted to open it up, the clips will come loose and render the MicroCell useless. What are your internet speeds?

The thing that bothers me is that you should at least get the internet light to go green. No internet, no GPS lock, no service.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the reply.  All you suggestions were tried previously and suggested by AT&T.  I ran the Brighthouse Networks Speed Test and got 11 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload.  AT&T is sending my issue up a technical level and may hear from them Monday.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

I would suggest you send a PM to ATTCustomerCare (see the link in my sig) detailing your problem, what you have done, and include your account info. That's supposed to be quicker than going thru phone support and assigns one person to your issue. They are there from M-F, 8-5, CST. Something just doesn't sound right here.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have been having the exact same problem. Do you have any updates on how to fix this? Thanks!!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

Only the Power Light is solid green, all the other lights are not lit? Is that correct? We need a little more info: is this a new MicroCell or one purchasd off of eBay? Did it ever work? How do you have it setup (see the MicroCell Troubleshooing guide link in my sig)? ISP? Speeds? etc.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.