For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
Pastor1890's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, February 15th, 2015 10:11 AM

Microcell has Stopped Working.

My Microcell has stopped working.  The model I have is the older white version.  At present the only light on the device is the power.  No other lights are acrive or flashing. 

Is there a way to determine if the Micorcell is still functional.  My internet is DSL, which is working fine. 

Any help would be greatly apprectited.  I live in an area that only provided 1 bar of coverage and the Microcell is a much needed device.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

If the ethernet, GPS, and 3G light are not lit at all, the MicroCell could've died altogether. Couple of things you can check. I would first check the ethernet cable and make sure it works with another device by plugging something else into the same ethernet port on your router/modem. That rules out the cable. Next, I would check to see if the ac adapter feels hotter than it should. It should be about as warm as the vents on the top of the MicroCell. We have seen all kinds of issues with a bad, or failing power supply. The power light being lit could just indicate that power is getting to the unit but if it's not enough power, nothing else will work. If you want to buy another ac adapter, make sure it is the same power rating and polarity as the one you have.

Has the MicoCell been knocked over so that there is a sight rattling sound on the inside? There are anit-tamper clips on the inside and if they are knocked loose, that renders the MicroCell useless.

Have you moved the MicroCell to a different location so that it doesn't receive GPS? Has anything happend to your ISP (power outage, upgrade, etc)?

What are your DSL speeds? They should be at least 3.0Mbps down and 256kbps up. How many devices do you have on your internet connection?

The MicroCell is a VoIP device so the requirements are different than your internet connection. You can have perfectly fine internet but if something has changed to alter the quality of your line, the MicroCell will have definite issues.

You can also try to power cycle the entire system (MicroCell, router, modem) and see if that shakes any gremlins loose or lastly, you can try a  hard reset on the MicroCell. There is a little reset hole on the back of the unit. Turn off the power to the MicroCell. Get a paperclip and insert it into the hole and press the little button in. While still pressing the reset button, turn the power back on to the MicroCell. Keep holding in the button for about 30 seconds and let the unit go thru the Initial Activation phase and see what happens. That forces the unit back to default status by clearing the memory and all registers.

The fact that you don't have any lights on at all (not even blinking) for ethernet, GPS, and 3G is not a good sign because the MicroCell's cannot be repaired.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Even if the Ethernet cable is bad, if the Mcell was working properly, you should still get a solid green GPS light if it is in the same location as before.  I suspect the AC adapter is bad or the Mcell has failed.

If you have a voltmeter, you can test the output of the original adapter.  It should read approximately 16 VDC (no load output).  If it is faulty, the output will most likely be lower than 16 VDC and when connected to the Mcell, won't provide the proper voltage when connected to the resistive load.

If a new adapter doesn't solve your problem, then I would surmise that your Mcell has failed and you'll have to get another one since as Otto mentioned they are not repairable.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.