For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
BNelly83's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Sunday, April 8th, 2018 10:00 PM

Can I activate my Microcell and bring it home to use?

I have the 151 model and cannot get a 3g solid light (all others lights are solid including gps). I have Viasat satellite which gets 30 down and about 3 up. I understand that Microcell isn't designed for this type of internet, but I've also read where people have used it with slower providers like Excede. Wondering if I take it to work and plug it in to the cable network, will it activate then be able to be brought home and used? I don't care if there is lag, I just need a phone to ring in case of emergencies.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@BNelly83 - the MicroCell is designed for land-based internet service only (DSL, cable, or fiber). It is not intended for satellite and/or wireless broadband. It can work but AT&T, and us, will not support those types of connections. AT&T states as much in their documentation and I mention it in my Tech Guide (see link in my sig line) as well. There is nothing that AT&T/Cisco can do. If you can get at least one or two bars of cellular signal with your phone you might want to consider a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide, link is also in my sig line).

The DPH-151 is the old, original MicroCell. The newest, and last model was the black, DPH-154. It is not sold anymore because AT&T discontinued the MicroCell (sales) as of the end of 2017. AT&T will continue to support the MicroCell thru this year but there is no telling on how they will continue to offer the service. WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is what AT&T, and us, recommend now if your phone is capable. Other than a cellular booster mentioned above or WiFI-C, your only other option is to switch carriers.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

If only ATT would allow WiFi calling on the Pixel 2 like every other
carrier.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@BNelly83 - WiFi-C is available on a number of different devices with a post paid cellular account. I'm not familiar with the Pixel 2 so I don't know if it has the hardware requirement for WiFi-C or not. Not all phones do.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

It has the right guts, ATT just chooses not to enable those features because it's not an ATT branded device or an iphone.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@BNelly83 - yep. That's the Catch 22. If it's not a model of phone they sell, it's not qualified for WiFi-C even if it is capable. Only a post paid AT&T cellular account, and a phone that AT&T sells, will be able to access WiFi-C on AT&T's network.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

I eventually (after going through several bad units) found a microcell on eBay, and it seems to work properly.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@BNelly83 - that's good to hear. Just keep an eye on the ac adapter if it is the original one if you start to have issues because they seem to fail a lot sooner than the MicroCell itself. Remember, satellite broadband is not supported by AT&T, and, as I said before, it can work but any change or update on your ISP side could affect the MicroCell and you will be back to square one again and there is nothing that AT&T can do. The hardware on the MicroCells is the same, as is the firmware. The only exception is the DPH-154, which is the black model and the last in the series. The radios were improved a bit but that's about all.  If it were me, I would start thinking about your options, WiFi-C, a cellular booster, or switch carriers.

AT&T will continue to support the MicroCell for land-based internet service for the time being. But that will not last forever as the service will eventually be phased out.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.