What is happening with 3G?
kann's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, January 10th, 2012 10:14 PM

Closed

Microcell issues

I am on my third Microcell...  ANY suggestions to make this thing work would be great !!  It loses its 3g connection everyday... has to be rebooted... has to sit in a window in order to find its GPS signal,  I am on the fastest internet speed, and been to internet service provider twice to check any problems with internet and there are NONE... Tech's have sent "updates" to my microcell, according to reps on phone, and it will work 4 even up to 5 days at one time with NO issues, then will lose it and here we go again.  Everytime AT&T tells me its a faulty box if it wont "keep" the updates... Three microcells later all with same issue.. not buying it... HELP  we have NO service in our home... Either let us out of contract, or fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I registered here just to briefly let anyone know what solved my Microcell problems - same as most of you, unit having to be reset on a daily basis.

I have mine is my recording studio - a while back I did a little rewiring the upshot of which was I was able to power the microcell from my Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS). Previously it had been considered "non-essential" and was just powered off the regular house main power.

Bam - 3 months now without a single reset needed. In my case at lleast it was simply a question of the quality of elecrical power and/or the Microcell's inability to handle all but pristine electricity.

Hope this helps some of ypou.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

Using a UPS is always a good idea, especially if you have, or suspect, power issues. I use an APC BE 550G for my MicroCell, router, and DSL gateway. The MicroCell seems to be particularly sensitive at times to fluctuations in power. We've been doing some remodeling lately and have had the power go off and on for a couple of days while re-wiring was done. The Microcell always came backup within about 8 minutes if the power outage lasted longer than the battery backup. Never any call or connection issues.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Not sure if this topic is still active, but I'm having similar problems with my Microcell.  I've had the Microcell for over 2 years and other then minor outages, I've had great service.  About 2 months ago it started giving me issues, first, for most of the day, and now mainly at night, after 1 in the morning.  In the beginning the tech was finding the "Handout" to be activated, even if it was De-activated it would reactive itself.  Now it's just not giving a signal after about 1 in the morning like the Handout is reactivated but its still showing "De-activated", and my phone searches for and outside tower, which is to far away to give me a working signal, and of course the fun part is about 7am it goes back on and works perfectly as it is now.  Yes, I have gotten a new phone since this started and already returned it to AT&T not to get locked in under a new contract if my only solution is to move to Verizon, they have great service hear, as it use to be, back when it was Singular.  I've also had my internet service check and a new modem installed.  I believe AT&T has done up-grades and it affected my Microcell in a non positive way.  I have received Text message "In Spanish and I'm not and don't speak it" in the past telling me that work is in progress to fix problems with the Microcell, but to date, I can't get anyone at AT&T to update me on what the status is.  Anyone having similar problems or suggestion other then moving to Verizon would be greatlly appericated, Thanks

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

What model is your Microcell? The latest is DPH153-AT. There are many for sale on eBay, but most seem to be model DPH151-AT. You know that the upfront cost of switching carriers can be steep (new phones, activation fees, first month in advance, etc.) There are some DPH153-AT models on eBay, usually in the $100 to $150 price range, occasionally you can find one just below $100. Would it be worthwhile to get a new model vs. chasing your tail trying to fix an outdated one?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for responding, I have to first start by address the cost statement.  I feel that it's a lot more costly to pay a premium price for poor service or sometimes service.  If I'm willing to settle for that I should go to a Discount provider, to save money.  

On the model, yes, I have the older model 151, but old or new, AT&T has checked, and claims it's working perfectly.  Also works perfect most of the day, just looked at it, and it's fine.  But why at around 1 in the morning does the phone search for and outside tower, even if I reset the unit and it goes back to the Microcell, minutes later it again searches for and outside tower.  Also the first month this started happening, the AT&T service rep would find the Hand-out to be activated, and would De-activate it, only to find minutes later it would re-activate again.  I have been notified through AT&T in the past, that they are still addressing problems with the Microcell (in Spanish of course, have to call AT&T to find out what it says) and I feel what they may have come up with as a Fix, is now what's causing my problems, or of something to do with the new 4G network that is going in in my area.  But what ever it is, it seems to be in their program that causes my phone to stop using the Microcell and search for and outside Tower.  

