Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Microcell not working - GPS and 3G lights blinking/flashing green simultaneously constantly

Teacher

Microcell not working - GPS and 3G lights blinking/flashing green simultaneously constantly

When I plug in my microcell, the Power button is green and stays on....however, the GPS light and 3G light blink/flash green simultaneously constantly.   I have tried performing a hard reset on the microcell, but it did not work.   The Ethernet light does not come on at all.   I have U-verse as my internet provider.  I have my Microcell plugged directly into my 5268AC router (AT&T supplied the router).   I followed all the activation steps for the microcell and the AT&T microcell activation page is showing the very first step (Activation) to still be pending.   Please help.

Thank you

Message 1 of 49
Contributor

Re: Microcell not working - GPS and 3G lights blinking/flashing green simultaneously constantly

I'm getting messages from 32099 at early morning hours saying hi babe.. How can I find out owner 

Message 31 of 49
ACE - Professor

Re: Microcell not working - GPS and 3G lights blinking/flashing green simultaneously constantly

Your question has nothing to do with a Microcell.  Regardless, there are websites that let you query CSC's, (SMS short codes) to determine the owner.  I tried 3 different websites and that code is either registered or not, depending on which site you use so those won't be of any help to you.

You can ignore the short code text message or you can text "Help" to 32099 to get more information which I think would be pointless.  You can also text back the word "Stop", "Quit", "Cancel", "Unsubscribe", or "End" to 32099.  In the US, it is required that one of those keywords remove a user from the campaign sending the messages.

Me?  I'd ignore the text message.....

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 49
ACE - Expert

@Baywatch74 - spam/phishing. Just ignore and don't reply.

MicroCell Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 49
Contributor

I can't find my phone but I  do have the serial number can you track it and find it for me ?

Message 34 of 49
ACE - Professor

This is the Microcell forum, but it's my understanding that no one can track a phone by just its serial number.  Unless you have a GPS tracking app on the phone that is operational (ie. Find My iPhone), you are out of luck.

Message 35 of 49
ACE - Expert

Actually a phone can be tracked by its IMEI number (which can be used to track or block phones) but the carrier needs to have a very good reason to attempt to find, or track, a phone via its IMEI number. Being lost is I'm sure not one of them.

Message 36 of 49
ACE - Professor

I was excluding law enforcement tracking since the phone wasn't stolen (I assume).  The carrier won't track the phone unless a law enforcement agency gets involved.  That requires the phone's owner to file a complaint with a law enforcement agency, who in turn requests the carrier to track the phone.  Of course, if the phone is turned off or the battery has died, no one can find it.

If you lose a phone, you should contact your carrier with the serial number, IMEI number and IMSI number (should keep these numbers in a safe place) and report it missing.  They can blacklist it so no one else can use it.

Message 37 of 49
Contributor

How long does it take to blacklist?

Message 38 of 49
ACE - Sage

How do we have these unrelated posts?   

Blacklist is immediate.  But unless someone uses the phone on cellular it wouldn’t show. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 39 of 49
ACE - Expert

@lizdance40 - that is a very good question. At first it appears that someone accidentally posts to the wrong forum but then another seemingly un-related post appears. I've already re-directed another post to the appropriate forum but it seems to be happening more and more often.

Message 40 of 49
ACE - Sage

@OttoPylot

Its not like the title isn’t clear.... microcell doesn’t look anything like ‘short code’ or ’i lost my phone’.  

But then again, the forum has been REEEEEALLY weird 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 41 of 49
ACE - Expert

@lizdance40 - yep. Weird is the right word for it.

Message 42 of 49

OttoPylot you have just revealed something shocking.  I have several clients who have fairly recently purchased MicroCells (at their local AT&T store, I might add) and they have been a Godsend as regards them being able to use their AT&T mobile phones in there houses (where they had virtually no mobile service whatsoever previously).  Why on Earth are they discontinuing such an apparently valuable device and service?  And will they be giving plenty of advance notice to the many users of the MicroCell before they pull the plug on them?  And finally, what exactly is WiFi-C and do all (modern) mobile phones have that capability?  And what if there's spotty or inadequate WiFi in someone's home?  Would that not negate the WiFi-C phone's capability to connect, absent the MicroCell device?  If you could point me to any websites or articles regarding this (MicroCell's pending demise and the "utility" of WiFi-C) I would appreciate it.  I still can't believe they're deep-sixing the MicroCell, arguable one of the best innovations that AT&T ever came up with...

Message 43 of 49
ACE - Expert

@Travis_Lloyd - AT&T quietly announced last year that the MicroCell would be discontinued at the end of the year (2017), which it was. They stopped selling them thru the AT&T website shortly before that. The only way, at that point in time, to get the newer DPH-154 (black model) was to purchase them from a corporate store as long as their inventory lasted. After that, eBay or Craig's List are your only options. AT&T says they will continue support thru this year but that is going to be spotty at best. What they will try to do is steer you towards WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) which is what we recommend as well because call quality and reliability is much better, and it is free as well provided you have a postpaid AT&T cellular account (the same requirement as the MicroCell). My guess is that AT&T will eventually stop the MicroCell altogether, sometime around the end of this year. It doesn't make sense for them support the backend if they don't support or offer the product anymore. Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint still offer their femtocells, and some have been upgraded to 4G as well, but AT&T chose to discontinue theirs for reasons known only to them. My guess is that it would be cheaper in the long run to offer WiFI-C, and improve on it, than to keep supporting the MicroCell which was having more and more issues with the ISPs, newer hardware, and getting the approval for 4G or 4G LTE.

WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is a feature that was first offered with the iPhone (models SE and above) on the AT&T network. It took about a year or so for it to be offered on some Android devices due to technical challenges but now all four major carriers offer WiFi-C for some of their branded phones (at least I think all four do). You sill need to have a postpaid account to access the WiFi-C option on the AT&T network but there is no additional cost to use it. WiFI-C works very well and is only subject to the same issues that affects WiFi in general. However, if you don't have a robust WiFi connection, or have lots of users sharing the same connection, you can have issues.

As far as advanced notice for the final demise of the MicroCell, I don't know how clear AT&T will make that. If I find out a time frame, and are allowed to publicly announce that, I will. However, that is why I and others are pushing so hard to get customer's to start planning now for the end because it won't be an " on today and off tomorrow" type of thing. They will probably start killing it off region-wide so it may take some time to go thru the system, which means folks will start losing connectivity and flood AT&T support with questions. At that point in time, your only options are to upgrade your phone to WiFi-C if it is not capable (which means purchasing a new phone), look into cellular boosters (which I am working on a Guide for that), or switch to a carrier that offers better coverage.

Message 44 of 49

@OttoPylot Thanks so much for that update.  I hope to Heck AT&T has the decency to inform its MicroCell customers before they "pull the plug"; those things weren't cheap and I wonder how many people would've bought them in 2017 if they knew what was on the horizon?  Plus, they need to inform people of how to transition over to WiFi-C as a replacement; I seriously doubt this is common knowledge among the "MicroCell crowd" if nobody's ever mentioned it to them.  From what you said, I take it that if they have purchased a new AT&T-branded phone (iPhone or Android) in the last year or so they should be okay for WiFi-C then?  All of the folks I spoke of are U-verse customers and have pretty decent Wi-Fi in their homes, so you predict they should have no major problems with WiFi-C?

Message 45 of 49
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support