What is happening with 3G?
gn87man's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Sunday, January 7th, 2018 8:28 AM

Closed

Microcell not working - GPS and 3G lights blinking/flashing green simultaneously constantly

When I plug in my microcell, the Power button is green and stays on....however, the GPS light and 3G light blink/flash green simultaneously constantly.   I have tried performing a hard reset on the microcell, but it did not work.   The Ethernet light does not come on at all.   I have U-verse as my internet provider.  I have my Microcell plugged directly into my 5268AC router (AT&T supplied the router).   I followed all the activation steps for the microcell and the AT&T microcell activation page is showing the very first step (Activation) to still be pending.   Please help.

Thank you

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@gn87man - if the ethernet light does not turn green almost immediately, then the Arris gateway is not seeing the MicroCell. Did you purchase the MicroCell used because AT&T has discontinued the MicroCell and is not selling them anymore. If you purchase used, it could be the ac adapter failing. In which case you can check it with a voltmeter. It should read 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load. If not, replace the adapter with one of the same rating that you know is delivering the correct no-load voltage and see if that works. If that doesn't work, either the MicroCell is dead (they can not be repaired) or it is a setting with the Arris gateway. We have seen lots of issues with the Arris gateways in the past so what you will need to do is check the settings to make sure that ALL of the minimum router requirements are being met and given that the Arris is also capable of VoIP, you need make sure that any specific protocol related to VoIP (like SIP ALG) are disabled. We can't help you with that and I'm not sure if AT&T will help with the configuration as well. The U-verse folks haven't a clue as to how the MicroCell works and the Mobility folks are the same with U-verse. The first think you need to do is find out why the Arris is not seeing the MicroCell (ethernet light flashing green). Once you correct that (gateway setting, failing adapter, failing MicroCell, etc) we can work on the other. No ethernet connection will result in no GPS and no 3G.

Do not use any switches etc between the MicroCell and the gateway. You connection should be a simple as possible which is a single ethernet cable from the MicroCell to the gateway.

Being as AT&T has discontinued the MicroCell, and Support will be less likely to seriously help you, you should consider WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if your phone is capable of that. WiFi-C is the preferred method for making/receiving cellular calls when in-home coverage is spotty at best. You will still need a post paid AT&T cellular account to use WiFi-C just like you do for the MicroCell.

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

2.7K Messages

2 years ago

Hi all,

We see this thread is getting a lot views and wanted to let everyone know that the microcells will no longer work with AT&T due to the 3G Sunset. This means any 3G device you have will not work on AT&T's network. 

To resolve this, customers will need to get a 4G or 5G device or have a compatible non-branded device

If service is an issue where you live and using a Microcell was needed, consider using:

Both require an internet connection. 

Also, some issues related to the home environment can cause low signal. Our Home and Signal Loss article will explain this in more detail. 

AT&T Community Team

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

@OttoPylot - Thank you very much for the helpful feedback.  I purchased the Microcell used.   I have checked the AC Adapter and it checked out ok.   However, I borrowed a friend's Microcell today, registered it to my account and hooked it to my router.   All lights on his Microcell came on just fine.   I then hooked up my Microcell to my friend's router and my Microcell did the exact same thing as when it was hooked up to my router (3G and GPS lights constantly flashing).  This tells me that my Microcell has gone bad and I will be tossing it in the trash.   Again, thank you for all the helpful advice.   I really appreciate it!   Hope you have a great day!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@gn87man - sorry to hear that you purchased a borked MicroCell. At least you found a resolution to your problem without too much stress and hassle. Seriously consider switching to WiFi-C because AT&T will eventually pull the plug on MicroCell's ability to  connect to the mobility servers so nobody's MicroCell will work and support will be of no use at all, other than suggesting you upgrade your phone(s) to one that is WiFi-C capable. You'll still need a post paid AT&T cellular account though. Pre paid plans currently are not able to take advantage of WiFi-C.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

@OttoPylot - Thank you for the kind words.  Yes, it was a bummer to find out that I purchased a faulty Microcell.  I have been using the Wi-Fi calling feature on my phones, but it does not seem to work as well as the Microcell.   When using Wi-Fi calling, at least half the time, the person on the other end of the line tells me that I sound muffled and they can barely understand me.  It is so frustrating.  With the Microcell, I hardly ever have diminished call quality.   I believe my router is not strong enough to broadcast the signal across my house.   Is there a device I can purchase that will increase the signal from my Arris router throughout my home so I get a better Wi-Fi signal on the opposite side of my home from my router?   Thanks so much!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@gn87man - when using WiFi-C within range of a MicroCell that the phone is registered too, we recommend either disabling the MicroCell altogether or enabling Airplane Mode on your phone to disable the phone's cellular radio. The phone has a tendency to preferentially connect to the MicroCell's 3G signal instead of your WiFi signal. Disable the power to the MicroCell and see if WiFi-C works better. As far as boosting your WiFi, I would suggest disabling the WiFi on the Arris and purchase a Mesh WiFi system (Orbi, Veelop, Eero). They work very well and have a great range and speed. We have seen all kinds of issues with Arris routers/gateways.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

The OP should also run a VOIP test to check the quality of their ISP connection as outlined in the Tech Guide.  The symptoms described suggests excessive packet loss and/or jitter.  Also, if that Arris Pace 5268ac gateway is anything like the older Pace products that AT&T used for DSL subscribers, that could be an issue too.

I would first make sure my ISP line quality is adequate for VOIP before buying anything.  If it tests OK, then proceed with the next troubleshooting step.  If I were going to add a mesh network, I'd bridge the gateway and let the mesh router handle the DHCP duties.  Definitely turn off the WiFi on the Pace too.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@Avedis53 - I agree with all that.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

@OttoPylot - Thank you.   I have tried disconnecting the Microcell completely and using only Wi-Fi.   However, I am still getting spotty service (weak Wi-Fi signal) on the other side of my home.   I will look into getting a mesh Wi-Fi system, but only after confirming that I have good VOIP service using the test that @Avedis53 mentioned.   Thanks again and take care.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

@Avedis53 - thanks so much for the helpful information.   I will do the test as you mentioned and see if the VOIP quality is good.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.