Appreciate you taking the time to talk about it, always good to get other opinions. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

What does the light pattern on the front of the MicroCell indicate? Do you ever see the 3G light blinking green or red, or anyother light? Does your phone indicate "M-Cell" at the top or do you just see the reception signal bars?

If your MicroCell is restarting itself, that forces it to go thru the Activation process which in turns resets to its default status of which Handing Off is one.

When there are updates or maintenance issues done by AT&T, those usually are done during the times of least cell acitivity for you area which is in the early morning hours. If AT&T is indeed updgrading your area to 4G, they may be doing some work on the towers and temporarily shutdown the MicroCell Service Area, which will cause your unit to restart and re- Activate. 4G has no effect on the MicroCell other than upgrading the towers because the MicroCell will only connect at 3G.

Something could have happened to your account if you are receiving messages in Spanish because I've never heard of that. I'd PM CustomerCare (link is in my sig) with your issues, account information, what has been done, and your location.

The model number of the MicroCell may or may not have something to do with your problem. I'm still using one of the first released MicroCells and it has been solid as a rock for the last few years. Buying off of eBay is always a chance because you don't know if the MicroCell has been correctly deactivated by the original owner or if it is damaged in some way. MicroCell's can't be fixed so you need to be careful.

Check the ac adapter and see if it is hot to the touch. It should feel about as warm as the top of the MicroCell does where the circulation vents are. If the adapter feels too warm (subjective), then it could be a failing power supply causing the MicroCell to restart. Make sure there is plenty of ventilation around the adpater and the MicroCell.

The communication between the MicroCell and your cell phone is a constant one while the phone is turned on. Signal strength is critical and if the signal drops below a certain level by either the MicroCell or the phone, the phone will start looking for a stronger signal. There could be something in your area, in your home, in your setup that causes this. Maybe your ISP is doing maintenance and there's a temporary loss of connectivity to the AT&T servers causing a reboot. I'm assuming that the setup hasn't been changed and it correct.

You might want to try a hard reset (holding in the reset button on the back for about 30 seconds). That completely erases the MicroCell settings and causes it to go thru the entire Initial Activation process (see link in my sig to the Guide for detailed information). There may be something in the registers that is not right so resetting may clear it.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Not sure which is the 3G light, but normally it maintenance the standard Green light pattern that it's had since I installed, top 3 lights on, the forth light off, but, looking at it closely, it does have a slight Green blink.  Then the Fifth or bottom light is a solid Green.  Only when the unit goes down for other reasons do I see a Red light.  With all the problems, it still maintenance the standard Green light pattern indicating it's working, weather the phone is connecting or not.

The Phone right now is reading AT&T MicroCell and is working perfectly.

I've never seen the Microcell Restart itself unless done when working with and AT&T rep.

I understand that the updates and maintenance is done at night, when I seem to be having these problem, but AT&T does not seem to know that anything is being done and since it's happening every night, I think we should be notified.  I work at night and this has really effected my business.

I have been contacting AT&T about all the problems, including the Spanish Texts.  But I find 4 out of 5 of their Phone advisor, have no idea of what their talking about, and sometimes you consider yourself lucky to understand what their saying, because their not always speaking a language you can understand easily.

Yes their is work going on in my area and I'm also friends with one of the engineers.  But he tells me on some of my phone problems with AT&T, his father matches me, could be we're just to old to adapt.  But I've had a lot of my problems happen when I'm on the phone with AT&T, so they know they do exist.

Also the Microcell is at what feels like a good operating temperature and so is the Power Pack.

I fought with Comcast for about a year, on what I felt was a low power signal strength, they said it couldn't be and I had a strong signal.  They finally broke down and sent a someone out, he informed me I had less then a 20% signal entering my Condo and found the same on the whole complex.  I now have no problems, took less then a half hour to fix.

