For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
cshughes's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, May 27th, 2015 2:25 AM

Microcell & MMS

Hello,

My husband and I have Samsung devices (Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S4). We have no service at our house, so we had to purchase a microcell a couple years ago. Everything worked fine until recently, it will not let us send or receive MMS messages. We send a lot of pictures to family back and forth and are no longer able to do this. Once we get out of the microcell's range, it sends/receives pics just fine. We've tried resetting the microcell, double checking all of our messaging settings, etc. Nothing works. Any suggestions?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

There are lots of reported problems with the Galaxy devices. Most of the issues reported are due to the Android OS and not necessarily the MicroCell, especially if the MicroCell was working fine before. Have you received an update to the Android OS? I've asked Samsung directly about this and all they say is they are aware of some issues with some devices and the only thing they suggest is swapping SIM cards (different colored ones?) or upgrading to the new MicroCell (the black model) but I don't think that will solve the issue. Unfortunately it's up to the phone mfr to ensure that their devices comply with the requirements of the MicroCell. There are just too many devices and OS's for AT&T to be constantly tweaking the MicroCell requirements for compliance. It is possible that it could be on the AT&T side but we've had reports of Lollipop udates correcting the MMS/SMS issue in some cases. If you have a friend who has a different AT&T phone (non-Android) that you could put on your Approved Users List try that. If they can connect with no issues then that points to the Android OS.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

hello,

i was in ur boat for the last couple of months troubleshooting all types of reasoning why my mms and  visual voicemail, would not go out thru the MCell. To make a long , long, story short, i swapped out my DPH153 ( the upside down "Y" white microcell) to the newer DPH154 ( Shorter, Black, and no PC port ). Being i have had the previous MCell for a couple of years, i had no warranty. Although, i disagreed that if AT&T made some change to the MCell on the backend or wherever, and screwed MMS, why should i have to pay anyway. After talking to enough reps that kept telling me i need to go buy a new one, ( make sure u have at least an hour of spare time before u get on the phone )they eventually sent me over to the Retention department. i have 6 lines on my account, so i guess i was worth saving. Retention was super nice, didnt even care what my reasoning was for the new MCell, just wanted me to be a happy customer, which after being on hold for so long, i greatly appreciated. the deal was for me to go purchase one at an AT&T store, and once activated, to call back , and they would credit my account. it was a little incovienient, but worth saving the $150.00. i went and got it, activated it, which took minutes, i was suprised at that, called back in, was on hold for another 30 minutes, finally credited my account the $150.00. Happy Customer.

Now, the real question.... did it work ?

yes.

yes, it did.  The first thing i noticed when my old one wasnt working is that the data speeds were extremely S-L-O-W. i have 6 phones here, all different, so i knew it wasnt a phone issue, or a software problem, not on all 6. Smartphones are getting better n better cameras, the file sizes are getting bigger n bigger, even when it compresses. the compression is smaller, but its still a growing file size. Regardless, when i was in range of old MCell, i turned off wifi, and ran a speedtest. i mean it claims 3G, lets see. so minimum with full bars, id say about 1.3mb is acceptable. my speed was around .3mb , no 1 in front. Now normally, i would have never noticed this, cuz at home, most use wifi which is blazing, and it doesnt eat ur data. it then made sense why pics wouldnt send, im trying to send this huge file through this tiny hole, and it would just fail, bottom line. Ran a speedtest on new MCell, 3.40Mbps. very acceptable. sent multiple pics, no issues. Appears a little slower,about 10 seconds or so for sending to complete,  only because of the data. When im out in the wild, and have LTE, pics send in seconds, but of course, its 54Mbps or more. i just realized my short story got kinda long, sorry. Hope that helps you.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

The MicroCell tops out at around 3.0 - 4.0Mbps download speed. Realistically closer to 3.0. However, the more devices you have online speeds will drop depending on how your ISP/router handles the traffic.

Currently, there is very little difference between the white MicroCell's and the new, black MicroCell (DPH-154). The obvious differences are a smaller footprint, the loss of the external antenna port, and the Computer Port. Functionality-wise, there is no difference, for now. But AT&T does have future plans for it.

I'm glad you had a good experience with the Retention Department and weren't given too much of a run-around. We rarely get positive reports here because users don't want to take the time. Thanks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.