What is happening with 3G?
MrDinNeed's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, August 23rd, 2016 2:00 PM

MicroCell using Latitude and Longitude

I have been trying activate my MicroCell for a few weeks, but the last step will not complete. One of the fixes for this issue is to make sure that my address is correct. After doing some looking, it seems that the physical address of my location and my GPS location do not match up. I have two questions here.

1. Will the 500-600 feet of difference effect the MicroCell communicating with the network?

2. Can I use my latitude and longitude to more closely pinpoint my location on the AT&T network?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Do you live in a rurual area with a route number for an address or something other than a street address? The exact location of the MicroCell is an FCC requirement for E911. Quite often rural addresses or brand new developments don't have updated or accurate E911 locations in the database, which AT&T uses to pinpoint the MicroCell so they know where it is in relationship to the nearest tower for service area location, handing off, timing, etc.

At 500-600 feet, you could just be on the fringe of what AT&T has in their locational database. I don't know how accurate the received GPS coordinates have to be.

You might want to contact your local Emergency Services and see what they have for your address as far as longitude/latitude and see how that compares to what you come up with. You can send that information to AT&T and they can do, sometimes, what's called a GPS Bypass, which is basically manually adding your location to their database. However, that quite often is only temporary. AT&T will peridoically perform maintenance at night at part of that maintenace is verifying your location. If they can't verify it by GPS then why will try to use the local tower information. If that fails, then you will wake up in the morning with a flashing green 3G light, and have to start all over again.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

The location of the MicroCell is in a small town and I have an address here. The problem is that the location of the microcell on the property, which is sizable, is 500-600 feet away from where the address would be on GPS.

I will try to contact AT&T and see if they have a solution through customer care (wish me luck...).

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

The address of the MicroCell has to be the physical location of the MicroCell, otherwise you will get GPS location errors. If the physical location is on property that is not within range at all of a macrocell (local tower), it may not be considered part of the MicroCell Service Area because there is no tower close enough for the MicroCell to perform the necessary checks required for activation. A GPS Bypass may work for awhile but it might not be permanent for the reasons I gave above.

What kind of internet service do you have where the MicroCell is physically located? It has to be land-based, DSL or cable, because the MicroCell is not designed for satellite or wireless broadband. And in fact, those types of internet services are not supported at all by AT&T.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

The MicroCell is plugged into a Cable Broadband. Currently all lights are solid, but the top light just blinks occasionally. This could be associated to ports that need to be opened on the network, but I thought I'd check on the GPS first.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Is Cable Broadband the name of your ISP or the type of service? We've had satellite/wireless broadband confused with cable internet because there was a cable in the home connecting to a modem and/or gateway and the customer assumed it was cable internet where in fact the cable was connected to a transceiver on the roof. I just want to make sure of your internet service.

If you have the new, black MicroCell, then the top light is the 3G light. Is it flashing green or red? If it is flashing green, then you do not have, or are losing connectivity to the AT&T Mobility servers. If the 3G light is flashing red, you do not have location verification. The GPS will flash green while it is performing a location check. Once it turns a solid green, that just means the check has been completed. It does not mean that location was verified.

So....

1. Who is your ISP?

2. What kind of speeds are you supposed to get?

3. What model of MicroCel do you have (white or black), and did you purchase it brand new from AT&T?

4. Did you follow the setup instructions and ensure that the minimum router requirements are being met?

5. Explain you setup.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.