I found if you fight with them enough they finally fix the problem, the question is how much longer I'm willing to put up with AT&T, or bite the bullet and move to Verizon.  I've had and AT&T cell phone service since 94 and don't really like changing, but their pushing, wish it was still Singular, didn't need a Microcell.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

The nominal working light pattern, from top to bottom is:

Power, etherent (looks like the world), GPS (looks like a satellite), computer (looks like a computer and should not be lit at all), and then 3G (which looks like signal bars). All of those light should be a solid green all of the time, whether you are using your phone or not. A blinking green 3G light means you have lost connection to the AT&T servers, a blinking green GPS means you have lost satellite lock (which is essential for the MicroCell to work properly), and a blinking green ethernet light means you have lost ethernet connection to your router/gateway.

There is now only one Customer Support division that handles the MicroCell and that is located stateside somewhere (I don't remember the exact state right now). Nothing is farmed out overseas.

If you live in a condo, do you have one ISP that provides service to the entire complex (Comcast?). You internet speeds may be fine but any line noise, taps, etc can affect VOIP. That's especially a problem in large complexes that have a central cable distribution box because the more lines you add, or the more the box is worked on, the more apt you are to develop issues. Adaptability has nothing to do with it unless your central exchange area for the condo is old and hasn't been properly upgraded/maintained by your ISP.

AT&T can determine if you live in a MicroCell Service Area but basically if your MicroCell works, you are in a Service Area. The rest is determined, for the most part, by the quality of your line back to the ISP and then to AT&T's servers.

When our cell service was with Cingular, we had the same poor reception issues that we had with PacBell and now AT&T. Towers are now shared quite often with other providers, especially with 4G/LTE being deployed so that may be why reception/coverage is now an issue for you. Also, new construction (interference), the aiming of the tower beams etc could have changed.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Interesting, lots of little things, but the one thing that makes me question all, is the fact it's now OK during the day time, but turned off at night.  Even if I restart everything I get the Microcell signal on the phone, till I get or make my first phone call and then I loose my signal.  Also it comes right back on again around 7am and normally no more problems till about 1 in the morning.

Looking at the Microcell, what is the Forth light down, the one that looks like a computer?  It seems to have a small blink in the bottom part that looks like it would be the key board?  Could be something I'm seeing from one of the other lights too.

Just for small talk, when I was with the original AT&T, I had a poor signal at my condo, had to walk out in the parking lot to make a decent call.  When Singular took over the signal went up to between 3 and 5 bars.  When the New AT&T came in I dropped to a high of 2 bars to a low of no bars, not even the AT&T logo.  Something had to change in my area, I know just before I was talked into getting the Microcell a new tower was scheduled to be built about 3 miles from me, now no one knows anything about it.  That's the type of things that make you mad, and when someone with a Verizon phone is in my house they have a strong signal, like I use to.  Just in closing, I also notice that when I lost all signal and I'd get a message saying this phone is only for emergency, I'd have 5 solid bars??????

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

The emergency notice is usually reserved when either you don't have an account with the local carrier so you can only use the 9-1-1 or the tower closest to you is down for regular cellular calls.

The MicroCell is a VOIP service so a local tower is not absolutely required for use. I'm assuming your cell phone works just fine when you are outside of MicroCell range.

The computer (keyboard) connection is for use when you are connecting your computer, via ethernet, to the MicroCell. I've never used it (no reason to) so mine is always off (no light at all). Make sure you've connected your MicroCell to the ethernet port which is labeled ethernet and should be the yellow-colored input. Check your cables for loose or frayed wires.

If your loss of connectivity is always between the hours of 1am and 7am that sounds like some sort of maintenance issue or something your ISP is doing. AT&T does push updates in the middle of the night but not that often. They do have maintenance windows based on Service Areas and will check your location by verifying it via your GPS coordinates.

Due to new terriotories being shared/given up, Verizon could now have better mobile coverage than AT&T (maybe that's why there is rumored to be a new AT&T tower going up) in your area. Technologies are different between Verizon (CDMA) and AT&T (GSM).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.