For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
Napstebater's profile

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

Wednesday, May 25th, 2016 8:09 PM

Microcell fail to work properly if Router/Switch uses "Green Ethernet"

This is not so much a Question, but a statement.

After fighting with a Microcell for 5 Days and only getting Solid Power, Internet and GPS lights with a flashing Cell light I have found the reason.

The Microcell DPH-154 does not work if the ethernet port its connected to uses Energy Efficient Ethernet/Green Ethernet/802.3az, a lot of devices that have this feature make no mention of it let alone provide a way to disable it.

In my case my Microcell was connected to a Netgear GS724Tv4 with it enabled, luckily I can disable it on a per port bases but most users do not have that luxury.

Bottom line this needs to be fixed in firmware if possible.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

The MicroCell needs to maintain a 24x7 secure VPN to the AT&T Mobility Servers. Any interruption in that connection and the MicroCell will need a restart. If you can port forward the required ports (see setup instructions or my Tech Guide, the link is in my sig) so that they are not affected then it should work. There will be no firmware update to the MicroCell if that's what you are asking.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

1st, The device now works no port forwards needed, as this device makes outbound connections, to does not receive unsolicited inbound connections.

2nd, You can easily reproduce the issues, using Microcell on any switch/router with EEE/GN/802.3az enabled on the swtich port the Microcell is on. Disable (if possible on the switch/router) it almost immediately syncs up., re-enabled it, it fails.

Again many modern switches/routers support this and many have no way to disable it, its sometimes not even clear on devices that have it that its even there.

I have packet captures  showing the Microcell spewing ton of ARP traffic when its connected to an ethernet port with EEE on it.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

You are correct in that port forwarding should not be necessary, but it does make for a more stable connection, and if there is a way to isolate it from the EEE protocols maybe there wouldn't be an issue, but it sounds like that's not possible. This is the first that I've heard of a connection issue with EEE. Don't expect Cisco/AT&T to come up with a firmware update for compatibility unless the problem becomes very widespread, and even then there is going to have to be a ton of documentation to support such a change.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

The big problem though is that the issue presents as an issue with the router, as the device appears to eventually get a IP via DHCP and generates traffic, makes its DNS request etc, but unless you packet capture the link/port you don't notice the shear spam of ARP request and other strangeness going on.

It even shows power, connection and GPS lights as solid, with only the 3G/Cell Bars flashing once every 3 sec or so. There is very little to show its everything but a router problem. and changing routers or switches probably sometimes fix the issues as the new device probably doesn't have EEE, but since it woks its chalked up as a "router or switch issue"

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

I have attached two Wireshark packet captures. Showing what the device does at Layer 2+ when EEE is enabled and what the device does on the same port same switch same everything except EEE disabled.

As you can see with EEE Disabled it boots up and connects within 143sec, which is when I stopped the capture.

With EEE turned on I let it run for 2441sec (40min) still no connection even though Power, Internet, and GPS; Lights were on solid spews ARP

Edit: apprently it wont let me attach pcapng.gz files.
Here are links to the files, if they are even allowed.
https://www.napshome.net/public/ATT-Microcell-working.pcapng.gz

https://www.napshome.net/public/ATT-Microcell-EEE-Broken.pcapng.gz

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

This is a very interesting issue you have brought up.  EEE puts the Ethernet transmitter in sleep mode when data is not present yet maintains receiving capabilities.  Evidently, this disrupts the VPN when the transmitter goes into sleep mode and it is not re-established upon wakeup or some other variation that prevents the Mcell from connecting.  I'm guessing here but that's what may be going on.

We've certainly seen switches cause problems with the Mcell as well as certain routers or gateways.  EEE has been around since about 2010 as has the Mcell so who knows?

It would certainly be worthwhile to note this as a potential issue to check when troubleshooting the Mcell connection.  Personally, I'd turn that stuff off (if you can) for all NICs in a home network.  There are too few ports being used in the home environment to produce any significant energy savings, IMHO.  You are better off turning devices off if they are idle.

Don't hold your breath for a firmware upgrade to resolve the problem.  The Mcell's future is fragile since WiFi-C is gaining momentum.  In a few years, I expect the Mcell to go the way of 8-track players like Otto has in his car. Smiley Wink

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

"Evidently, this disrupts the VPN when the transmitter goes into sleep mode and it is not re-established upon wakeup or some other variation that prevents the Mcell from connecting.  I'm guessing here but that's what may be going on."

This causes an issue at the hardware level of the Microcell, long before the VPN is involved.

"Personally, I'd turn that stuff off (if you can) for all NICs in a home network.  There are too few ports being used in the home environment to produce any significant energy savings, IMHO.  You are better off turning devices off if they are idle."

Except in many device, that is not possible.. It on, all the time, with no option to disable it. Main reason I can is becuase this is not a home user type of device..

"Don't hold your breath for a firmware upgrade to resolve the problem.  The Mcell's future is fragile since WiFi-C is gaining momentum.  In a few years, I expect the Mcell to go the way of 8-track players like Otto has in his car"

Sure except non ATT branded cannot use it, and in this location no phones are ATT branded.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.