For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
mrbungtou's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, March 9th, 2014 5:13 PM

Microcell Connectivity on wireless broadband...not satellite broadband

I just purchased the microcell and the 3g light flashes i have wired as priority, however I do have a wireless line of sight broadband connection.  Any thoughts out there?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Yep. Even if Bertram can boost your speeds it won't make any difference.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Well I've made a little headway here. My provider has been very helpful with opening the proper ports on their network and amazingly I have been able to place and receive calls so far. Now I'm going to be open minded about this as I'm sure the service will be spotty. Also the tech support rep seemed fairly confident that he could get this thing to work for me...I will post more after running this thing for a few days.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

That would be great if you can get it to work because the MicroCell is not supposed to work, or at least work reliably, on a wireless network.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

@ Otto - Can you point me to where it is said that the Mcell won't work on a wireless network? 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I got that from the Wireless Home Phone group but I'm checking on it now. Doesn't seem right but maybe wireless broadband is similar to satellite. Latency is too great to make it reliable so they just make a blanket statement that it's not supported. Or, now that I think about it, maybe they are referring to WiFi connection to the MicroCell and not necessarily from the MicroCell out.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Ok guys just a little update. Honestly I can't complain with how this is working. I live in an area where I would have to stand on my roof to get a decent signal. So far I have not had dropped calls and the quality is great. I did notice that when I put a load on my connection ie netflix that it may kick the 3G out briefly but comes back a short time later. I realize my case doesn't fit the mold however from what I have experienced it can work, maybe not to the full potential but well enough for me. Thanks again for all the input and hopefully this will help someone else.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

That's good to know. Thanks for the post. I did amend the Guide to indicate that wireless broadband might not work due to latency etc so each case will be different. Glad that it's working for you.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Have had the Microcell tower for about a year and it has worked fine with my IPhone 4.  After the last Apple update, it has not connected.  I am not computer or Iphone literate, but have tried everything including a 2 hour online chat with ATT who supposedly reset the Microcell on their end, and I reregistered the device on my end. Still no luck. I cannot make or receive calls from my home because they will connect initially then drop.  The 3G light is flashing continually.  All wires are secure, nothing has changed in the setup.  Could the update on the phone be the culprit?? Yes, I tried resetting network settings 3 times.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

If the 3G light is flashing green then it's not necessarily the iPhone. The phone will not affect how the MicroCell connects to the AT&T servers, which is what the flashing green 3G light means (I'm assuming it's flashing green and not red). Have you tried a hard reset of the MicroCell? There's a small hole in the back of the MicroCell that you can insert a paperclip in to depress the reset button. Turn off the power to the MicroCell, depress the reset button and then turn the power back on while still depressing the button. Keep pressing for about 30 seconds and then let the MicroCell go thru the Initial Activation phase. AT&T is having some intermittent issues with MicroCell's losing connectivity and then being unable to reconnect so let's see if this works and then take it from there.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

Our area where I live is a few miles from the main town.  There's a mountain in the way also!  The ISP uses a wireless backhaul to provide internet service to our area.  I have never had any issues running my femotocell from Verizon and now with AT&T.

There is actually several 'hops' going to the headend up in my area.  There are a total of 4 antennas to get broadband up where I live.

..Just wanted to share my experience with wireless broadband as well.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.