What is happening with 3G?
gn87man's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Sunday, January 7th, 2018 8:28 AM

Closed

Microcell not working - GPS and 3G lights blinking/flashing green simultaneously constantly

When I plug in my microcell, the Power button is green and stays on....however, the GPS light and 3G light blink/flash green simultaneously constantly.   I have tried performing a hard reset on the microcell, but it did not work.   The Ethernet light does not come on at all.   I have U-verse as my internet provider.  I have my Microcell plugged directly into my 5268AC router (AT&T supplied the router).   I followed all the activation steps for the microcell and the AT&T microcell activation page is showing the very first step (Activation) to still be pending.   Please help.

Thank you

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

@OttoPylot & @Avedis53 - I went to the following site http://voiptest.8x8.com and input the correct information into the boxes (VOIP Lines:1,  Test Length: 15 sec ,  Codec: G.711)  and clicked the "Apply and Test" button, but the site just sits there and does nothing.   Please advise.  Thank you.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@gn87man - after clicking on Apply and Test you need to go to the bottom of the page and click on Use Java. If you don't have the current version of Java, you'll be asked if you want to install it. I just tried it and it works fine.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

@OttoPylot - which browser are you using to access the http://voiptest.8x8.com website?   I tried Chrome and Firefox, but it seems that Java is no longer supported on these two browsers.  I have Windows 10 and I cannot find an Internet Explorer download for Windows 10.   From my research, Internet Explorer is the only browser that supports Java currently.   Please advise.   Thank you.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

Using Windows 10, after opening it's browser (Edge), you will see in the upper left hand corner below the "X" for closing the browser, three dots.  Click on that to open the pull-down menu.  Go down to "Open with Internet Explorer".  Click on that.  A new window will open using Internet Explorer.  Using that browser, you will be able to access and run the Java script for the VOIP test.  Use 60 seconds instead of 15.

We will need to see the test results posted here.  After clicking "Apply and Test", you will need to click on the "Click to start test" button in the test graph.  After the test is completed, click on the "Advanced" tab and the advanced statistics will be shown.  In the bottom right-hand corner there is a button labelled "View Text".  Click on that and then copy and paste the results in your post.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@gn87man - I use Safari on my MacBook Air and it works just fine. Please follow @Avedis53 suggestion and see what happens.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

@Avedis53 - Thank you so much!  It worked!   Please advise.   🙂

Here are my results:

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6993 kbps
Upload speed: 4415 kbps
Download consistency of service: 42 %
Upload consistency of service: 21 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 540 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 70 ms
Average round trip time to server: 72 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 19472 kbps
Route concurrency: 2.7842932
Download TCP forced idle: 63 %
Maximum route speed: 7489 kbps

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 33.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 27.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 6.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.3

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

@OttoPylot - Thank you so much for your help.   I just ran the VOIP test successfully and posted the results.   See my previous post.  Please advise.   

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

I'd run a few more tests during the day and evening to verify how consistent these result are.  However, what results you've posted are not good.  Your Maximum TCP delay is 540 msec, which is extremely high.  Your incoming and outgoing jitter are high enough to cause dropouts and voice garbling as is your packet delay.  No wonder your Mcell doesn't connect properly.  Keep in mind that the results are an average over the test period of 60 seconds.  Jitter can be positive or negative so the average is usually lower than the instantaneous values.  With your jitter running around 30 msec, these instantaneous values can be 4-5 times greater than the average.  Acceptable jitter should be less than 5 msec for good VOIP communication.  Your packet delay of 6% is ridiculously high also.

This appears to me to be an ISP issue.  You will need to contact your ISP and tell them that you have extremely high jitter and packet delays.  Until this is resolved, I don't think your Mcell or WiFi Calling for that matter, will function properly.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

Here are results that I ran on my connection.  I have Charter cable internet with 60/5 subscribed bandwidth.  You can see the difference in the variables that I pointed out in your results vs. mine. 

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 10824 kbps
Upload speed: 5757 kbps
Download consistency of service: 89 %
Upload consistency of service: 99 %
Maximum TCP delay: 42 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 47 ms
Average round trip time to server: 47 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 53490 kbps
Route concurrency: 4.9417925
Download TCP forced idle: 80 %
Maximum route speed: 11154 kbps

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.2 ms
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

General information
-------------------
IP address: 66.190.244.112
Local time: Jan 10, 2018 9:39:54 AM
Test server: http://192.84.16.30:82/

Regarding instantaneous values vs. their averages, when I click on the "Graphs" tab in the VOIP test results and look at my jitter, even though the average is 0.6/0.2 msec, I see spikes as low as -1 msec and as high as +4 msec.  While those are still within the acceptable range for jitter, you can see how much greater the instantaneous values are over the average.  With your jitters averages running about 30 msec, which is already well beyond acceptable values, your instantaneous values are probably running 150 msec or greater.  Again, remember that jitter can be negative or positive.

As I stated previously, until your ISP can resolve your internet connection quality issue, neither the Mcell or WiFi Calling will function to your satisfaction.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

@Avedis53 - Thank you so much for the helpful information.

I just ran another test (2:30 PM Central Time) and here are the results, which are better than those posted from late last night:

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 7125 kbps
Upload speed: 4529 kbps
Download consistency of service: 70 %
Upload consistency of service: 60 %
Maximum TCP delay: 114 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 74 ms
Average round trip time to server: 84 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 20912 kbps
Route concurrency: 2.9348166
Download TCP forced idle: 70 %
Maximum route speed: --

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 4.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 6.2 ms
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.