What is happening with 3G?
toopie28's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, June 5th, 2013 4:05 PM

Microcell cannot find GPS signal

Wonder if you guys can help me with something.

Had the Mcell for 2 years. Worked so far - NOTHING has changed. (att even asked me if any new trees had been planted and no, no new trees)

Last Monday the Mcell 3g button started blinking. I called ATT to help fix the issue. After an hour and a half of the usual "troubleshooting" they told me to deactivate and reactivate and they would call me back to make sure it was fixed.

Since I deactivated and tried to re-activate -  the GPS cannot find a signal. It's been more than a week - I've even changed units to a new one - still no GPS lock.

Any ideas what this can be?  ATT is completely useless as you know and have no idea how to fix this issue.  My service is zero without the mcell.

Any ideas other than "a ticket is still open" would be very grateful.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

When you moved it around the room, was it still facing the same sky orientation? By that I mean an East facing window and then a West facing window. The MicroCell can't be any further away from a window than about 18" and it should be facing the window (either horizontally or perpendicularly) with no obstructions (walls, trees, roof overhangs, etc). If not, you could try a GPS extension antenna.

If you have a combo router/gateway unit then make sure you are using the ethernet port on the MicroCell and not the Computer port. What are your speeds (I'm sure they're fine but I have to ask)? Who is your ISP?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

Was the 3G light blinking green or red? Is the GPS light a solid green or is it blinking green as well? Try a hard reset by holding the reset button on the back for 30 seconds.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

It was blinking green. I did a hard reset too.

My concern is that something was triggered on my first phone call with the rep. The GPS was solid at this time - after the reset and all of the above - no gps lock either.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

Ok, so I'm clear, the GPS and the 3G lights are both blinking green? Have you moved the MicroCell to another location that is not 18" from a window with an unobstructed view of the sky? Is the orientation of the MicroCell the same? IOW, is the flat side perpendicular to the window or is it horizontal? I've seen some cases where the physical orientation of the MicroCell affected how well it locked onto the GPS. Make sure that your address is correct on the activation page and that AT&T has the same address in their database as well. If the addresses don't match the GPS coordinates, GPS lock won't take place which will affect 3G activation.

Do you have a separate router and modem/gateway or is it a single unit?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Ok, so I'm clear, the GPS and the 3G lights are both blinking green?

Correct - blinking.

Have you moved the MicroCell to another location that is not 18" from a window with an unobstructed view of the sky?

Yes, I've moved it around the room. 

Is the orientation of the MicroCell the same? IOW, is the flat side perpendicular to the window or is it horizontal? I've seen some cases where the physical orientation of the MicroCell affected how well it locked onto the GPS.

Just moved it again and made it perpendicular.

Make sure that your address is correct on the activation page and that AT&T has the same address in their database as well. If the addresses don't match the GPS coordinates, GPS lock won't take place which will affect 3G activation.

Yep, address the same.

Do you have a separate router and modem/gateway or is it a single unit?

Single unit.

I'm thinking that maybe - just maybe, putting it perpendicular may help. Cuz I've done everything else.  I will be in touch to let you know if that is the case.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Well, after more than 5 hrs with ATT, 7 looooong days with no service, talking to "tech" person after person - not ONE suggested simply turning the Microcell on it's side.

I cannot believe that something so simple worked. And they never even mentioned a GPS extension. I may look into that just in case.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

I still can't believe that's all it took to get a GPS lock.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Oh, and I'll be on the phone with those... people today to let them know that you came up with this solution.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks. This ACE position is purely voluntary so it's nice to get feedback when something works. The GPS transmitter/receiver is located along the top edge of the board (if memory serves me correctly) and if its not aimed directly at the sky (or something is blocking it) the signal can be variable or non-existent. As far as the external antenna goes, there is a little hole in the back of the MicroCell for an external antenna if you don't, or can't, place the MicroCell next to a window. The GPS connection on the back of the microcell is an MCX connection (not an MMCX) so be careful if you order. They can be found on Amazon for various lengths and work fairly well from what I understand.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.