What is happening with 3G?
jlrd2000's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, December 24th, 2013 3:41 PM

Microcell 3g Light Blinking For 1 Week After Power Outage

I live in Caretta WV. A week ago today, we had a power outage that lasted for 7 hours. When power came back on, my 3g light (the one at the bottom) keeps blinking green. All other lights are solid green. I have tried the following...

Hard reset

Power cycle all devices...modem, router, microcell

Priority mode (modem, microcell, router)

Replaced ethernet cord

Replaced power cord

Replaced modem

Increased dsl speed via my service provider

Deactivated my microcell via the att site

When trying to reactivate my microcell, it will not go beyond the 1st step. It doesnt even attempt to complete step 1. 

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Cool. It could have been something was not completely removed from the MicroCell registers that the hard reset didn't get but complete lack of power resolved it. Sometimes it just takes a couple of complete Initial Activations to "fix" what ever was wrong and a hard reset or complete power removal would do that.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

If the 3G light blinks green after all you've done, including a priority connection (which bypasses the router), something is prohibiting you from reaching AT&T's servers. Either it's your connection or the MicroCell has failed. I'm assuming that your internet connection is fine. It could be that the power outage in your area has affected an upstream switch (possibly one that handles port 4500 data) which would prevent you from connecting. You might want to check with your ISP and have them run a line test or see if they can determine if the necessary ports are open all the way to AT&T's servers. I'd also check the ac adapter and see if it feels hot. It shouldn't be any hotter to the touch than the top of the MicroCell where the vents are.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you. I will be giving my ISP a call. My internet connection is fine and the adapter is the same temp as the top of the microcell 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Ok. Just keep in mind that your ISP probably won't be able to help you troubleshoot the MicroCell other than the line test and to check for open or bad port connections. Whose your ISP btw?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

OTT Communications is my ISP.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Ok. I'm not familiar with them. The reason I asked is that TWC recently merged with another local ISP and in doing so instituted some "security" measures that basically blocked port 4500 which rendered the MicroCell useless (blinking green 3G light), and they don't seem to be concerned about fixing it for their customers that rely on AT&T's MicroCell for in-house cellular use.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

In an interesting twist of fate, I unplugged the power from my microcell for 28 hours and it works! I picked right up within about 10 minutes. Weird! 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for all of your help. Reading your troubleshooting guide as well as your posts helped me with troubleshooting 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Glad the Guide was of some use to you. I will be updating it sometime in January so check back periodically.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.