For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
mrbungtou's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, March 9th, 2014 5:13 PM

Microcell Connectivity on wireless broadband...not satellite broadband

I just purchased the microcell and the 3g light flashes i have wired as priority, however I do have a wireless line of sight broadband connection.  Any thoughts out there?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

The Wireless Home Phone product provides voice service only, not data, so I can see why a Mcell wouldn't work on that system.

Wireless broadband is a different animal and is designed to transmit data. It is functionally equivalent to me using a repeater to connect my Mcell wirelessly to my router.

Connection metrics are another matter though.  The OP's limited bandwidth, poor latency and jitter metrics don't look good for a reliable connection or for good voice quality.  We'll see what he has to report after using the Mcell for a while.

It would seem that his problem stemmed from the ISP blocking ports that the Mcell needs to operate.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

The WHP will be covered with my next update to the Guide but basically it connects via the GSM cellular network for voice only calls. You have to connect the corded or cordless phone to the WHP. If there is a strong enough macrocell signal (tower) you can connect. If not, you can add the phone number of the WHP to the Approved Users list of the MicroCell and use the MicroCell to try and connect to a tower. However, any issues with the MicroCell will also affect the WHP if you are connecting that way.

I would agree about the blocking of the ports but  the connection metrics you mention are what's going to make it unreliable. I've put out the question to the Admins about wireless broadband. It may be that because it's wireless and subject to all kinds of issues, they just don't want to support it and state that it's not compatible, which technically would be true in the majority of cases.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

I would need to know more information.  Who is your ISP and what equipment do they provide in your home?  Manufacturer and model number please.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I live in rural wisconsin and the Isp is Bertram Wireless www. bertramwireless.com, they provide a 2.4mhz antenna on house and the "modem" is a Motorola power supply essentially that the Cat 5 power/data cable plugs into which I have plugged directly into the Microcell.
Device Information
Device Type :
2.4GHz - Subscriber Module - 0a-00-3e-27-a9-9a
Software Version :
CANOPY 11.1 SM-DES
Board Type :
P10
FPGA Version :
PLD Version :
Uptime :
02:10:21
System Time :
03:17:02 08/03/2001 UTC
Ethernet Interface :
100Base-TX Full Duplex
Antenna :
Vertical
Temperature :
21 °C / 69 °F
Subscriber Module Stats
Session Status :
REGISTERED VC 22 Rate 2X/1X
Registered AP :
0a-00-3e-23-1a-8c
Color Code :
102 ( Primary )
Channel Frequency :
2457.5 MHz
Power Level :
Actual: -74 dBm Min: -76 dBm Max: -69 dBm
Transmit Power Level :
25 dBm
Jitter (Interference Level) :
Actual: 3 Min: 0 Max: 14
Air Delay :
191 approximately 1.777 miles (9387 feet)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

The MicroCell needs a wired internet connection. If you internet is provided via wireless then in all likelyhood the MicroCell won't work.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

So your installation is:  antenna > Mcell > computer?  What download/upload speeds do you have with this service?  Or do you have a router in your home?

@ Otto - You may be right but this could be analogous to my wireless repeater hard wired to the Mcell yet communicating wirelessly to my router.

Bertram states on their website that their nominal speed is 20x that of 56K.  Given the real world, I would surmise that the connection bandwidth is marginal if not insufficient for Mcell usage.  In addition, the Air Delay of 191 (I'm assuming this is a latency number in ms) is marginal and the jitter is definitely poor, averaging 3% with a maximum of 14%.  This would certainly affect the quality of the VOIP and possibly cause dropouts and disconnects.

In addition, Bertram states that for gaming that additional security ports will need to be opened for a $10/month fee.  I'm suspecting that they may have ports necessary for the Mcell to operate closed for security reasons.  The OP should ask Bertram if the ports needed for the Mcell to operate (123, 443, 500 and 4500) are open.

Nonetheless, Bertram states that VOIP services like Vonage can work but that they don't support behind the scenes installations of these products.

All things being said, I doubt the OP will be successful in getting the Mcell to work and if they do, the call quality will be marginal at best and most likely inadequate for conversation.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

We know what the issues are with Vonage and I've briefly touched upon this in my next Guide update (1.5), which will be posted soon, when I discuss AT&T's Wireless Home Phone ("the MicroCell is not compatible with wireless broadband").

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

That answers that question.....

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you guys for the information. My subscribed speeds are 3.0/1.0 which I just checked and I'm nowhere near that...I'm guessing it fluctuates throughout the day. As a last ditch effort I will call the provider and see if there is anything possible they can do, other than that I'll chock this up to a loss for me.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

I'd be curious as to Bertram's response to the ports that need to be open for the Mcell to operate.  Vonage requires similiar (but not exactly the same) ports to function.  Doesn't hurt to ask but they may balk at opening the ports needed for your Mcell (especially for free) if they feel it will compromise their network security.

Let me know.....

Hopefully you can get your money back for the Mcell if this all fails......

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.