For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
chuckgraham1949's profile

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

Sunday, September 21st, 2014 1:02 PM

Microcell block email

My email does not work on my Galaxy S5 while connected to my microcell.  If I walk over and power off the cell, the email starts working again. 

I "thought" the microcell was for "voice" only. 

The S5 is connected to wifi, and voice signal strength is great when the cell is on.  No email AND the mms is horribly slow.  Kill the cell, and email and mms works fine.

Any ideas ?

Chuck

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

There have been a myriad of issues with the Galaxy's, probably because of the various OS versions. Have you recently updated the phone or modified it in any way?

You are correct in that the MicroCell is primarily for voice. But if you have WiFi off, it will try to send data using the 3G spectrum, which is terribly slow (3.0Mbps max, or thereabouts) and spotty.

It sounds like the phone has difficulty sharing connectivity between your router and the MicroCell and gives priority to voice and not data. You can try a hard reset on the MicroCell, which puts it back to factory defaults and will force it to do the Initial Acitvation all over again (see my Tech Guide, link in my sig), or Reset Network Settings on your Samsung or what ever the equivalent of that would be.

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the reply:

1.  no updates on the S5

2.  wifi NOT off

3.  tried reset on the Microcell and that didn't help

Guess I should have stated in original post, there is a Galaxy S4 and Iphone 4S which have the same problem.  Sorry about that.

Chuck

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Ok. Is this a new MicroCell? What kind of internet connection do you have and how is the MicroCell setup?

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

Microcell is fairly new, about 1 1/2 years old.

Internet from AT&T Uverse "Max"

Followed "setup" instructions from AT&T, with only option changed is the "handoff".

There are 7 phones allowed to be connected.  2 live in house, others visit.  And I know

there are only 4 allowed at any one time.  I've reset it several times and only allowed one

phone while checking the email and mms.  I've given up on the email and mms to have

stable voice communication.  Just thought there might me someone here that knew of

a fix. 

Chuck

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Did the problem exist from day one of MicroCell use or is this a recent event? Did you enable or disable hand-off? You didn't really say.

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

Problem has existed from day one.

Handoff is disabled.  ( but problem exists whether enabled or disabled ).

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I will link your issue to the Samsung group and see if they have an idea.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.