For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Monday, January 26th, 2015 7:08 PM

MicroCell not sending MMS (pix too large)

Had MicroCell for 2 years, just recently it would not send MMS with pix from my Gallery even though the pix were reduced by the native messaging app.

TMALSS, after an hour with AT&T tech support, a trip to VZW for advice on my FiOS router, hard resets to router and MicroCell with no solution, and three days of head-scratching and testing, it was by chance determined by posting the issue on another forum, that the problem was related to the size of the pix being sent.

The native texting app on my LG G3 has no user limit settings for the size of pix.  An alternate app, like Textra or Handscent does.  Switching to Textra and reducing the limit from 1000 kb to 600 kb solved the problem of sending MMS on my MicroCell.  

I wish AT&T tech support was more informed on this issue. The problem started recently and affected my LG phone and my wife's HTC phone.  I suspect an automatic upgrade to the MicroCell software was the culprit. AT&T should have been aware of the fallout that reducing the size limit on MMS would cause, and have advised their tech support people to expect calls related to this problem.  

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

Are you using WiFi in conjunction with your phone? We've never experienced any difficulties sending large pics via our iPhones with iMessage. SMS may be different but that should be considered data by your provider and sent via your WiFi connection and not thru VoIP. I am not aware of any updates by AT&T that would cause this.

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

Here's where I got a clue about the 600 kb limit with AT&T

https://forums.att.com/t5/Other-Phones-Devices/At-amp-t-MMS-sending-limit/td-p/3376361

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize that AT&T was still limiting MMS to 600kb. I know I've sent, and received pics larger than that but most of the time they come to me as iMessages. I suppose it's the way AT&T chooses to handle text messages (SMS), picture messages (MMS), and iMessage, which uses Apple's servers and not the carriers.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hey @Anonymous

Thank you for sharing this finding with the community! At this time, the size limit for MMS over our network is 1MB, however it’s certainly possible that the Microcell is not able to allow sending of MMS files of this size. If you try limiting the file size via those messaging apps to 900kb for example, does it allow the message to send? I’m wondering if there’s a mismatch between true 1MB (1024kb) and 1000kb perhaps causing an issue.

Thanks,

Charise

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

If I want to send a high resolution photo, I'll use email. 

The 600 KB limit is slow going out, but it works

I'll use 300 KB, the minimum setting in Textra, which will suffice in a text.

Textra has only settings of 300 KB, 600 KB, 1 MB, 2 MB and no limit.

I don't have the technical skills to determine if the pix I am sending along with the text is 999 KB, 1000 KB or 1023 KB. I'll leave it to AT&T to nail down the cause of the problem.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to whether AT&T is still limiting MMS to 600kb or 1Mb. I'll see what I can find out.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

As a follow-up...... the official limit is 1.0Mb not 600kb as was originally listed on the AT&T site. There is no information that the MicroCell limits, or does not limit the MMS size.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

Hello
I am new to this forum.......
I have theDPH-153. It has worked fine for over two years, except occasionally it starts dropping calls. The fix has been to do a soft reboot. Also, I added an external antennae about six months ago.
On March 7,the sending of SMS/MMS messages started slowing down. SMS up to a minute.......MMS four to five minutes or not at all. We have never had this problem previously. I have tested with photos 170kb to just over 1mb.
Currently, we are using a Nexus 4 and an iPhone 4.
I have done a reset but have hesitated to deactivate/re activate since the phone part is fine.

I appreciate any suggestions ...thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

Do you see the same slowdown on both phones?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

yes...both phones..

A side note.....your technical guide is excellent!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.