What is happening with 3G?
azndawgpound's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, May 6th, 2016 2:48 AM

Microcell Not Connecting!!!

I just purchased the microcell (black) and activated it online and connected it to my Netgear AC1200 Smart Wi-Fi Router (R6220). But it seems like my router is rejecting it since the ethernet light keeps blinking and keeps showing in the router log, [WLAN access rejected: incorrect security]. I'm thinking I have to tweak the settings to the router??? I haven't had luck researching this issue online. Only found something about port forwarding, not sure if this is the problem. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

You need to ensure that the  MicroCell is setup correctly and the minimum router requirements are being met as stated in the setup instructions and in my Tech Guide (see link in my sig). Read the instructions.

Some routers come pre-configured and sometimes the default configurations are not compatible with the MicroCell's router requirements. You will need to check with Netgear on how to check and set the minimum router requirements. AT&T, and us, can not help you with the router settings. That is your responsibility. Sounds harsh I know but with the countless routers, firmware versions, ISP requirements, and home LAN's it's impossible for us to keep up with configurations and how to check/modify the settings.

MINIMUM ROUTER REQUIREMENTS

DHCP enabled

Ports that must remain open (public and private):

123/UDP - for NTP traffic.

443/TCP - for HTTPS over TLS/SSL for provisioning and management traffic.

4500/UDP - for IPSec NAT Traversal (for all signaling, data, and voice traffic).

500/UDP - for IPSec Phase I prior to NAT detection, after which 4500/UDP is used.

IPSec Pass-Through is enabled

Block Fragmented Packets is disabled

NAT duties handled by only one device if you have a separate router and modem (gateway)

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Rookie question, but if the ports are not set right, the router won't recognized the microcell? I logged into the router and it's not showing the microcell as wired to it. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

It all depends on how your router is setup for DHCP. In theory, any device connected to the ethernet port of the router should automatically be assigned an ip address by the router. Try another enet port on the router to determine if the router "sees" the MicroCell and assigns it an address. Check cable connections, etc. I'm assuming that the MicroCell is connected directly to the router via a single enet cable, no switches, Powerline adapters, etc.

If this is a brand new MicroCell from AT&T it's unlikely that you have a defective MicroCell. Possible, but unlikely. Use the same cable that you have connected to the MicroCell and connect another device in place of the MicroCell to see if the router assings an ip address to the device.

The MicroCell needs to establish and maintain a 24x7 VPN connection so there is always communication going back and forth between the MicroCell, thru  your router, and to the AT&T Mobility servers.

Conncect the MicroCell to your router and then power cycle the entire system.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the reply! It's so weird, I connect any other device to the router, it works. Yes, the MicroCell is connected directly to the router via a singel enet cable. I will connect another device with the same cable after work. Hopefully, it's a defective cable. 🙂 

ATT rep told me to exchange the MicroCell. I guess if it still doesn't work, than it probably has to do with the router. 😞

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

Unfortunately AT&T is all too quick to hand out another MicroCell  instead of trying to fix the problem. However, if it does turn out to be a router configuration issue that is something you'll have to work out with Netgear and/or your ISP.

Like I said, use the same ethernet cable from the router that you currently have going to the MicroCell and replace the MicroCell with another device and see if the router recognizes it. If it does, then the cable and router enet port are fine. That rules out a physical problem with the router and cable and leaves either the router configuration or a faulty MicroCell. Keep in mind that the MicroCell needs to establish and maintain a 24x7 secure VPN so something in the router may be prohibiting the enet connection from being established.

Have you connected everything and the power cycled?

Who is your ISP and what kind of connection do you have (cable or DSL)?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

After I got the new microcell, it still wouldn't connect to the router, so I borrowed my friends router and it worked. 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

It's not uncommon for some routers, because of the way they come pre-configured, to not work with the MicroCell. That's one of the reasons why we can't help you configure your router to meet the minimum router requirements for the MicroCell. There are just too many router/modem/gateway models with different firmware versions etc for us, or AT&T for that matter, to keep up with.

That's the main reason why one of the first questions we ask is if your router is meeting ALL of the router requirements given for the MicroCell. Glad it's working now!

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

8 years ago

Hoping there was a resolution to this problem.

I used the Microcell on a previous router (a Lynksys) without any problems. The router is the only thing that has changes in the infrastructure (Lynksys died, picked up the R6220 to replace it).

One additional problem I am seeing is that as the microcell continues to attempt a connection, it eventuall causes the wi-fi to quit accepting new connections, forcing a router reboot.

Wondering if there is a firmware upgrade for the microcell, and how to find/install it.

BTW, Netgear suggested trying the following. I have just made the chance, and see no difference. Waiting 24 hours before taking next steps.

=================

1. Try changing the MTU size:

On the netgear genie page, click on Advanced tab>>setup>>WAN setup and change the MTU size to 1400 and click on apply.

2. Now click on Advanced tab>>setup>>wireless and uncheck the box next to "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" and click on apply.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

There is no way to manually update the MicroCell becuase of its closed system nature. If there is an update available it will be automatically updated during the nighttime maintenance window. Sometimes AT&T will do this during the day but that is rare because they don't want to interrupt service, and some updates require the MicroCell to automatically reboot. And, there is no way for the user to determine which updates, or what they were for, have been pushed to the MicroCell.

You really need to determine somehow if ALL of the minimum router requirements are being met with the new router for optimal performance. It sounds as if the router is not really meant for a VoIP-like service such as AT&T's because of the way it operates.

Remember, the MicroCell requires a 24x7 secure VPN connection to the AT&T Mobility Servers. Anything that interrupts that connection will force the MicroCell to attempt reconnection, and that sounds like what's happening. Unless you can isolate (i.e. port forward) the four required ports to a statically assigned ip address for the MicroCell so that nothing interrupts the communication, you're going to continue to have issues with that router.

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks once again.

I tripple checked the router. All ports are fully open, and no other port oriented issues are obvious (no partental controls, blocked sites, etc.). Virgin and wide open.

I did nail the MAC address of the microcell to 192.168.1.250. This changed nothing -- the microcell still does not connect on the LAN (ethernet light keeps blinking, and the device never appears on the "attached devices" list).

Given that all ports are open and the MAC address is nailed, there appears to be some other LAN connection negotiation issue afoot.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.