What is happening with 3G?
Deb225's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, September 19th, 2015 1:28 AM

Microcell Warranty Order - need power cord

Our Microcell would not power on. Warranty claim was processed. Received new microcell but not a cord. New microcell won't power on with the old cord. How do I get a replacement cord?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

8 years ago

Hello Community members!  Here is some additional information about this type of issue you might find useful.

Whenever a warranty order is processed for any device, including MicroCell, it’s standard procedure that accessories like power cords don’t get sent out with the replacement. When the MicroCell replacement is the same color as the original MicroCell (a true like-for-like exchange), a replacement power cord/AC adapter shouldn’t be required.

Our warranty ordering system has recently been updated so that if a white Microcell (DPH-151/153) is replaced with a black one (DPH154) a power cord/AC adapter does get sent automatically, because the white and black MicroCell models do not have compatible power cords. The reverse replacement (a black model replaced with a white model) should not happen, because the older white MicroCell model is no longer kept in stock in warranty systems.

As with all devices, while an AC adapter with the same voltage/amperage will work, it’s better to use the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) adapter. AT&T keeps OEM power cords for both models of MicroCell in stock and can send them out individually at no cost as needed using our accessory warranty program, and in situations when we are out of stock, we have the ability to complete full-kit MicroCell replacements that send a cord along with a replacement unit.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

You need to purchase a new ac adapter that is the same rating as the one that came with your current MicroCell (see the Tech Guide, link in my sig, for the ac adapter ratings).

I have been after AT&T for years to send appropriate ac adapters with the MicroCell replacements but apparently it still doesn't happen.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

By "cord", I'm assuming that you are referring to the AC adapter?

When AT&T sends out a replacement Mcell, they typically do not include another AC adapter.  Don't ask me why.  At any rate, you have two choices, contact AT&T and get another AC adapter or buy one yourself.

Personally, I'd buy one myself because I wouldn't want to wait for another adapter to be sent and they are very inexpensive.  Just make sure to get an AC adapter that has the same output voltage and amperage as the one that originally came with your Mcell.  You don't say whether you have a black or white Mcell but in either case, check the Tech Guide for the adapter specs for your Mcell.  See the link below in my signature.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@ATTMobilityCare

Thanks. It's nice to see that AT&T has finally updated their policy on ac adapter replacements. That will go a long way in helping customers who are having issues with their MicroCell due to failing ac adapters.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Given the track record of the OEM AC adapters for the Mcell, I think it is a stretch to say that they are better than any other cheap adapter.  As for saying that a replacement adapter shouldn't be required for a like-for-like Mcell warranty replacement, that ignores the very real potential for overlooking a rather common problem. 

AT&T doesn't seem to blink an eye when sending out multiple replacement Mcells to users who actually have bad adapters.  I realize that troubleshooting a bad adapter over the phone is difficult to do and the symptoms mimic a bad Mcell.  I would offer that a user who has tested their warrantied adapter and found it to be outputting an improper voltage, should be compensated with a new adapter.

That being said, this is certainly an improvement over the previous exchange policy and I'm glad to see the change.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I am in the same boat. Replacement microcell did not light up with existing AC power cord. However, I have been informed that the microcell program is no longer in place due to the rise of wifi calling. I understand that however wifi calling has its own technical issues beyond the scope of this thread and does not meet my needs. I think since I already received my replacement microcell, I should be entitled to a AC power cord which I was told I would need to purchase.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@tisaacs - the ac adapters have never been a replacement part. Once they fail, it is up to you find one that meets the specs. It's not hard and they are not that expensive. The only way ac adapters were replaced is when AT&T would send out a brand new, in-box, MicroCell. That hasn't happened for a long time. If you didn't receive a MicroCell in a box with cables, adapter, documentation, then you received a refurb unit. AT&T is not handling the EOL for the MicroCell very well. We were told that online sales would stop at the end of the year but support would last until sometime in 2018. Apparently that is not the case. I have a message into the Admins to clarify but there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what corporate policy is and what support is being told or is doing. 

WiFi-C is the way to go now if your phone is capable of that. If not, then your only alternative is to replace the adapter yourself or purchase a cellular booster, which can be pricey but seem to work very well. Even if you get your MicroCell back up and running with a new adapter, there's no telling when AT&T will close the ports to the mobility servers.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@tisaacs wrote:

I am in the same boat. Replacement microcell did not light up with existing AC power cord. However, I have been informed that the microcell program is no longer in place due to the rise of wifi calling. I understand that however wifi calling has its own technical issues beyond the scope of this thread and does not meet my needs. I think since I already received my replacement microcell, I should be entitled to a AC power cord which I was told I would need to purchase.

@tisaacs

See page 19. https://forums.att.com//cng/attachments/cng/3gmicrocell/14725/23/MicroCell%20Technical%20Guide%20v2-1.pdf

I plugged in the model number from @OttoPylot guide and found several for $10 to $13 on Amazon

D5B8BB6E-4F4E-4F07-8533-980A9330933A.png

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

As I mentioned earlier wifi calling has its quirks beyond the scope of this discussion. At least I finally got a rep who will send the cord!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@tisaacs - WiFi-C is definitely within the scope of this discussion because WiFi-C, like the MicroCell, is designed for in-home coverage when the tower signal is weak or non-existent. Neither one is meant to be a total replacement for a tower cellular signal.  The MicroCell requires 4 ports to remain open to the AT&T Mobility servers. WiFi-C requires 2 of the same 4 ports. If the MicroCell is no longer being supported by AT&T, then there is no reason for them to maintain all 4 ports for connectivity. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.