What is happening with 3G?
123-mnb's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, July 1st, 2013 3:42 AM

MicroCell may have died today

I noticed that I no longer had service on my iphone this evening. I went to the MicroCell to see if it needed to be re-started. However, the device was dark -- not a light anywhere. When I unplugged the power supply from the outlet, it was really hot, and the tip that plugs into the MicroCell was almost too hot to touch.

Has anyone else experienced this with their MicroCell? Do you think the power supply went bad, or was it the MicroCell itself? I'm just looking for ideas before I head to the ATT store. I really don't want to fork over full retail for a replacement MicroCell if I don't have to.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

Sounds like maybe the power adapter died or the outlet shorted. Check to make sure the outlet is ok. If you need to replace the ac adapter, make sure you replace it with exactly the same or better rated adapter. Ler us know how it turns out.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

If the ac adapter was too hot to touch then it does indeed sound like the adapter, especially if the Power light is off. I'd plug something else into the outlet just to make sure that the outlet is good. If it is, then you should replace your adapter with one that has the same power ratings as the one that died. I doubt if a Corporate Store has replacement adapters so you'll have to go to Radio Shack or someplace like that. Again, just make sure that it is rated exactly the same or better.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I replaced the power suppy, and the MicroCell is now working fine. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

Great! If you select Kudo on my reply or Accept as Solution, that helps others if they use the Search for answers.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

Which power supply did you get ?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Check the listed power rating and polarity in the Tech Guide.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

More AC adapter problems.....it's an epidemic!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Sent you a pm.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

my micro cell is not working.  all lights are on, but 4 of our phones don't connect.  it was working really well for the past few years. 

It started with MMS messages not going through.  this was a few days ago.  I did all the start ups of devices and everything else under the sun.

Is it time to change it?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

Did you update any of your phones prior to the MMS problem? The only reason I ask is that MMS/SMS has been a real problem for some of the Android devices which seems to have correlated with an update.Any other hardware updates (ISP, router, etc)?

If not, test the adapter with a voltmeter. It should read 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load. If it doesn't, then replace the adapter with one of the exact same power rating and see if that corrects the problem. The MMS issue is probably a separate issue but you should at least to be able to connnect and see the M-Cell alpha tag displayed like you used to and place/receive calls.

We have seen all kinds of strange issus when the adapters start to fail.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.