What is happening with 3G?
aussieone's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, March 5th, 2018 10:02 PM

Microcell no longer working, question about Wi-Fi calling vs New Microcell

Our Microcell Tower (Cisco black) recently stopped working -- have tried every trick in the book (read that as reset the network multiple times, router multiple times, Microcell multiple times, etc.). The bottom 3 lights show up green, the top network indicator continues to blink green no matter what we've tried. We are in a "hole" so to speak for cell service -- without the tower, we run into the 1-2 bars and drop calls. With the Microcell we never had any issues. I've seen talk about the WiFi calling -- our internet is rock solid (high speed with dish pointed directly at their tower a couple of miles away, but it's never been an issue), but in reading this I've seen it stated that the person receiving the call has to be on WiFi as well or it doesn't work? If that's the case, then it's probably NOT going to work for us. Likewise, I've seen multiple references that the Microcell Towers are being discontinued later this year potentially.... unfortunately there are still areas like us where geographically we're in a bit of a hole (hills around us, we sit in a small valley).

Any suggestions or advice regarding the above would be greatly appreciated -- I'm at the point of either confirming WiFi calling WILL work regardless of status of the person on the other end OR purchasing a new Microcell Tower -- I don't mind spending the $$ on a new tower, but hate to do that if (a) it's going away soon and/or (b) WiFi calling will work.

Of course if WiFi isn't really an option, then my next question will be....what happens if the Microcell Tower's are dropped for service and we still have the same connection issues we do now?

Thank you in advance,

Michelle J.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@aussieone - a couple of things. You mention that the "dish" is aimed at the towers. What dish are you referring too? If your internet is via satellite or wireless broadband, then you are lucky that the MicroCell worked at all because it is designed for land-based internet service (DSL, cable, or satellite) only. It can work with satellite internet but can be unreliable to the point that AT&T, and us, will not, and can not support it, and AT&T even states as much in their literature (and I also have it covered in my Tech Guide, the link is in my sig line). An explanation of the light pattern for both MicroCells, the older white model and the newer black model are given my Quick Tips guide as well. If if is the 3G light that is flashing green then you've probably lost connectivity to the AT&T Mobility servers because of the type of internet connection you have. There is nothing that AT&T can do about that because it's your ISP, not the MicroCell per se.

Once the MicroCell is dropped entirely, which it will be, the only options available to you then, if you still have satellite internet, is to either try WiFI-C (if your phone is WiFi-C compatible), purchase a cellular booster, or switch carriers.

The comment about WiFi-C not working if only one of the callers is on WiFi is not true. WiFI-C works just like the MicroCell so calls to anyone anywhere can be made/received as usual. What may be an issue is WiFi-C via satellite.

You can not purchase a new MicroCell from AT&T because they were discontinued the end of last year and AT&T stopped selling them. The only way to get a "new" MicroCell is to find one on eBay or possibly at a corporate store that may still have one in stock.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

OttoPylot
Thank you for the info — it is wireless broadband & that explains exactly what happened. We’ll set up WiFi calling on our phones and I believe that will solve the issue to the best of the abilities for what we have to work with.
Michelle

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@aussieone - I am assuming that WiFi-C will also work with wireless broadband but have not been able to confirm that. It should, but...... Please post back and let us know how it works. Keep in mind that you still need a postpaid AT&T cellular account for WiFi-C, just in case you are thinking on changing.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Nope, absolutely no plans on changing! Been an AT&T customer for a very long time, and this is not anything that would cause me to leave. Unfortunately, the change to Wi-Fi broadband had to do with VPN connection to where I work, and other access not speedy enough to keep connected. Been fortunate casualty and this was our microcell tower, and I never even thought about that. That said, I’ll be happy to post back regarding Wi-Fi calling. Not sure if there’s anything that shows up on my phone that will tell me, other than if I’m showing a single bar for coverage and the call quality is good, that will probably confirm. Thanks again, appreciate the input.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@aussieone - your phone should display the alpha-tag "AT&T Wi-Fi" if you are connecting via WiFi-C. The bars mean nothing but hopefully your WiFi indicator will be full strength. Some phones can handle WiFi-C better than others so let us know and it would be helpful to know what kind of phone you have as well. Just make sure you have the power off to the MicroCell before setting up WiFi-C because your phone will preferentially attempt to connect to the MicroCell's 3G signal and that can cause issues.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

OttoPylot,

iPhone X with IOS 11.2.6 — Ensured Microcell was off, queued up WiFi setting on phone, recycled iPhone off/on and I now have AT&T Wi-Fi showing upper left hand corner and full wireless signal! My hubby will be calling me a bit later so we’ll see how things go. Before I have hubby change over to this as well, could you answer a question: if you turn this on and are somewhere else that picks up WiFi calling, I’m thinking of his tire store, you get a phone call, answer it, and then walk out, get in your vehicle, and basically drive out of WiFi range — I’m making assumption the call may drop as opposed to rolling to cell signal? I just want to make sure I don’t set him up for an unexpected issue — he has an iPhone 8 and we’ll try that on WiFi tonite also!

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@aussieone   The hand off to cellular is not seemless on my android, but I have not dropped calls.  iPhone may handle it better.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@aussieone - I have not experienced any issues at all and I leave WiFi-C, LTE, and WiFi enabled all of the time (WiFi Assist is disabled as it should be) on my iPhone. There is a hand-off issue on all cellular devices depending on whether the call was originated on WiFi or cellular. As @lizdance40 alluded to, some phones handle that better than others depending on the "type" of hand-off, so you may experience an occasional issue from time to time. That's just the nature of the current technology. Basic handing-off is covered in my Tech Guide (see link in my sig line).

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

OttoPylot
Can’t say thank you enough for your time & info tonite!! Greatly appreciated! Will review your info in the hand-off & again, many thanks!!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@aussieone - you're welcome. We just recently moved to a new house and put the MicroCell in with all of the other "lost" electronics and have been using WiFi-C exclusively at home. It works extremely well.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.