Microcell Connectivity on wireless broadband...not satellite broadband

Tutor

Microcell Connectivity on wireless broadband...not satellite broadband

I just purchased the microcell and the 3g light flashes i have wired as priority, however I do have a wireless line of sight broadband connection.  Any thoughts out there?

Message 1 of 28 (5,999 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author mrbungtou
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Microcell Connectivity on wireless broadband...not satellite broadband

The WHP will be covered with my next update to the Guide but basically it connects via the GSM cellular network for voice only calls. You have to connect the corded or cordless phone to the WHP. If there is a strong enough macrocell signal (tower) you can connect. If not, you can add the phone number of the WHP to the Approved Users list of the MicroCell and use the MicroCell to try and connect to a tower. However, any issues with the MicroCell will also affect the WHP if you are connecting that way.

I would agree about the blocking of the ports but  the connection metrics you mention are what's going to make it unreliable. I've put out the question to the Admins about wireless broadband. It may be that because it's wireless and subject to all kinds of issues, they just don't want to support it and state that it's not compatible, which technically would be true in the majority of cases.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 28 (5,788 Views)
Tutor

Ok guys just a little update. Honestly I can't complain with how this is working. I live in an area where I would have to stand on my roof to get a decent signal. So far I have not had dropped calls and the quality is great. I did notice that when I put a load on my connection ie netflix that it may kick the 3G out briefly but comes back a short time later. I realize my case doesn't fit the mold however from what I have experienced it can work, maybe not to the full potential but well enough for me. Thanks again for all the input and hopefully this will help someone else.
Message 17 of 28 (5,667 Views)
ACE - Master

That's good to know. Thanks for the post. I did amend the Guide to indicate that wireless broadband might not work due to latency etc so each case will be different. Glad that it's working for you.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 28 (5,658 Views)

Have had the Microcell tower for about a year and it has worked fine with my IPhone 4.  After the last Apple update, it has not connected.  I am not computer or Iphone literate, but have tried everything including a 2 hour online chat with ATT who supposedly reset the Microcell on their end, and I reregistered the device on my end. Still no luck. I cannot make or receive calls from my home because they will connect initially then drop.  The 3G light is flashing continually.  All wires are secure, nothing has changed in the setup.  Could the update on the phone be the culprit?? Yes, I tried resetting network settings 3 times.

Message 19 of 28 (5,195 Views)
ACE - Master

If the 3G light is flashing green then it's not necessarily the iPhone. The phone will not affect how the MicroCell connects to the AT&T servers, which is what the flashing green 3G light means (I'm assuming it's flashing green and not red). Have you tried a hard reset of the MicroCell? There's a small hole in the back of the MicroCell that you can insert a paperclip in to depress the reset button. Turn off the power to the MicroCell, depress the reset button and then turn the power back on while still depressing the button. Keep pressing for about 30 seconds and then let the MicroCell go thru the Initial Activation phase. AT&T is having some intermittent issues with MicroCell's losing connectivity and then being unable to reconnect so let's see if this works and then take it from there.

Message 20 of 28 (5,187 Views)
Teacher

Our area where I live is a few miles from the main town.  There's a mountain in the way also!  The ISP uses a wireless backhaul to provide internet service to our area.  I have never had any issues running my femotocell from Verizon and now with AT&T.

There is actually several 'hops' going to the headend up in my area.  There are a total of 4 antennas to get broadband up where I live.

..Just wanted to share my experience with wireless broadband as well.

Message 21 of 28 (5,164 Views)
ACE - Master

Interesting. The MicroCell will work with a wireless internet connection but it can be dicey at times. Satellite is definitely out, DSL/cable no problemo.... wireless? ehh.

Message 22 of 28 (5,159 Views)
ACE - Professor

I checked out the Wildblue/Exede forums regarding the Mcell and found that many people are using the Mcell with their satellite ISP.  Aside from a modem firmware issue about a year ago that interupted service for many Mcell users that Exede fixed with an firmware upgrade, these users seem to think that the Mcell works fairly well, all things considered.

A few forum posters commented on the latency issue, indicating latencies about where I predicted in my post in this forum to someone asking about satellite internet and the Mcell.  However, they said that it was an acceptable trade-off given the fact that these people have satellite internet because of their remote location and typically have no cell tower coverage either.

Exede has even started their own VOIP service and given the limitations, users are indicating that it does work.

So to say that satellite broadband and the Mcell can't work isn't entirely accurate.  Many people with no other options are using a Mcell on their satellite ISP network.  I suppose a laggy connection is better than nothing given their remote geographical locations.  There are other issues like rain-fade that can reduce satellite ISP bandwidth to a crawl and will affect the Mcell adversely.

It is probably better suited for cellphone texting than voice.  One could simply adopt the old two-way walkie-talkie protocol of saying "Over" when they conclude speaking so that the person on the other end knows they can now talk without talking over the other person.

Message 23 of 28 (5,151 Views)
ACE - Master

While it is true that the MicroCell will work, at times, with satellite ISP, it is a service that AT&T will not support at present. Any confgurational changes that the satellite operator does may adversely affect the MicroCell as we have seen in the past. In cases such as that, AT&T will not offer support and refer you back to the satellite ISP. The MicroCell is designed and tested for land-based telecommunications. That may change in the future if the AT&T-DirecTV rumored acquistion goes thru but that's way down the road.

Message 24 of 28 (5,149 Views)
ACE - Professor

Agreed, but like I said.....something is better than nothing.

Faced with no land-line internet service or cellphone coverage in the hinterlands, I would certainly consider trying out a Mcell with my satellite ISP.  If one can deal with the latency problem, it might be worth it.  Many people do think it's worth it and accept the technical short-comings and lack of AT&T support.  Exede does seem to be receptive and helpful to users who do have Mcells.  You can always return the Mcell if it doesn't meet your needs.

Message 25 of 28 (5,145 Views)
ACE - Master

I agree with that as well. Doesn't hurt to try as long as the customer understands that any issues that may result, official support by AT&T (other than possibly us) will be non-existent. Their stance is basically a blanket statement. The MicroCell will not work with a satellite ISP. That covers them from any support related issues because it if does, or did work, AT&T just says they were lucky and leaves it at that. I've had this discussion before with the engineers on a con-call and my feeling from the conversation is yeah, it may work, but they're just covering their ***es for when it doesn't.

Message 26 of 28 (5,143 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

I know Hughes is starting their VoIP solution as well.  Guess satellite broadband network has been improving over the years!  I knew back in the day, you couldn't run VoIP, or anything needing low-latency (Gaming, etc).  Things have changed.

Like you guys said above, it might not be the best solution, but some of us don't have a choice, ROFL.  Over a year I was running Verizon's femotocell with no issues regarding the connection.  It was hardware-related that brougt me over to AT&T.

I can relate on AT&T's stance on not supporting satellite connections and covering their butts.

Message 27 of 28 (5,122 Views)
ACE - Master

What would help us, in the future, is if we knew exactly what kind of internet connection you have when you post your issue. It does make a difference when we try to help.

Message 28 of 28 (5,114 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.